Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
By the way, Trump's comment about Germany being "bad, very bad" is garnering a lot of airplay

Maybe it's time DJT forgives them for bombing Pearl Harbor?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really do need to learn how to place links into your posts.

Krauthammer is upset because Trump didn't specifically say we would come to Europe's aid if they were attacked. Golly gee, did he have to write it out in crayon for his critics? Two, the CNBC story is another "inside sources say". Yet again, other sources who were in the meeting stated he is unhappy about Germany's trade surplus, hit to you, he isn't alone in being unhappy about the way Germany and Merkel do business. Ask any European leader how they feel about the subject and you will get an earful.

Trump does a lot of things wrong, but his statements at NATO were spot on.

As for Obama, he looks like an idiot. The guy is the ultimate narcissist.

oldandslow wrote:
Interesting take from Krauthammer:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5448692260001/?#sp=show-clips

By the way, Trump's comment about Germany being "bad, very bad" is garnering a lot of airplay:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/26/trump-calls-germans-very-bad-threatens-to-end-german-car-sales-reports.html
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
You really do need to learn how to place links into your posts.

Krauthammer is upset because Trump didn't specifically say we would come to Europe's aid if they were attacked. Golly gee, did he have to write it out in crayon for his critics? Two, the CNBC story is another "inside sources say". Yet again, other sources who were in the meeting stated he is unhappy about Germany's trade surplus, hit to you, he isn't alone in being unhappy about the way Germany and Merkel do business. Ask any European leader how they feel about the subject and you will get an earful.

Trump does a lot of things wrong, but his statements at NATO were spot on.

As for Obama, he looks like an idiot. The guy is the ultimate narcissist.

oldandslow wrote:
Interesting take from Krauthammer:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5448692260001/?#sp=show-clips

By the way, Trump's comment about Germany being "bad, very bad" is garnering a lot of airplay:

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/26/trump-calls-germans-very-bad-threatens-to-end-german-car-sales-reports.html

Reading this about BO on a post about Trump is quite amusing.
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Halvard wrote:
slowguy wrote:
We'll let's be honest. The 2% isn't a suggestion. It's a stated goal, set down on paper by the NATO members. It's true that it isn't a requirement, but it's not just a suggestion

Oh, and congrats to Norway on having good winter gear. When you are able to specialize in basically one climate, it tends to be a bit easier.

Trumps still does not know how NATO is funded. That is just strange.

Nice excuse for not having winter gear. The troops from UK have good gear. Also, the USA has a state called Alaska. It is quite hard weather there.

Are you under the impression that we spend a lot of time operating in Alaska? And did you just try to compare the US military with the UK's? I'm not sure you have an appreciation for the scope of difference.

I was under the impression that the US military could manage to have OK equipment.
Seriously how hard is it to have cold weather gear. Especially after being in a country like Afghanistan where it is cold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yet again, other sources who were in the meeting stated he is unhappy about Germany's trade surplus, hit to you, he isn't alone in being unhappy about the way Germany and Merkel do business. Ask any European leader how they feel about the subject and you will get an earful.

So, you talk to every European leader? Wow, that's awesome. BTW, are you pro-tariffs? That is exactly where Trump is going. I don't see anything that Trump has said on trade as being particularly helpful. Perhaps you want to support protectionism?
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 26, 17 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its pretty clear in europe that germany has held greece and italys feet to the fire, wants to do the same to france with respect to debt but constantly breaches the surplus guidelines. I know i am now a trump ball washer but germany only acts in its own interests.

Obviously the bmw comments were idiotic but the wider point is correct
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Obviously the bmw comments were idiotic but the wider point is correct

It is not the world's burden to endlessly parse complete idiocy and spin it in a way that makes it barely acceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
As we all know. Angela Merkel is the leader of the free world.
No one takes Trump seriously, especially since he still does not know how NATO is financed.
The 2% is a suggestion, not a requirement.

Also, if you do not go to stupid wars around the world, you can be a little bit smarter with your military expenses.
Fun fact, the US Marines went on a winter exercise in Norway and their equipment sucked. It is not that hard or expensive to have good equipment in snow.
https://kitup.military.com/...-showing-arctic.html

That article seemed to have a fairly negative bias, and I suspect some of the gear being tested is new. For example, they talk about pack failures and breaking frames, and yet the standard USMC pack is the ILBE, which is made by Arcteryx (based on the Bora), and it is quite stout and functional (I used to own one).

I'm not sure what the USMC uses for cold weather gear, but the clothing systems used by the Army and Air Force like ECWCS and PCU are actually pretty good. Some of it is made by Patagonia, for example, and they incorporate good materials like Polartec (Levels 1, 2, and 3), Nextec (Levels 4 and 5), Gore-Tex (Level 6), and Primaloft (Level 7). I buy a fair bit of this stuff because you can pick it up dirt-cheap as surplus, and it's fairly effective if not quite as light and refined as the top outdoor brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're right, so obama made the same criticism of NATO members and many of the 27 members of the EU as well as the european council have repeatedly commented on germanys trade surplus to no avail. Nothing he said was new though ironically in spite of being an idiot / clown which we mostly agree he is, when he says it it is far more concerning for germany than when a member of the eu says it

Trump being like a stopped clock can also be right twice a day............
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

You're right, so obama made the same criticism of NATO members ...

... and many of them shifted their spending. Did you even see the Krauthammer video? I very seldom agree with him, but his view that commitment to mutual defense was vastly more important than the 2% spending target was spot on. NATO has some issues, but Trump's been off the charts ridiculous, and he is harping on specific "America Only" topics without solidly committing to Article 5 is troubling. He could actually do both....
Last edited by: oldandslow: May 26, 17 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
You're right, so obama made the same criticism of NATO members and many of the 27 members of the EU as well as the european council have repeatedly commented on germanys trade surplus to no avail. Nothing he said was new though ironically in spite of being an idiot / clown which we mostly agree he is, when he says it it is far more concerning for germany than when a member of the eu says it

Then he's way ahead of the snowflake Canuks.
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
By the way, Trump's comment about Germany being "bad, very bad" is garnering a lot of airplay

THREAD WINNER RIGHT THERE!!!
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:

Then he's way ahead of the snowflake Canuks.

BURN! Wow you are awesome. The best. So interesting. Please post more.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
Travis R wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

THREAD WINNER RIGHT THERE!!!

I thought that nailed it. But figured it went over the heads of a lot of LR Trump supporters. LOL!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Krauthammer is upset because Trump didn't specifically say we would come to Europe's aid if they were attacked. Golly gee, did he have to write it out in crayon for his critics?

Attacked by who? Martians? There are no threats left that justify NATO. Hence the need to hype the Russian bogeyman
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:

Krauthammer is upset because Trump didn't specifically say we would come to Europe's aid if they were attacked. Golly gee, did he have to write it out in crayon for his critics?

Attacked by who? Martians? There are no threats left that justify NATO. Hence the need to hype the Russian bogeyman

How quickly we forget that the only time the NATO collective defense clause was invoked.

Hint, it wasn't in defense of Europe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   So Merkel has made a couple of widely reported comments about the EU having to take care of themselves. Is this good news, bad news,...just news? It seems like a mostly positive effect of Brexit and Trump to me.
-
""The times when we could completely rely on others are, to an extent, over," Merkel said at a beer hall(!) rally to support her campaign.
-
http://www.cnn.com/...mp-europe/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course thats after they have attempted to stiff the UK for 100bn euro's because quite rightly the existing northern countries do not want to make up the short fall from the UK leaving and southern countries will not accept a cut in handouts........

Its all good talk from merkel but she needs to put her money where he mouth is
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love how this story is being reported as a huge loss for Trump.

A Germany that doesn't freeload is exactly what Trump has been talking about.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: I am no Trump fan but........ [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:

How quickly we forget that the only time the NATO collective defense clause was invoked.

Hint, it wasn't in defense of Europe.

Fail.

You don't need NATO to attack a few cave dwelling ragmuffins outraged about the U.S. putting troops in their holy land and living in a lawless part of a godforsaken country unless you are intent on goosing your domestic ratings by starting a larger war against a regime that had nothing to do with 9/11. The only thing NATO proved useful for is telling the U.S. not to start an unprovoked war in Iraq, and the U.S. didn't listen.
Quote Reply

Prev Next