Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you like for fancy ice cream toppings? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I defend my dissertation on Thursday and am planning an ice cream party afterward. Here's my list of flavours and toppings. What else do you like? Think fancy :-)

Ice cream: good quality vanilla, strawberry, chocolate
Standard toppings: chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, whipped cream
Fancy toppings: balsamic vinegar, lemon curd, fresh berries
brownies - not a topping but a base!

Apparently olive oil is good on ice cream (says the interwebs). Just on vanilla?

I forgo toppings and have yellow cake added to mine. I like Rum Raisin, and French V. the best( none of the Chocolate, Cookie Dough, Praline garbage, etc...).
Quote Reply
Re: What do you like for fancy ice cream toppings? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cap'n' Crunch

I never thought of that but it sounds good.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you like for fancy ice cream toppings? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@wimsey THE BEST of THE 'BARB is...
Rhubarb Crumble

2 lbs fresh rhubarb (8 cups cut up)
Finely grated rind of one large orange
1/3 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons dark rum
2/3 cup granulated sugar

1 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces

Adjust a rack one-third up from the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You will need a shallow ovenproof baking dish with a 8- to 9-cup capacity (about 11 by 8 by 2 inches); butter it lightly.
Wash the rhubarb with a vegetable brush under cold running water. Cut off any leaves and a thin slice from the top and bottom of each stalk. On a biard eith a heavy knife cut the rhubarb into 1-inch pieces and place in the baking dish.
Combine the rind, juice, snd rum and pour it evenly over the rhubarb. Sprinkle the granulated sugar evenly over the top.
Place the flour, cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter in a wide mixing bowl. With your hands work the ingredients together, rubbing them between your fingertips and then between your palms, to form crumbs. Sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the rhubarb, covering it all.
Bake immediately or set aside to bake later.
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes only until the rhubarb in the middle of the baking dish just tests tender when tested with a toothpick and the juices are bubbly, thick, and shiny and the crumb topping is nicely browned.
Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature, but preferably don't let it wait more than a few hours after baking; the crumb top starts to soften. Serve plain (stands alone exquisitely) or with ice cream.

This Pennsylvania Dutch recipe was taken from, "Maida Heatter's Book of Great American Desserts."

It's top-shelf taste!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you like for fancy ice cream toppings? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ice cream toppings are BS.
Quote Reply

Prev Next