Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
windschatten wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
The number of times I've yelled "on your left" and the person immediately swerved left, more when training than anything else, makes it iffy whether or not I actually will say anything. Gets a little scary sometimes.

It is well established that 'on your left' is confusing at best.

"Passing!"
is much better, as it is more likely to reach the functional brains of those that just 'forgot' that they should keep right.

This.

^^^Very much this.^^^ Saying "passing on your left" is effective, especially in large races or charity rides where many riders don't understand proper bike handling.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and f* you [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bryce_d wrote:
But to the competitor who had an iPhone in your waistband and ear buds snaking up your jersey into your ears, a big FUCK YOU buddy. You swerved to the left and almost took out a couple people, and when I was coming up behind you I shouted "ON YOUR LEFT" and you didn't do a damn thing. You seemed obvlious. You are a danger to others.

How are headphones not illegal during the race and an immediate DQ? Talk about playing with fire regarding your race insurance. I'd have someone either at the end of T1 or start of T2 to yank people with headphones.

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Don't know the level of typical racer at your race, but this is the area I think most race directors fail. They all warn the fast guys not to be "that guy" and take turns too fast or go flying into transition, but they spend very little time telling the newbies to ride right and get out of the way.

Most tri's I do are multiple laps on the same course so they get pretty congested. By the second lap, the slower racers are riding 3-4 wide and having conversations. They have almost zero awareness that people are going 23/25 mph flying up behind them. Worse, when you scream on your left, they have no idea what that means.

Although I have been racing just 5 years, I have never heard an RD tell racers what it means when you hear "on your left" and I've never seen it in an athlete guide. You might think it's self explanatory, but it's not. The average triathlete is oblivious. For the record, I don't blame them. No one is educating them.

It's just as bad with the self seeded swims. People from the same tri club enter the water with their one friend who will swim 1:05's. They have no idea how dangerous that is for them and the faster swimmers.

It's not just triathletes. I do a local 10-miler with corral-seeded times and people routinely start the race with their friends. I once heard a guy in the 6:30 corral telling his buddy he should be in the 9 minute corral but it doesn't matter because once the racer starts everyone just runs their own pace. Clueless.

Again, no one is educating these people.

i'm going to politely disagree here. i'll definitely grant that there is a lot of ignorance out there, but reasonable attempts to educate are such that race guides and/or RDs typically will describe the most fundamental rules in the bike leg of triathlon: drafting and blocking. so, the ignorance of the competitors is generally not for attempts to educate.

now, i will be critical of the OP for admittedly passing on the right. he seemingly knew better, but did it anyway. and then has the audacity to blast others who were guilty of cycling faux pas. pot calling the kettle black. bad form.
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
windschatten wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:
The number of times I've yelled "on your left" and the person immediately swerved left, more when training than anything else, makes it iffy whether or not I actually will say anything. Gets a little scary sometimes.

"Passing!"
is much better, as it is more likely to reach the functional brains of those that just 'forgot' that they should keep right.

This.

how about "passing on your left" or "coming thru on your left". pretty unambiguous, and how i do it.
Last edited by: adablduya1: May 30, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and f* you [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I've learned that people get mad when you yell on your left and people get mad when you don't say it. So damned if you do and damned if you don't. I give up.

^This! I long ago gave up yelling to avoid those who would swerve into you; and no longer car about those who get mad when you don't say it.
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
windschatten wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

"Passing!"

This.

^^^Very much this.^^^ Saying "passing on your left" is effective, especially in large races or charity rides where many riders don't understand proper bike handling.

Good advice...Think I'm gonna switch to saying "passing" instead of "on you left"
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just remembered...

During Augusta last year, a rider was riding to the left... lots of other riders around as well, it is Augusta after all... as I come up on him I say on your left. He glances back and does nothing. I say on your left, again he does nothing. I had just passed another rider and I pass him on the right, he was inches away from the double yellow line. I say, in a normal tone, not pissed off (which is unusual), "Dude you're supposed to ride on the right." His response, "Fuck you".

Yup.
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and f* you [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
TriathlonJoe wrote:
I've learned that people get mad when you yell on your left and people get mad when you don't say it. So damned if you do and damned if you don't. I give up.

^This! I long ago gave up yelling to avoid those who would swerve into you; and no longer car about those who get mad when you don't say it.

My experience as well.
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [dyarab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed 100% with saying "Passing on your left". the other big thing, is to do it before you're right on their wheel, that way, if they do jerk left (which often happens) they won't take you out, and then have time to correct and move right... I typically try to call out before I enter the draft zone.

It's a good point that many RDs don't do enough education on this front. At the events where I'm chief official this year, I'll make sure the announcers add it to their briefings...

The headphone thing is my big pet peeve... when officiating, I constantly have to remind my officials on the bike course to auto DQ anyone with headphones in... When you catch them in the t-zone, it's trickier, because you didn't catch them during the bike leg, and so often the RDs will beg you not to DQ and just give formal warnings (while technically if they still have their bike in their hand, the bike rules apply (like helmet remaining buckle), the ITU rule says to warn, and have them amend in you catch them in transition, and only to DQ if they refuse...). I caught a bunch last summer, but they all got off with formal warnings, because I caught them in transition, and they immediately removed them.

That said, there's also a promoter of unsanctioned races, that while they consistently announce no headphones on the bike, they actively encourage and announce for people to use them on the run, but then are surprised when half of the field has them in when on the bike...
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry I'm gonna re-start this thread (rather then my own)

did I sprint tri this morning..come to T1 with a hybrid/mtb type bike parked in front of my bike. Basically nearly on top on my towel with all my gear on it.

after the race.. ready to go home her bike is leaning up against mine now (mine is racked) she happens to be there and I tell her would you mind holding your bike up since once I remove mine yours will succumb to gravity.

I mean really who the F* leans a POS hybrid on a $10K dollar bicycle ? ppl suck
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jul 15, 17 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
after the race.. ready to go home her bike is leaning up against mine now (mine is racked) she happens to be there and I tell her would you mind holding your bike up since once I remove mine yours will succumb to gravity.

I mean really who the F* leans a POS hybrid on a $10K dollar bicycle ? ppl suck

This is a troll right? Right?
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kmill23 wrote:
This is a troll right? Right?

Or a backdoor brag.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The offender probably had no idea that yours was a 10k bike. She may be new to the sport and didn't know proper etiquette. But it looks like you set her straight. You know, being the friendly welcoming type.
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and a fuck you [Pat0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tough crowd... I guess I respect other people property. You all sound like the kind that leave door dings in parking lots too.
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and f* you [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:

I'm a poor swimmer so I've never tried retaliating in the water--nothing good would come of that. On the bike, the worst thing I did was pass a rider who was blocking leaving only a half bike width on the left. Yelled passing twice and no response so braced for the bump and passed. He lost control and crashed--didn't feel good about that though the moment before I was sure he deserved it. I think you had a bike rage moment and I totally empathize--I used to have them all the time. Now, I just take a deep breath and look for the easiest solution to the problem which is my continued progress without getting angry, retaliating or worrying about educating the ignorant competitor.

Wow. Just wow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
tough crowd... I guess I respect other people property. You all sound like the kind that leave door dings in parking lots too.

It must be tough to be not just in near proximity but actually be _in_ an area where the great unwashed ride bikes that cost less than what you spend on butler service. You will be fine. Embarrassed to be mingling with the lower classes for sure but still fine.

You do sound like the type of douchebag who takes up two spots by parking diagonally in a crowded parking lot then snowflakes out after discovering a good Samaritan delivered a little street justice by keying your car.

The rule of buying race bikes is don't buy what you cannot afford to have banged up. It's a tool not a piece of art. If you are worried about a few scratches then you cannot really afford the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would think that after seeing the other 800 bikes racked by the saddle, common sense would have kicked in... Smh.

As far as the comment about "If you are worried about a few scratches then you cannot really afford the bike. "

... I don't mind scratches or dings, but would have a problem if someone's carelessness or recklessness caused damage
Last edited by: hamachijohn: Jul 15, 17 22:52
Quote Reply
Re: two apologies and f* you [Stva] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stva wrote:
roubaixman wrote:

I'm a poor swimmer so I've never tried retaliating in the water--nothing good would come of that. On the bike, the worst thing I did was pass a rider who was blocking leaving only a half bike width on the left. Yelled passing twice and no response so braced for the bump and passed. He lost control and crashed--didn't feel good about that though the moment before I was sure he deserved it. I think you had a bike rage moment and I totally empathize--I used to have them all the time. Now, I just take a deep breath and look for the easiest solution to the problem which is my continued progress without getting angry, retaliating or worrying about educating the ignorant competitor.

Wow. Just wow.

Dangerous shit, but I feel with roubaixman.....

People ride like they bought a 'carte blanche' with their entry fee.

Sometimes it is downright ugly out there with people not being able to control their inflated Ego ("I am the fastest" "I have the built-in right of way").

"Fuck you" is actually pretty tame. I got spit at and had to dodge punches and kicks by people who were entitled to the whole road in a race.

And sadly, no, I am not making this up.
Quote Reply

Prev Next