Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get?
Quote | Reply
I have a race this weekend and wife and I are staying at a nearby hotel that happens to have an indoor heated pool. I figure this would be a great opportunity to take my son for his first pool "dip". So for all the dads out there what should I make sure he have? I am browsing Amazon as we speak so any input would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A swim diaper - and another smaller one for your 8 month old if you want to teach him to pee in the pool.

Other than that, I can't imagine why you would need anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A swim diaper or 4, and if you really want to buy something a swim suit to cover it up. You likely will be holding him most of the time, especially in a hotel pool. The only other thing that I can think of is maybe some type of floaty baby seat so you don't have to hold him but we never bothered with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim diaper mandatory

A suit semi-mandatory

Some sort of inflatable seat - optional but worth it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to put the lads in the baby bjorn, otherwise you're holding him the whole time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take this shit to the tri forum..

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Something along the lines of this is great if you don't want to have him hold him the entire time. Any toy that floats that he can throw like a ball or rubber ducky.

https://www.amazon.com/...p;pf_rd_i=1272923011

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Something along the lines of this is great if you don't want to have him hold him the entire time. Any toy that floats that he can throw like a ball or rubber ducky.

I saw the same exact thing, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pull buoy, kick board, maybe some ankle bands. Don't go for the carbon goggles, not worth it IMHO.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swedes are fine.

you forgot paddles.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
swedes are fine.

you forgot paddles.

Dude, the kid is 8 months old, paddles might be a bit of a stretch, no?

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
swedes are fine.

you forgot paddles.

Dude, the kid is 8 months old, paddles might be a bit of a stretch, no?

small paddles.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diaper

We had freds swim trainer. It was good in the sense it kept them both on their front.

Once ours was walking she went with floaties. Then in to lessons at 3 where she had a noodle and a float

As an aside. I think if you have the opportunity to swim more often with your kids its worthwhile

Both of ours went from first vaccinations at least once a week and it was probably the best thing we did with them they enjoy it so much
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Swim nappy
2. A Garmin 920XT to help measure stroke count and laps. Never too early to start the kid's training regimen.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bring a double dose of e coli.

Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Once ours was walking she went with floaties. Then in to lessons at 3 where she had a noodle and a float

As an aside. I think if you have the opportunity to swim more often with your kids its worthwhile

Both of ours went from first vaccinations at least once a week and it was probably the best thing we did with them they enjoy it so much

Same here. We did was swim lessons for our son starting around 6 months. Took them year round until he signed up for swim team at age 7. I don't worry nearly as much with him at the pool.

Daughter who is 5 has only had a few lessons. She is super shy and just wouldn't do them when we took her. She finally got over the hump this year and goes in with the instructor. I have to be super vigilant with her because she wants to follow her brother around and just can't swim well enough to be in the deep end. She's doing pre team this year so should get stronger soon.

I swam from age 4 or 5 through college. Hated it. Swore I'd never make my kids swim. Son took to it naturally but my biggest thing now is they both have to swim until HS for safety sake. We spend a lot of time around the water (pools and ocean) so I don't ever want to worry they can't swim. We were just talking about this subject at the pool this weekend.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our (or mine) view is that its just about comfort and safety

Both of mine have been comfortable with going under the water from birth and whilst at 3 my daughter cant swim. She is swinging her arms and trying to kick and she goes to lessons and she will be fine. She is getting there but the comfort and safety thing is huge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim diaper and no expectations of how it will go. Oh, and a camera, of course.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL you folks are hilarious, I'll bring the pull buoy and paddle board, I'll keep an eye on his SWOLF but being his first time I'll cut him some slack. I'm expecting 1:30/100's by age 6 is that being too aggressive?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

Get one of these for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a good tip. Would have been better if he was less than 6 months old, but not too late. Assuming the water is warm enough that he's comfortable, give him some underwater experience. The longer you leave this, the more likely he will be fearful of going underwater in the futute.

How to do it? Hold him by his side's and have him face to the side of you and towards your wife, so he can see you both. Bounce him gently and slowly, saying "One, two, three" as you do each bounce. On "three" take him underwater in a calm way and pass him underwater to your wife, making sure not to jerk him up, but calmly lift him up. He can be underwater for a couple of seconds.

Smile and show him it's fun. You can begin by counting to three as you bob in the water and go under on "three", coming up smiling.

He may look shocked after the first one, but after he calms down try it again and convince him it's fun!

Just make all your movements calm and slow and not jerky. Repeat each time you're in the pool a few times.

Best to do this under 6 months when they still have some 'memory of being in the womb, but at 8 months he should still be comfortable enough.
Quote Reply
Re: First time ever taking my 8 mo son for a dip in the pool, accessory wise what do I need to get? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good idea! however, I am not sure how clean or how often the water is changed at this hotel for me to be confident of submerging him, my issue would be the chlorine content, is that something you would take into consideration?

Kay Serrar wrote:
Here's a good tip. Would have been better if he was less than 6 months old, but not too late. Assuming the water is warm enough that he's comfortable, give him some underwater experience. The longer you leave this, the more likely he will be fearful of going underwater in the futute.

How to do it? Hold him by his side's and have him face to the side of you and towards your wife, so he can see you both. Bounce him gently and slowly, saying "One, two, three" as you do each bounce. On "three" take him underwater in a calm way and pass him underwater to your wife, making sure not to jerk him up, but calmly lift him up. He can be underwater for a couple of seconds.

Smile and show him it's fun. You can begin by counting to three as you bob in the water and go under on "three", coming up smiling.

He may look shocked after the first one, but after he calms down try it again and convince him it's fun!

Just make all your movements calm and slow and not jerky. Repeat each time you're in the pool a few times.

Best to do this under 6 months when they still have some 'memory of being in the womb, but at 8 months he should still be comfortable enough.
Quote Reply