Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
zedzded wrote:
Triathlon/cycling gear is a complete and utter rip off. I've been wavesailing (windsurfing) for years and the cost of windsurf gear is high, but pales into comparison with that of bike gear. A carbon mast would cost around $400, measuring 4.5m compared to a 40cm carbon seat post that can cost over $300 (Aus $). Crazy.

Yeah, you only need one seatpost. And one bike.
W/ modern windsurfing, you need 3 boards, 4 masts, 6 sails, and 2 booms, just to have fun.

It's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

Well not really, my sails cover a huge wind range and all fit on a 4m mast, similarly with my 2 wave boards, they'll cover a huge wind range and can be ridden in small - to large swell. So I have 3 sails, 1 mast and 2 boards and that covers wind and wave conditions from 18knots - 35+. Irresepctively I think you're missing my point. Why are windsurfing companies able to sell a 400cm carbon mast for $300 and bike companies are selling a seatpost for the same price that is 1/10th the size? Carbon wheels for $3k that have about $25 worth of carbon in them.. $10K carbon frames with about $300 worth of carbon...
Last edited by: zedzded: Jun 26, 17 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had great experiences with a vendor on Aliexpress for some carbon clinchers with powerway r36 hubs, 1580g (no skewers). At the time,I paid around $500cdn (~$400us) including shipping. From ordering to receiving took just over a week. I've got around 2500km on the wheels and couldn't be happier with them. I opted to order more sets for my gravel/cross bike with disc brakes and my wife's bike. I've done a couple of gravel races with the wheelset and they've been great.

I don't like it when people make broad sweeping comments about the quality of carbon from China. It's as if people think that there is only one manufacturer of carbon parts. Yes, it's important to identify better quality producers of carbon. But to make sweeping statements that it's all good / bad is crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [Celerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had two different pairs. 60mm and 88 mm
Also I have had a lot of clients get pairs from overseas from Amazon as well.

No issues at all for me of them.

I just got a new pair of 88 mm carbon clinchers for $550 CAD ( came with break pads, titanium skewers, extensions, etc) and took it down the toughest mt around on the worse road and had no issues breaking or over the bumps at high speeds.

It is of similar quality to what all the wheels are.

As for issues wheel issues.

Had a client last week have a serious issue with a Easton rim. I have had problem on my first road bike wheel.

A wheel here or there can have an issue no matter the brand. Sometime you just hit the wrong spot on the road on something bends you spoke.

Side note I did one race 2015 with a zipp wheels the next year Chinese wheel at the exact same power = the exact same speed... So I guess they perform the same.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Celerius wrote:
I'm looking over some Chinese wheelsets on Amazon. They look great and are really inexpensive. How bad can they be? The prices Trek, Zipp, Enve, and others want are insane. I'm willing to pay for quality. But then again, I don't like getting hosed.

Not sure which wheels on Amazon you are referring to - is this the set?. Regardless IMHO, I would rather purchase a set of HED JET+ 6 from the perpetual sale that Competitive Cyclist runs at 42% off or $1099. This is for a variety of reasons:

1) Aluminum brake track offering far superior braking. I wouldn't trust just any old company with carbon braking. Too many warped brakes tracks I have seen which either did or could have resulted in tire blows off at high speeds.
2) Get immediately, no waiting for the next group buy
3) Great CS from CC (owned by BackCountry)
3) Wide internal rim - 21mm
4) Proven reliable and aero from HED
5) Still lightweight. probably 50-100 grams lighter than FLO.
6) Easy to get a wheel cover to match the rim and turn into a disc.

+10. The thread should end here.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Carbon Wheels [Yobroski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yobroski wrote:
Bernoullitrial wrote:
Come on Pubes...you know between the garbage that there are also some outstanding chink wheels are slutbay...

glad to see casual racism is alive and well here still.

Ha was thinking the same thing

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply

Prev Next