Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Obviously, playing Bass isn't very hard
Quote | Reply
Looks like pretty much anyone could do it....

https://laughingsquid.com/...ie-finger-bass-solo/

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Obviously, playing Bass isn't very hard [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While that is neat, it's the accompanying drum and synth track that makes this sound impressive. In reality, it's not.

There's a reason why everyone who tried to form a band when they were kids got their talentless younger sibling on bass.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Obviously, playing Bass isn't very hard [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The solo isn't particularly special, but the pinkie is a notoriously weak finger. He does one where he plays RHCP songs with a chili, one with a fidget spinner, one where he covers video game themes, etc.

Not saying he's the greatest ever, just entertaining.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
While that is neat, it's the accompanying drum and synth track that makes this sound impressive. In reality, it's not.

There's a reason why everyone who tried to form a band when they were kids got their talentless younger sibling on bass.

Tell that to Victor Wooten.
Quote Reply
Re: Obviously, playing Bass isn't very hard [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or Stanley Clarke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVasAri0kU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You beat me to it. Victor is unreal on the bass & a nice dude to boot. I thought he was good with the Flecktones, but his live solo talent is at another level altogether.

aarondb4 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Obligatory Token reference. Though Token is the opposite of talentless.

Last edited by: trail: May 23, 17 18:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I was speaking sort of tongue in cheek.

My favourite rhythm section:

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Obviously, playing Bass isn't very hard [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
You beat me to it. Victor is unreal on the bass & a nice dude to boot. I thought he was good with the Flecktones, but his live solo talent is at another level altogether.

aarondb4 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I agree Clark and Wooten are technically proficient on the instrument, but if you really want to find out if the person is a bass player hand him an upright bass and some sheet music. I would guess that 99% of "bass" players in bands would be lost on a fretless instrument that weighs almost as much as they do.

Yes, I played in college and still play to this day (35 years later) although I have a Dean Pace electric fretless upright now that actually fits in a vehicle. Once in a while I even read sheet music (to the amazement of everyone but the piano player) but normally I just fake it off tabs or make it up watching the guitar player. Or I already know the song from years of playing in various places. There are only so many 50's and 60's bass lines :)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Obviously, playing Bass isn't very hard [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've told this story before, so you can just go to the bar and wait it out if you've heard it already

When I worked at The Peddler's Shop in Haddonfield, it was transitioning from a road/touring bike shop to a BMX / skateboard shop. I was trying to learn guitar and doing a real shitty job of it. She was a skatepunk who convinced me to play bass ... her logic was simple "a guitar has six strings, you have five fingers. The guitar has you outnumbered. A bass on the other hand..."

There was a vacant apartment above, which oddly enough had the same locks as the shop, so the same set of keys opened both sets of doors. Being an older building, both upstairs and downstairs had very creaky hardwood floors, plus the shop door had one of those old jingle bells that rang whenever someone came in ... It kinda functioned as an Early Warning System, and we would often take advantage of it when the customer traffic got slow

She's a nurse now, I believe.

Anyway, I've always said that the only talent a bass player NEEDS [especially in a punk or metal band, as I was] is the ability to count to four ... very quickly

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

I was speaking sort of tongue in cheek.

My favourite rhythm section:

You ever hear the isolated audio tracks of BSSM songs on Youtube?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

My personal Idol ... in SO MANY ways

#youdontstrumabass

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

The bass is the easiest rock instrument to learn how to play, yet the hardest rock instrument to find someone who's any good at it.

Its also the instrument that one can be bad on and no one will notice, yet also make the band sound terrible, more so than any other instrument.

The bass is the foundation of the band, and the key to playing it well is playing each note precisely at the right part of the beat. If the note is a little early or a little late, the whole band sounds muddy.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Obviously, playing Bass isn't very hard [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Agree. Agree

I plead guilty on all three charges, Your Honor

Quote Reply