Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Movie Review: Wonder Woman [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
The "comedy" could have easily been left out, which would have made it a better movie

I disagree. Both Man of Steel and BvS were widely panned for being too serious and not much fun. DC really had to lighten their movies up a bit to keep up with Marvel.

Yes. But also, the comedy didn't feel like it was added in some formulaic manner. They made it an integral part of the story telling.

So we obviously have a difference of opinion here which I respect. However I think slowguy makes the point that the comedy was formulaic, i.e. it was necessary to make the movie successful to the masses. It needed to be "fun" to be successful. I think that's where the movie lost me. The comedy seemed like it was inserted because someone felt it was needed to sell tickets. Since the movie is a box office success I think the formula worked. Just not for me.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Wonder Woman [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seem to have two definitions of formulaic working here. I agree with one and disagree with the other.

Quote:
slowguy makes the point that the comedy was formulaic, i.e. it was necessary to make the movie successful to the masses.

This is not what's generally meant by formulaic. To take it to an extreme: "good writing" might be necessary to make the movie successful to the masses, but we would never describe "good writing" as formulaic.

Quote:
The comedy seemed like it was inserted because someone felt it was needed to sell tickets.

I could agree with this wording. The idea is that the comedy (or whatever) must be inserted in a way that isn't original, or interesting, or compelling, or even that funny. In fact, it must be awkward, because it must somehow show itself in opposition to good writing in order to be labeled formulaic.

Edit: needless to say, I don't think the last definition applies to the comedy in wonder woman.
Last edited by: SH: Jun 9, 17 10:09
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Wonder Woman [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a good-to-excellent (in spots) superhero movie. Chris Pine ably supported Gal Gadot's efforts as Diana/Wonder Woman, and so did several of the other actors. It's also a qualitative step up from last year's (Lady) "Ghostbusters" reboot (and who was clamoring for that one?) and it proves that women superheros can carry a movie on their own, when the script is done well and the actors are up to the task.

Besides, there are really only seven basic plots in writing (both script and novel-based fiction). And there are at least five elements of those seven in "Wonder Woman," which is something that helps its formula set it apart from others in this portion of the DC extended universe.

Overall, 3.5/5 stars, with it sometimes hitting 4 stars -- which means it's a good popcorn movie for the ticket price offered at the local cineplex. Guaranteed, there's a sequel coming, and why not? This one was an enjoyable time, so why shouldn't the next one be as well?

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Wonder Woman [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only a sequel, but the Justice League is coming soon. I'll be very interested to see if DC introduces more villans for the Legion of Doom. Lex Luthor can't carry the bad-guy story line alone.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Wonder Woman [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There will definitely be a WW2. My guess is they just need to hammer out the details now that they know how successful the first was.

JL is coming fairly soon. The main bad guy wil be Steppenwolf, uncle of Darkseid and one of his main generals. My early guess is that they'll build to Darkseid kind of like Marvel is building to Thanos.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My feelings are not mixed. I thought it was very boring. WW finally joins the battle at the front nearly 90 minutes in! My wife and I discussed leaving at this point.
I am surprised at all of the positive reviews. I thought this one was much worse than Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman. If you are on the fence about it, don't waste your money - rent is later if you must.
John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowguy, I agree 100%. I could not put my finger on why I did not like the movie.
But you got it right here.
Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great review. I'd like to add:

Pros: some of the best comic stills of any comic movie to date. Lots of really good "poster" shots.

Cons: I would have liked this to be more Wonder Woman and less Wonder Girl. Maybe that'll happen in Justice League as she'll be ~100 years older.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Wonder Woman [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
My feelings are not mixed. I thought it was very boring. WW finally joins the battle at the front nearly 90 minutes in! My wife and I discussed leaving at this point.
I am surprised at all of the positive reviews. I thought this one was much worse than Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman. If you are on the fence about it, don't waste your money - rent is later if you must.
John

This.

Finally got around to seeing it last night and wife wanted to turn it off part the way through.
I didn't mind it, but probably because I was busy dreaming about all the ways I could violate Gal Gadot (yes Im a pig, just ask my wife) rather than paying attention to any plot.

The director could easily have cut 30 minutes out of the movie and it would have made no difference. I get that they needed to tell her backstory, but all the romance shit was time wasted. And thats coming from my wife!

Im betting that the sequel will be either much better (i.e. more action, less romance) or far, far worse (total chick flick)
Either way I look forward to seeing Gal Gadot partly dressed in thigh high leather boots :-)
Last edited by: Andrew69: Jul 1, 17 15:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next