Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

replacing jockey wheels
Quote | Reply
One of my jockey wheels got damaged in transit, need to replace.
I figured I might as well spend a little extra and get something a bit better than the stock Ultegra ones.
What's a good alternative? wouldn't mind ceramic bearings if they don't cost a bunch more.
I see quite a few ones on Amazona and Ebay with aluminum wheels and ceramic bearings for unbelievably cheap cost, should I stay away from these?
I also saw some TACX ceramic wheels, are these any good?
Nothing more than $80 please.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: replacing jockey wheels [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would buy a new Dura-Ace rear derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: replacing jockey wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:facepalm:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
srschick wrote:
:facepalm:

Why, he gave excellent advice?
If you are going to spend more money then get the better derailleur that comes with better pulleys anyway.
Plus your derailleur may very well be bent if the pulleys have been damaged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to replace the jockey pulleys purchase the Ultegra or Dura Ace pulleys and don't waste your money on anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really depends on the derailleur that you have. If it is undamaged and worth keeping, of course you can replace the jockey wheels. Original jockey wheels might not be the best choice because many of them use slowish bushing bearings (instead of low friction ball bearings).

And you can get new sealed bearing Tacx jockey wheels for under 20 bucks. They are super low resistance and they work great (but you don't need ceramic bearings, those are usually not a good use of your money). I have used Tacx jockey wheels for years, they are reliable and a good upgrade/replacement.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 26, 17 10:38
Quote Reply
Re: replacing jockey wheels [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! That's the kind of info I was looking for. I knew the Ultegra RD uses a bushing for the upper, figured I may as well switch to a sealed bearing if I'm going to replace anyway.
A couple of teeth on one of the pulleys got damaged, really don't see the need to replace the entire RD.
The $100 difference between replacement pulleys vs a new RD can be used elsewhere, such as swim coaching...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps you were exaggerating but:

You can get a brand new Ultegra derailleur for $50 to $70 all day long so the difference is not $100, it's more like $30 to $50.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All good, just make sure if you have a 10 speed RD, get 10 speed compatible pulleys. If you have an 11 speed RD, get 11 speed compatible pulleys.

Tacx makes steel bearing and stainless steel bearing pulleys (both are sealed bearings), get whichever fits your price and needs ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: replacing jockey wheels [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, meant for the DA one as suggested above
Quote Reply