Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Breastfeeding, don't call it natural
Quote | Reply
Naturally a new message from habitually offended.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/137/4/e20154154
Quote Reply
Re: Breastfeeding, don't call it natural [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only read the first paragraph. It is a good illustration of if you control the language you can control the message. It makes sense to give up on the "breastfeeding is natural" narrative. We don't say "non-immunizing is natural" Breastfeeding is good for babies but hard work for moms.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Naturally a new LR post from habitually offended.

Fixed it. Of course folks across the political spectrum will take exception to this "natural" "logic". That said, there are a lot of folks who take this "Natural must be good" to extremes. Vibram Five Fingers, anyone (I know, take that shit to the Tri Forum....)
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 27, 17 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that and breast feeding is linked to autism
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fed is best.
Quote Reply
Re: Breastfeeding, don't call it natural [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using the word natural isn't the problem, teaching that natural is better in all cases is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the natural tag line didn't make sense. Taking a dump is natural that doesn't mean you should be able to do it anywhere you want. I'm not saying you can't breastfeed in public, but I am surprised when a woman chooses not to be discrete about it. My wife was always more comfortable going somewhere secluded or covering up while breastfeeding in public.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering all mammals breast feed their young from mammary glands - I'm pretty sure breastfeeding humans falls into the "natural" category. Just because our society has sexualized boobs to such a degree that it offends people when god forbid a woman exposes a boob to feed her child is pathetic. Trying to compare breastfeeding to vaccines is lame. (Rolling my eyes reading this article while nursing my daughter). Fed is best (my first son had to be supplemented with formula so I've been there) but don't try to tell me that formula is natural. Made with natural ingredients, sure, but mom nature isn't having women push cans of formula out their vag right after baby is born. If people can't figure out the difference between genetically modified foods or factory made versus the original "natural" version they should go back to school or grow some common sense.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm...conflating the use of the world "natural" by breastfeeding proponents and anti-vaxxers is a bit excessive.
Quote Reply