Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: lunch workout people: how do you cool down? [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All have good advice...I second the ice water chug right after the workout (or during the last few mins if you can) and lukewarm shower transitioning to cold. I like cold showers anyway. I don't necessarily lunch workout, but I have gone on runs or lifted, in a certain airport in the south. It gets hot in this gym. And muggy. Then I have to go back into the metal tube and serve drinks to needy, whiney people.

I once swam about 90 mins in a 50m outdoor pool about 5 miles from Tampa Airport...sweated like a pig after that one, I'm sure my passengers enjoyed that...no shower available, with 90f and sun! I had 4 hours to kill.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: lunch workout people: how do you cool down? [uw234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A cold shower doesn't really help. The only thing that works for me is to sit for a good 10-15 minutes before taking a shower so my body is cool before the shower. I used to run, then eat my lunch in my workout gear, then take a shower.
Quote Reply
Re: lunch workout people: how do you cool down? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
This is totally not helpful... but when I was at Zipp, we had an 800 square foot freezer to store carbon prepreg.. after lunch rides, I'd sit in there at 0F for 10 minutes and do email on my phone to cool down. I found that they key was to stay in there until my fingers struggled to function properly and when I came out I could shower and continue with the day as if I I hadn't exercised at all! I miss that freezer!

Or here in Ottawa Canada, that 0F freezer is outside the front door of our igloo offices 10 months per year. We just allow it to warm up here right in the window of IM 70.3 Tremblant to IM Tremblant (a 2 months gap), just to not totally scare away our American friends from from visiting us. You know I head to break the ice at lane swim at lunch today at an indoor pool!!!

All kidding aside I am not sure what one can do in a hot climate other than get as lean as possible. If you are leaner, you will cool off quickly.If you are a small athlete, even when working hard, your total heat generation is super low. If you are big and muscular and generate a lot of watts and a lot of heat, there not a ton you can do other than ramping down the workout early, cold shower and taking your time to change.
Quote Reply
Re: lunch workout people: how do you cool down? [mt2u77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mt2u77 wrote:
Waiting is best, but sometimes I'm in a hurry or there is competition for the limited showers, so I've learned a few tricks that have earned me a reputation as the guy who can hop right in the shower:
- take a huge drink of water before getting in the shower (double whammy-- good for hydration, and thermodynamics are in your favor)
- luke warm shower progressing to as cold as it goes, the longer the better but try for at least a couple minutes under the cold.
- Don't dry off too fast. I usually hand squeegee myself and then dry with a washcloth. (Since I bike to work and run at lunch, I like to keep my gear and laundry to a minimum, hence the washcloth.) This leaves me slightly damp, which helps the cooling without inducing more sweating. I leave my hair as wet as possible without dripping until the last minute.
- dress strategically. Shirt goes on last. I've never sweat through a pair of pants or shoes, so those go on first

Pretty much what I do...and where I work (tall buildings and all), there always is a breeze around.
After my run, I stand in the shade in a building corner or between buildings where there is a slight breeze. Just 5 min will do the trick to get your core temp down enough that even a 5 min cool shower (keeping the water stream on your neck) will work.
Quote Reply

Prev Next