Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Please do not come to our little country again. You are no longer our friend and are not welcome here any more.

Hey, I thought that travel bans were unconstitutional ;). Don't worry, lack of passport ownership correlates very strongly with voting for Trump.

and yet again, thank you Mississippi for keeping us from being last.

Sincerely, Your Redneck Brethren
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mr. mike wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Please do not come to our little country again. You are no longer our friend and are not welcome here any more.

Hey, I thought that travel bans were unconstitutional ;). Don't worry, lack of passport ownership correlates very strongly with voting for Trump.

and yet again, thank you Mississippi for keeping us from being last.

Sincerely, Your Redneck Brethren

Ah you must be from Louisiana
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not that bad off. (TN). We usually land somewhere around the mid-40s on the "stupid" rankings, so usually we are thankful for both MS and LA.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
The thing that really pisses me off about climate summits, accords, etc, is that the answer to making our planet cleaner is simple: use less, drive less, live in a smaller home, eat less meat, don't use plastic, have fewer, or no kids, etc. These are all things that can be done now, not starting in 2020, or whenever. US citizens have far more power then Donald Trump to make the changes necessary to make the planet cleaner.

And this is exactly what I'm doing (in addition to actually making a measurable reduction in other people's pollution for a living).

It drives me fucking nuts sometimes.

Here we have the owner of this site hurling insults at me from his air conditioned compound in the desert.

What to help the planet? Fucking do something about it. Clean up your own act.

Exactly, if 70 percent or whatever number it was agree we need to reduce emissions in the US, There is enough people, to easily make a business case for a lot of projects.

For me and I'm sure a lot of people te question is when do you jump in. We could do solar if we wanted to but it very well could be half the price for double the output in a couple years. So why commit now.

We also had a preorder in for a model 3 but it's going to be a bit too small right now for us so we cancelled it. If you look at the progression of the model S if you wait a few years on the 3 which is affordable it'll be significantly better also.

If you want to spend 10-100s of billion of dollars and get people to do more here you don't need the Paris agreement, just up the tax breaks/benefits to decrease the early adopter pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

The thing that really pisses me off about climate summits, accords, etc, is that the answer to making our planet cleaner is simple: use less, drive less, live in a smaller home, eat less meat, don't use plastic, have fewer, or no kids, etc. These are all things that can be done now, not starting in 2020, or whenever. US citizens have far more power then Donald Trump to make the changes necessary to make the planet cleaner.

Why does it piss you off?. The catalytic converter, seat belt usage, reducing cigarette smoking, low wattage light bulbs, EV cars, carpool lanes, recycling, etc. have all depended on government regulation to change behaviors, when economic incentives were insufficient. There isn't any evidence that these would have changed nearly as quickly or at all without intervention.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jun 2, 17 12:52
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Dammit I hate those maps! :)

Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's the dirty little secret to all of this that really has not been addressed. Politicians, and leading advocates dance all around the issue, but the reality is that economic progress and improvement in any way since the dawn of the industrial age, has also been linked directly with emitting and producing more carbon, because fossil fuel substrates are utilized for this for energy or product production.

So, yes, in the West and 1st world countries like the U.S., the one way to REALLY do battle with, carbon emissions and global warming is to do less, buy less, and in general make do with less, but that is NOT the way people want to live, and that's NOT the way the economy is structured it's all about doing more and buying more. That's why, while the Accords are important, they are doomed until this harsh, reality and dirty secret is brought forward.

Naomi Klein, who is about as left as they come, actually addresses this whole thorny issue in the book "This Changes Everything". She's VERY pragmatic about it all and finds strange bed-fellows on the right, who probably think of her as some sort of loon - but she's right. Until, the economic linkage between economic success - carbon emissions - fossil fuels is broken and a new paradigm established anything to do with combating global warming is really fiddling at the fringes!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 2, 17 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [UKathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuck the UK. Alba gu brath.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
You can relax a little. The US can't formally give notice to withdraw from the Paris accord until November 2019 and actual withdrawal won't be until November 2020. Plus, some states and many companies will continue their commitment to clean energy. And further, given the cheapness of natural gas, which is much cleaner than coal, the economics do not support a move back into coal. This is nothing more than Trump (finally) managing to keep one of his campaign pledges.

This.

And I'd say it's a non-issue, except that it's an example of the US under Trump withdrawing from or abdicating it's leadership role. Maybe that's what his base wants, but I still think it's shortsighted.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
You can relax a little. The US can't formally give notice to withdraw from the Paris accord until November 2019 and actual withdrawal won't be until November 2020. Plus, some states and many companies will continue their commitment to clean energy. And further, given the cheapness of natural gas, which is much cleaner than coal, the economics do not support a move back into coal. This is nothing more than Trump (finally) managing to keep one of his campaign pledges.

This.

And I'd say it's a non-issue, except that it's an example of the US under Trump withdrawing from or abdicating it's leadership role. Maybe that's what his base wants, but I still think it's shortsighted.
Serious question: What exactly are the advantages of the leadership role? This term gets bandied about here like it means something beyond a euphemism for the United States of America paying most of the bills.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

This.

Serious question: What exactly are the advantages of the leadership role? This term gets bandied about here like it means something beyond a euphemism for the United States of America paying most of the bills.

I'm not necessarily convinced there is a clear advantage.

But I suspect one is have a greater say in international matters. In most cases, a leader has a greater say in what course of action gets implemented than someone else.

This may be a stretch, but if we abdicate a leadership role in global warming (whatever that means), a role that is then assumed by China, it may our influence on other, albeit separate, issues. In other words, the respect we may have from the international community on one issue may impact the respect we get on other issues. If our word on one particular accord can be reversed just because of a change in leadership, then how solid is our word on other issues?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Canadian friends who can't spell Mississippi....................but, they somehow have jumped on the Trump haters bandwagon. It seems to be pretty popular, globally.

Thing is............most of us in the US don't keep up with your country's (insert about any country's name in here and it works) day to day musings. And, we're doing just fine, no matter what your media is telling you (hint.....they're probably regurgitating what our media's inventing and calling 'news').

So, I'll take the opinion of someone I don't know.....from a country that's mildly interesting to us......and weigh it, accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:
Really..?
Seriously..?
WTF..?

This maniac is a greater threat to the world than N.Korea, Russia, Iraq, Syria, Iran, Al Qaeda, ISIS, AIDS & Cancer, combined.

What have you done America.?

In fact...'Fu(K' every single one of you that voted for him, or didn't vote against him. Please do not come to our little country again. You are no longer our friend and are not welcome here any more.

UK Out.

(so, ban me. I'm done)

You speak for the entirety of the UK? Wow, that's a serious delusion you have going there.

Oh, and the word is "fuck." You can spell it out, no need to be a pussy about it.

Quote | Reply
Seems to be a lot of consternation from the Left over the stated intent to withdraw from an agreement that has no binding requirements or enforcement mechanism, and which withdrawal couldn't take effect until Nov 2020 anyway.

Of course, there was likewise a lot of consternation from the Right over an agreement that has no binding requirements or enforcement mechanism.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Seems to be a lot of consternation from the Left over the stated intent to withdraw from an agreement that has no binding requirements or enforcement mechanism, and which withdrawal couldn't take effect until Nov 2020 anyway.

Of course, there was likewise a lot of consternation from the Right over an agreement that has no binding requirements or enforcement mechanism.

Indeed.

Quote | Reply
UKathlete wrote:
Really..?
Seriously..?
WTF..?

This maniac is a greater threat to the world than N.Korea, Russia, Iraq, Syria, Iran, Al Qaeda, ISIS, AIDS & Cancer, combined.

What have you done America.?

In fact...'Fu(K' every single one of you that voted for him, or didn't vote against him. Please do not come to our little country again. You are no longer our friend and are not welcome here any more.

UK Out.

(so, ban me. I'm done)

Another satisfied customer!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
I have Canadian friends who can't spell Mississippi....................but, they somehow have jumped on the Trump haters bandwagon. It seems to be pretty popular, globally.

Thing is............most of us in the US don't keep up with your country's (insert about any country's name in here and it works) day to day musings. And, we're doing just fine, no matter what your media is telling you (hint.....they're probably regurgitating what our media's inventing and calling 'news').

So, I'll take the opinion of someone I don't know.....from a country that's mildly interesting to us......and weigh it, accordingly.

When I lived in the USA I had friends who could barely find Canada on a map, or at least knew very little about their northern neighbor. In all fairness, Canadians know a lot more about the USA than Americans tend to know about Canada or the rest of the world in general. Americans tend to look inward. That's why you have the lowest % of passport holders in the western world.

Trump is definitely not popular globally, whereas Obama was.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

When I lived in the USA I had friends who could barely find Canada on a map, or at least knew very little about their northern neighbor. In all fairness, Canadians know a lot more about the USA than Americans tend to know about Canada or the rest of the world in general. Americans tend to look inward. That's why you have the lowest % of passport holders in the western world.

Obama was an apologist. A critic of American greatness. Of course the rest of the world liked him.

David Bowie had a song called the man who sold the world.

Obama could sing the man who sold out his country.

Think of it this way. McCain is everyone's favorite republican unless they are a republican or he is running for president.

So yes it makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

i've got a buddy from India who was surprised at my knowledge of world current events and geography. he made the a similar statement about Americans being ignorant of a large part of the world. in the late 70s my aunt married a man from iran so i've been around that culture since grade school. and africa fascinates me, so as the internet developed it made it easy to learn more about it and the countries it contains.

i asked him if he learned about the US in India, he said yes. i told him i felt like a lot of the world learns about the US anywhere from someone specific to very specific and everything in between. in the US we cant learn about India and japan and the UK and russia and italy they way each of them learn about us. in the time it take to drive across texas or the length of california you can drive through 5 or 6 countries in europe. each with a different language, government and culture. how well versed are canadians, generally, on zimbabwe or myanmar.

i'm not making an excuses for ignorance, there is plenty of that world wide, but everyone has their own position in the worldly pecking order so we each have a different set of priorities.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Trump - WTF the F'ing Fu(K..? [Rod Thruster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rod Thruster wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

Obama was an apologist. A critic of American greatness. Of course the rest of the world liked him.

Think of it this way. McCain is everyone's favorite republican unless they are a republican or he is running for president.

So yes it makes sense.

Some things about America truly are great, but its not like the rest of the world is envious of your healthcare system, gun laws or obesity rates, not to mention the current president.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Rod Thruster wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

So yes it makes sense.

Some things about America truly are great, but its not like the rest of the world is envious of your healthcare system, gun laws or obesity rates, not to mention the current president.

False, False, True, but then again are poor people are fat instead of starving to death so we even do poverty well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Rod Thruster wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
nc452010 wrote:

So yes it makes sense.

The fallacy most outside the US live under........is that you think we care (what you think about us). I can't speak for everyone.....but, I sure don't. That's not meant to be taken maliciously. It's just a fact.
Quote Reply

Prev Next