Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Bars Added - Need some basic fit advice
Quote | Reply
Hi all. I decided to give clip-ons a try for my road bike. This is my first venture into using aero bars and I was hoping some of you could just give me some pointers on any basic adjustments I could do that would be great. Please bear in mind I am a total novice when it comes to stuff like this. I realize the best thing would be to get a real fit, but just can't swing the cost right now...kids are expensive lol. Excuse the not so great picture, if it is easier for me to take a new one let me know and I will repost.

As a heads up, I can lower my stem as I have a few spacers still underneath.

Oh and no ragging on my sweet yoga mat hahaha

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars Added - Need some basic fit advice [cdoug55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would lose the spacers and slam your seat forward as a start. You may want to throw on a longer stem too.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars Added - Need some basic fit advice [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have said that my intent was to lose the spacers. I am assuming I should move the saddle forward a little at a time. Not sure if this matters but the saddle is an ISM Prologue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the ism you can slam all the way and ride in the very front of the saddle. You probably could flip your stem too. This will get you a bit more drop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You already have the clipons, but may want to look into the Redshift seatpost that moves your seat forward and up on road bike when shifting to aero position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello from Dubai...

So first comments first: I think that there is substantial error in this guesstimate because of the clothes you're wearing. Key bio-mechanical markers are hidden by your loose fitting clothes. Get lycra.

With that said, here's my take (its probably ok):
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars Added - Need some basic fit advice [olmec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Olmec. I hadn't intended to take any pics when I was dressed like that, but I was messing around putting my bike back on the trainer and just snapped a couple. I will re-take and re-post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New picture. Moved my saddle up and dropped the stem (left one riser). Thoughts?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front end still looks high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cdoug55 wrote:
New picture. Moved my saddle up and dropped the stem (left one riser). Thoughts?
Slide your elbows forward - the armpads are your contact point, not the extensions. If that means your hands are longer than the extensions, change the extensions to something a bit longer.

You can also bring the cockpit down a bit more, but too much will close your hips more than you're likely to prefer.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Bars Added - Need some basic fit advice [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try some more adjustments and see how it feels. Didn't want to make too many drastic changes all at once without getting out for a ride to see how it feels.
Quote Reply