Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels?
Quote | Reply
I installed latex tubes and new Conti. 4000s in July last year. I raced a half and IM on them. Should I replace now or can I get another half and IM this season?
Last edited by: TRIDAVID2: May 30, 17 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been running the same latex tube for the past two years in my front tire, around 7,000 miles. Not changing until it flats.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't run sealant in them, replace them when you need to (i.e. a flat). I've had about 4 Vittoria Latex failure in the past 6-8 weeks, all in the same area (all on different wheels and not all purchased at the same time) near the valve stem, so I'm keen on replacing them a bit more often.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot to mention these are race wheels. I don't want to flat.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Consult the google for a better answer, but I will tell you this will be at least my 5th season on the same latex tubes installed in my race wheels. Maybe I've just been lucky and they are on the verge of disintegration but probably not.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [TRIDAVID2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I replace my latex tubes (Vredesteins) and Conti gp4000s ii tires every season on my race wheels. Probably overkill since I focus on OLY distance and put less than 300 miles on them, but guess superstitious....haven't flatted during a race in past 6 years. Don't understand those who say they wait until they get a flat when it's the thing to avoid getting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also had 2 Vittorias fail where the valve attaches to the tube. Interestingly both on my disc and both after about 1 year. I think it is when I remove the crackpipe I have to pull a bit harder causing it to tear slightly. Because of this I just replace them every year to be safe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've typically gotten multiple years out of my race wheel latex tubes, but I don't really race a ton, and mostly shorter stuff these days when I actually do race anymore.

IF I were racing an IM, I'd probably go w a new tube for that, just for peace of mind.
Make sure you make that change at least a week or more in advance, so you can get at least 2 or more shakedown rides in, to be sure you seated everything correctly, etc.

I'm a big fan of popping the new tube into a gallon ziplock bag w a poof of baby powder, and doing the Shake n Bake routine on it prior to install. I find it goes in easier, and less chance of it getting pinched under the bead that way.
YMMV.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a baby powder "shake down" and then install? I'm planning on switching to Latex, and I'm not overly concerned about a pinch..i'll still do whatever I can to prevent it if I can.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Just a baby powder "shake down" and then install? I'm planning on switching to Latex, and I'm not overly concerned about a pinch..i'll still do whatever I can to prevent it if I can.

If you inflate the tube before installing it so it is filled to a nice cylinder shape but not expanded it will quite naturally slide into the proper position in the tire. If it's installed limp then there's more potential to have some material under the bead. This is proper technique for butyl tubes as well but not everyone follows it. It's way more important to do so with latex tubes.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Culley22 wrote:

If you inflate the tube before installing it so it is filled to a nice cylinder shape but not expanded it will quite naturally slide into the proper position in the tire. If it's installed limp then there's more potential to have some material under the bead. This is proper technique for butyl tubes as well but not everyone follows it. It's way more important to do so with latex tubes.

Hugh

Awesome, that's how I already do it. THANKS!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIDAVID2 wrote:
I installed latex tubes and new Conti. 4000s in July last year. I raced a half and IM on them. Should I replace now or can I get another half and IM this season?

I generally like to replace about once a year. Racing tubes continue as training tubes. In addition, I like to put the tubes a couple of rides out. Issues happen early and late in the lifecycle of anything.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's my take on latex tubes-------- they work great most of the time. they don't fat any more often than other types of tubes. they must be faster. they cost more - therefore they must be better. they make for great conversation about using them (hence this recurring ST post). if you are lucky you will not have any problems. maybe you can use the same tube for many years with no problems. you got to be extra careful not to get a pinch when installing. they go flat in about 2 weeks (between races) . If you do get a flat , pisssssssssssssph, they go completely flat very quick, especially with carbon race rims - heads up while going fast downhill. Where I live and mostly race, California and the "west", I get a flat (sharp things in the tire/tube) about once or twice a month - I would think my odds of a flat are about the same (from a sharp thing) no matter what type of tube. To the side - my son, who lives and rides in Japan (clean, perfect roads, at least near Tokyo) has only had a flat ONE time in about 15 years road riding - maybe a perfect place to use latex tubes.
When I was using latex tubes for racing, I was always a semi nervous wreak, the day before, the night of, race morning, and during the race - because of those darn latex tubes. No doubt, I must have gone a "good 5 seconds" faster in an half Ironman distance. Since cleansing myself (gave them and my extras tubes away to my tri club friends) of latex tubes, I am no longer a nervous wreak and am at peace with myself. Because of this newfound serenity, I race at least 6 seconds faster in a half Ironman distance and sleep better.
What do you latex tube user have to say about that? Latex tubes are a bunch of hype being promoted by .. .
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [coyote pelon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coyote pelon wrote:
If you do get a flat , pisssssssssssssph, they go completely flat very quick, .

Not my experience at all. On a recent 60+ mile ride I heard a short psss and thought of s#it a flat at about the 20 mile mark. But the tire stayed up and I completed the next 40+ miles of the ride with what seemed to be a normally inflated tire. The next morning the tire was uber soft so I pulled the tube and found one of those nasty steel belted radial wires had penetrated the tire and tube but the latex tube had sealed itself around the wire and stemmed the leak....without any sealant. I've also pronged some of those oh so perfect to cause a snake bite causing pebbles with latex equipped wheels that would never have survived with a butyl tube. I love latex tubes and worry more when running butyl tubes.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TRIDAVID2 wrote:

Mine usually last until I get a puncture and can't find the hole (years).

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, a latex tube can self-seal a really tiny hole at low pressure. It leaks pumped up, but at low pressure it foils the "submerge in water test".
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Culley22 wrote:
Just a baby powder "shake down" and then install?

Use talc. And coat the inside of the tire as well.

Anybody who thinks latex tubes are scary to use, or that they are flat prone, has a very different experience than mine.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Culley22 wrote:
Just a baby powder "shake down" and then install?

Use talc. And coat the inside of the tire as well.

Anybody who thinks latex tubes are scary to use, or that they are flat prone, has a very different experience than mine.
I've only been using them occasionally and for a little over a year but I'm at a loss to understand most of the anxiety and nonsense I hear about latex tubes. They're no harder to install than butyl tubes, they seem more comfortable and I have no difficulty believing they are faster, they should be given the mechanical properties of latex. I've had no punctures to date. The only significant difference in day to day use is the increased need to pump your tyres before every ride. But I typically do that anyway when I'm using butyl.

Having said that, I avoided latex and reverted to butyl tubes for La Marmotte a couple of weeks ago. I did that because latex is less heat resistant and I wasn't sure how much I'd be braking on the long, somewhat technical Alpine decent off Col du Gandon and less technical but even longer Col du Galibier. I use alloy rims and after a little research it seems heat conducted from the brake track to the inner tube can be a problem on long descents. I did end up doing quite a lot more braking than I would like especially Gandon due to the volume of riders on the road some of whom were clearly not experienced descenders! I was glad not to have additional concerns about heat/tube issues. Having said that I intend to continue using latex for most of my cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here, in the middle of the tube, inside, right past where the overlap is for the the tube.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would inspect the tire- any cuts etc- then replace. Depending on the age of the latex tube you may need to replace that with the tire.

As far as races- if its an 'A' race and especially IM, I would race on new tires and tubes (especially for rear wheel), 'broken in' over up to 200km. After all the expenses related to registration, lodging, and travel for an IM why draw the line at 100-150$ that could ruin your race if you flat?

Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
I would inspect the tire- any cuts etc- then replace. Depending on the age of the latex tube you may need to replace that with the tire.

As far as races- if its an 'A' race and especially IM, I would race on new tires and tubes (especially for rear wheel), 'broken in' over up to 200km. After all the expenses related to registration, lodging, and travel for an IM why draw the line at 100-150$ that could ruin your race if you flat?
Is a new tube and tyre broken in up to 200km statistically less likely to flat than the existing tyre and tube? If I thought the probability of a flat was significantly increased due to tyre or tube age/mileage then I'd consider swapping out a couple of weeks in advance of a big race. But I'm not sure that there is any real reason to do it. I haven't been riding my tri bike much since last season except on the trainer. I've been doing almost all my outdoor rides on the road bike because of other cycling events I was preparing for. Now I'm switching to the tri-bike in preparation for a 70.3 in just over 4 weeks. It's been used on the trainer with an old tyre on a trainer wheel. The road wheels have been idle since last summer with the exception of a shakedown ride and one Olympic race 6 weeks ago and a couple of short rides last week.
I'll be riding it considerably more for the next 4 weeks and then the race. I'll use the same wheels for training and racing.
Currently they're equipped with a set of 25mm GP4000s and vittoria latex tubes. The tubes are on the wheels about 18 months. The tyres are about 30 months old with maybe 2500km on them and not looking very worn. No sealant in the tubes.

As far as I'm aware, latex degrades with exposure to UV light or heat but time alone does not pose a risk. They're not getting any UV exposure and no extreme temperatures while installed in those wheels. Thus I wasn't planning to replace the tubes. I wasn't planning to change the tyres either although I have a lightly used 23mm GP4000sII I'd considered swapping in for the modest aerodynamic advantage....but I doubt it's worth it.

IMO, changing the tubes and tyres is not really a risk mitigation. What am I missing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not scientific... but here is what I do. Replace my tires on my race wheels once a year, usually a few weeks before August/September time frame when my A races tend to be. I change tubes at the same time.

Tires and tubes go into a spare/training tire queue.
Quote Reply
Re: When to replace latex tubes and tires on race wheels? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAI at about 200k the tire rolls the fastest it will ever roll.

Sometimes the latex tube sticks to the inside of an older tire. I had been advised to not re-use latex tubes for that reason, although admittedly I have done so for training wheels without any problems so far.

If you don't use your wheels other than for races and the tires are in good shape then leave them on

I put new tires and tubes on for an A race then train on them afterwards. I don't want to take the chance on them after they have been on the roads for awhile so changing them before the next A race gives me some piece of mind . Not scientific at all. Just what I do. YMMV.

Quote Reply