Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If you're in the 45-64 age group... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that's a bizarre and confusing statistic table. 25 and under 55 to 64 and 45 to 54 and total. Where is the 25 to 44 age group? Does that mean no one from that age group or over 64 died on a motorcycle in Ontario between 2008-2014?
There are more riders in that age demographic ( in the US ) so I would expect there to be more fatalities.

"The median age of the typical motorcycle owner is 47, up from 32 in 1990 and 40 in 2009. And although its sales are slipping, Harley maintains a 55.1% share of the 35 and older male rider demographic. However, more troubling for the industry is the decline in riders under 18, which has fallen from 8% in 1990 to 2%, and those between 18 and 24 from 16% of the total down to 6%. Where will the new bike buyers come from if the industry is not attracting these younger people?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's weird that no one would mention that 45 to 64 is the age group that would have: a.) the time, b.) the money and, c.) the energy to purchase a bike and go on long rides. When I see large groups of riders they are almost always senior citizens.

I suppose you thought it wasn't weird that men had accidents at over 8x the rate of women... only because women are way, way, way better motorcycle drivers than men!
Last edited by: SH: May 25, 17 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: If you're in the 45-64 age group... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
It's weird that no one would mention that 45 to 64 is the age group that would have: a.) the time, b.) the money and, c.) the energy to purchase a bike and go on long rides. When I see large groups of riders they are almost always senior citizens.

I suppose you thought it wasn't weird that men had accidents at over 8x the rate of women... only because women are way, way, way better motorcycle drivers than men!

I'm willing to bet on a per capita basis that women are probably in less accidents then men. Women tend to be a bit more cautious and I'll bet less likely to ride squid(motorcyclist term for riding without helmet or protection). There are some definite advantages of having less testosterone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably more of a demographic thing-
  • Baby Boomers outnumber Millennials as motorcycle owners at a 4-to-1 ratio.
  • http://brandongaille.com/32-compelling-motorcycle-demographics/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
SH wrote:

I'm willing to bet on a per capita basis that women are probably in less accidents then men. Women tend to be a bit more cautious and I'll bet less likely to ride squid(motorcyclist term for riding without helmet or protection). There are some definite advantages of having less testosterone.

Per capita, yes. But men drive more than women. Numbers below are from the US, but I imagine they'd be similar ratios for Canada. https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/...ho-causes-accidents/

So men account for roughly 1.73^12 miles driven per year, while women drive a combined total of 1.07^12 miles per year.
That means men drive about 30 percent more miles than women. Yet, they’re implicated in slightly less than 30 percent of car accidents. Men do cause more accidents, but they are actually less at-risk than women, by a small margin.

Quote Reply
Re: If you're in the 45-64 age group... [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
Probably more of a demographic thing-
  • Baby Boomers outnumber Millennials as motorcycle owners at a 4-to-1 ratio.
  • http://brandongaille.com/32-compelling-motorcycle-demographics/

Very good url. Well worth reading. Let me re-post.

http://brandongaille.com/...rcycle-demographics/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! My 53yo neighbor just picked up an enormous Harley last week. He dropped it out in front of his house already and has a terrible gash and bruise on his leg Fits the narrative perfectly!
Quote Reply
Re: If you're in the 45-64 age group... [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rented a f800gs about a month ago

A test ride

I was at a light, front of queue, hill start to turn right

Light goes green and between getting in to first and not enough gas bike peels over in slo mo

Everyone behind me ia beeping. It was france ao i just shrugged my shoulders and said i cant pick that up ;)

Bloke behind helped and i set off on the next set..........

I really do worry about running out of road, cliffs, rain but i do enjoy it and i am a very cautious / conservative rider. Not hesitant but aware
Quote Reply
Re: If you're in the 45-64 age group... [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
Ha! My 53yo neighbor just picked up an enormous Harley last week. He dropped it out in front of his house already and has a terrible gash and bruise on his leg Fits the narrative perfectly!

Here's another big surprise, at least to me. Motorcycle crashes are the #1 cause of death among US military. If you do a further google its highest among marines, particularly 20-24 age group and much higher than the civilian population in that age group. I can sort of see it with the marines since they tend to be gung-ho and think they're indestructible, but not sure why its also so high in the other branches of the military.

http://www.claimsjournal.com/...013/12/04/240881.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because they are not representative of all 20-24 year olds. They are already a sub set determined by whoever is the type of person that is prediaposed to join the military.
Quote Reply
Re: If you're in the 45-64 age group... [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
Because they are not representative of all 20-24 year olds. They are already a sub set determined by whoever is the type of person that is prediaposed to join the military.

I'm sure 20-24 yr old marines have a completely different mind set than most civilians of that AG. Its sad that they have such a high death rate on motorcycles, but maybe not so surprising when you think about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just had a 54 year old women lose control of her motor cycle and run over by a gravel truck yesterday. She died at the scene. Sad to see.

On my bike ride (human powered!) today I saw the aftermath of motorcycle accident. Paramedics were just getting there and he was lying on the pavement being attended to by other motorists. Not sure what caused it though.

Stay safe!!
Quote Reply
Re: If you're in the 45-64 age group... [buddhabelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buddhabelly wrote:
We just had a 54 year old women lose control of her motor cycle and run over by a gravel truck yesterday. She died at the scene. Sad to see.

On my bike ride (human powered!) today I saw the aftermath of motorcycle accident. Paramedics were just getting there and he was lying on the pavement being attended to by other motorists. Not sure what caused it though.

Stay safe!!

Sad to hear that. That's why I'm armored up as much as possible. Was driving home today in my car on a major highway and saw lots of bikes but just don't understand the squids, almost exclusively on Harley's with the minimal protection. Saw two Harley guys, both wearing jeans and leather jackets and both had women on the back in shorts and tank tops. Do these guys not care about their wives/girlfriends. Really rocked my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
MLCRISES wrote:

Here's another big surprise, at least to me. Motorcycle crashes are the #1 cause of death among US military. If you do a further google its highest among marines, particularly 20-24 age group and much higher than the civilian population in that age group. I can sort of see it with the marines since they tend to be gung-ho and think they're indestructible, but not sure why its also so high in the other branches of the military.

http://www.claimsjournal.com/...013/12/04/240881.htm

I'd believe it. I live near a RAAF base in Australia and you can hear the motorbikes screaming some mornings, i think they are just thrill seekers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next