Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo Wheel Question
Quote | Reply
Hello -

Will a power tap GS hub work on a flo 30 aluminum rim? The specs say that the drilling options are 20, 24, 28, and 32 Hole so I assume as long as I get the 24 hole it would work?

The flo 30 rim is only $80 and I want to avoid carbon because I had bad luck with my last Mercury wheel.

I would be getting an aero jacket from wheel builder to add on to this for races, so the rim depth does not bother me. I am on a small budget.

So if the hub and rim do work together, how do I know what spokes and what length spokes to get? I know a local guy who can build this all up but I wanted to iron out some of the details before contacting him.

Thanks for your answers advice.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: May 25, 17 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheel Question [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoke calculator.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they work fine with the 30, but Flo do not recommend it. Or maybe that's for the 60/90 rims? If you email them I'm sure they'll tell you.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW - there's someone selling that setup (PowerTap GS + Flo 30) in the classified section (think it's still available) for $600.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheel Question [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
FWIW - there's someone selling that setup (PowerTap GS + Flo 30) in the classified section (think it's still available) for $600.

Powertap is selling the GS for 399...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Hello -

Will a power tap GS hub work on a flo 30 aluminum rim? The specs say that the drilling options are 20, 24, 28, and 32 Hole so I assume as long as I get the 24 hole it would work?

The flo 30 rim is only $80 and I want to avoid carbon because I had bad luck with my last Mercury wheel.

I would be getting an aero jacket from wheel builder to add on to this for races, so the rim depth does not bother me. I am on a small budget.

So if the hub and rim do work together, how do I know what spokes and what length spokes to get? I know a local guy who can build this all up but I wanted to iron out some of the details before contacting him.

You can use any powertap hub with all of the rims we sell on our site. That includes the FLO 30, and Carbon Clincher FLO 45, 60, and 90.

As far as spoke lengths go, that depends on the flange diameter of the specific hub you are using, the lacing pattern and the nipples. It sounds like you have a reputable builder. I'd go to him and have him sort out the spoke lengths for you. They are unique for each build spec so I really can't tell you off the top of my head. Also, as a final note, we recommend nipple washers with all of our builds.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheel Question [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:
Hello -

You can use any powertap hub with all of the rims we sell on our site. That includes the FLO 30, and Carbon Clincher FLO 45, 60, and 90.

As far as spoke lengths go, that depends on the flange diameter of the specific hub you are using, the lacing pattern and the nipples. It sounds like you have a reputable builder. I'd go to him and have him sort out the spoke lengths for you. They are unique for each build spec so I really can't tell you off the top of my head. Also, as a final note, we recommend nipple washers with all of our builds.

Take care,

Thank you everyone and FLO for your responses. I didn't realize that spoke length had so many variables and was so complex. I did talk to the wheel builder and he said he will handle it no problems. I ordered the rim last night. The builder is going to handle ordering the correct spokes. Thanks.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bluestacks867 wrote:
Canadian wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:
Hello -

Take care,

Thank you everyone and FLO for your responses. I didn't realize that spoke length had so many variables and was so complex. I did talk to the wheel builder and he said he will handle it no problems. I ordered the rim last night. The builder is going to handle ordering the correct spokes. Thanks.

Also, just to be thorough, here are the recommended spoke tensions from our Owner's Manual.

2012 AND 2016 Model Aluminum + Carbon Wheels

Front Wheels
• 90-110 kg-f

Rear Wheels
• Drive Side: 90-110 kgf
• Non Drive Side: 50-90 kgf

2016 Model Carbon Clincher Wheels

Front Wheels
• 90-120 kg-f

Rear Wheels
• Drive Side: 100-130 kgf
• Non Drive Side: Min: 30 kgf / Max: 130 kgf Recommended

Tools
• Sapim Hexagonal Nipple Key
• Sapim CX/CX-Ray Key

See http://www.sapim.be for details about the tools listed above.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A good wheelbuilder doesn't measure spoke tension.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheel Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
A good wheelbuilder doesn't measure spoke tension.

That's a matter of opinion. We'll agree to disagree. I know a lot of great builders who do.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your recommended spoke tensions have quite a wide range. Why?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheel Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because hubs have differing geometry.
They give the limits of which they suggest you use to not have problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Wheel Question [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Because hubs have differing geometry.

Unless I'm missing something, that explains the wide range on the NDS, but not the DS. Regardless of hub geometry, you should be able to get the DS up to a specific tension.
Quote Reply