Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

calling on ST road bike gurus
Quote | Reply
so i am signed up for a few centuries this year and have been looking for a road bike. last year i rode b2vt on my tri bike and full disc. i got a lot of nasty looks (from roadies), as i was passing them uphill lol.

i'm ready for a road bike and thought i was SOL until i got on my friends 52cm wsd madone 4.5. i (ignorantly) didn't realize that a 52cm womans specific frame would be smaller than a mens 52cm. my last road frame was a 48cm cannondale systemsix (which was slightly large for me).

so i got home and started looking at 2 brands. i don't have a price limit, but i tri bike and touring bike. i don't want to break the bank as i also want a fat bike and a single speed in the near future.

https://www.diamondback.com/airen-5-carbon#
db bike

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/gamme/2015/road/endurance/pulsium-500
lapierre

http://wheelsinmotion.us/images/library/features/trek_madone_wsd4_women_geo_13_f.jpg
trek madone 4.5wsd

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7284/8736770237_c53e483997.jpg
cannondale systemsix 48cm

i'm not a wiz when it comes to figuring out geometry. but it appears that i'll fit on the 50 or 52cm diamondback or the 49cm lapierre.

diamondback pros:
i really like the matte baby blue and how it doesn't have the brand name on the frame.
disc brakes are a plus in new england weather
i believe i can slap some 30-34mm tires on there and ride this on hard packed trails or some cross racing?

diamondback cons:
it won't take my carbon easton rims (40mm)
cost 100 more than lapierre
it seems like the wheelbase and top tube length (at least on 52cm is longer than the cannondale)
thru axels

thought: i think i will prob fit better on the 50cm diamondback?

lapierre pros:
rim brakes, thus i can use my carbon wheelset on this (not sure how important this is, since i don't road race)
lighter than diamondback
100 bucks cheaper than diamondback

lapierre cons:
ugly color scheme. if purchased, i would sand the frame down and repaint it

another small caveat. i may purchase a premier tactical in 2018 (when they come out with the 650). thus rendering my current tri bike useless and be on training/trainer duty. i won't have a need for the carbon rims and i can't expect the resale to be to good on a wheelset that has 2k miles and is 4 years old, thus making it slightly more appealing to have the lapierre.

honestly, the most important thing is FIT. it's near impossible to find any of these bikes at local stores to try. so the only thing i can go off is that the 48cm cannondale was slightly big on me (i didn't like the shoe/wheel overlap) and that the trek madone 4.5 wsd appeared to be a decent fit (ridden with speedplay cleats on shimano pedals though).

thus, i'm seeking the help of ST.

thanks in advance.

p.s.- as i finish writing this, it seems as if it makes more sense that i purchase the diamondback (if so, which size. 50 or 52)

Quote Reply
Re: calling on ST road bike gurus [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really covet a Madone, so if it fits and you can afford it, go Trek. Aero and comfy'ish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If fit is your first priority (a pretty good imperative) are you satisfied with your fit? On a road bike? If so I'll ask you for some measures and we'll figure this out. If not we'll take another route.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: calling on ST road bike gurus [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
If fit is your first priority (a pretty good imperative) are you satisfied with your fit? On a road bike? If so I'll ask you for some measures and we'll figure this out. If not we'll take another route.

i've never been fit on a road bike. just tri bike. but i have a feeling that was the point you were getting at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's okay. We have 2 options: you get fit on a road bike (where are you?); or we make a bunch of guesses. If we do the latter, I think we should start with your saddle height (on your tri bike) and your overall height. And whatever other very personal things you want to share all over the Internet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
That's okay. We have 2 options: you get fit on a road bike (where are you?); or we make a bunch of guesses. If we do the latter, I think we should start with your saddle height (on your tri bike) and your overall height. And whatever other very personal things you want to share all over the Internet.

i have my fit measurements on a pdf. lets see if this upload works.

saddle height over crank center was 64.6cm

i'm 5'3". more torso than legs. inseam is like 26.5 or 27. (can't find tape measure.

i'm located in boston (3 miles out). call me naive, but i'm not 100% sure i'm willing to spend the 3-400 dollars required for a proper road bike fit. i was ok for it for my tri bike since i'm on it a lot and being faster for an ironman bike leg is important. but the road bike is to ride centuries and group rides that involve more climbing, i don't need to be the fastest guy a group ride. i feel like, with some guidance from the ST experts, i can probably get pretty darn comfortable with a stem change. willing to be corrected though.

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thoughts, slowman?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're having problems finding small enough bikes, it may be worth looking at Canyon. I know they're not easily available in the US yet but they should be later this year. The point is they are now doing the Canyon Ultimate CF in some "womens" size bikes with 650 size wheels. Just as appropriate for men I'm sure. The standard size range are beautiful bikes in person and I'm sure these are no exception. I have a 2014 Ultimate CF SL and my brother just got a 2017 Ultimate CF SLX. I'd recommend them to anyone if they fit!
They're available in a range of builds and colour schemes:

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-slx-8-0-di2-w.html

Comes with disk brakes and down to a 3XS size with a stack of 484.5mm and a reach of 350mm. I don't know how that compares with what you're already able to find but it seems pretty small to me!

Their website also has a size calculator. Dan (Slowman) will likely be more accurate but they generally seem to get it close.
You just need the info you already provided plus torso length, shoulder width and arm length (Measure method is explained in the calculator).
https://www.canyon.com/...X%20Disc%208.0%20Di2
Last edited by: Ai_1: May 31, 17 7:54
Quote Reply