Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just ship to a fed ex location and they hold it for me
Quote Reply
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I'm sure these instructions will help a lot of people beyond myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I just ship to a fed ex location and they hold it for me

X2 I just ship to Fedex Location and pickup. Not sure if my rates are even cheaper this way or not, never thought about it. The reality is I normally have a homestay and I don't want to burden them with additional tasks. Frankly I know at the Fedex location someone will be there to sign for it and keep and eye out for it.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
I can use the shipping accounts at work for UPS or FedEx. I get their rates and reimburse the company. It ends up being really cheap, and I don't have to worry about the box being opened at the airport.

I have seen the shipping rates for some really big volume shippers and I am still usually blown away by the cost. A particular tri company, a really really big one, offered to send my bike home one summer because of their great rates with me reimbursing. BikeFlights was cheaper and my local Fedex was a lot closer than driving the bike to the other side of town.

For others, I always pack my bike in my normal airline case. It is a hardshell. I do often take it with Spirit. Frankly Spirit charges you for carry-on bags, so I jam everything I need into the bike box. When there is no escaping bag fees Spirit $75 is quite the deal when you think about it. I have had flights that were like $10-20 fares on Spirit plus taxes. Their entire business model is the nickel-and-dime so I am happy to pay the $75. Plus Spirit fares are actually refundable. A lot of people don't know that. For me, flying out of MCO they fly nearly everywhere I need to go.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Southwest Airlines, always $75. And when I flew Interjet to IM Cozumel, bikes fly free!

RowToTri wrote:
mtbr wrote:
chriselam wrote:
mtbr wrote:
Because Spirit Airlines only charges $75 to check a bike as baggage.

I just did it a few weeks ago

Of course you're then flying Spirit Airlines so you've already lost.

Fair enough but I don't see Delta, American, United or any other being significantly better. You just get nickel and dimed with Spirit and if you plan accordingly (and you fit into one of their tiny seats) it's cheaper.

I think the real problem with Spirit is their delay and cancellation rates:

In 2016 32% of Spirit flights were delayed. 2.7% cancelled. If you need to be rescheduled, it may take days because they do not have as many flights as the big airlines

Delta had 12.6% delayed, 0.6% cancelled. United 15% delayed, 1.7% cancelled. And if you need to be rescheduled it is usually within hours, almost always within a day.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few questions for this thread. Heading out to California in a month on vacation, bringing the bike of course. I'm traveling with the family, so it makes sense to ship it rather than try to lug it to the airport and into the rental car on the other side.

Box: I've got a hard case from a friend. It's the ubiquitous trapezoidal case sold under a thousand names. The problem, besides the weight and exact dimensions, are the hard plastic handles on the side of the case. Can I leave those exposed, remove them, or plastic wrap them down?
I think it is $100/direction - it might make sense to go with a 46ish x 8ish x 30 TV flat screen box, as it will save $50each way if I can keep the weight down.

Fedex Store Receiving - anyone had problems here? Any hassle? How many padding days do you give (4day ground shipment)?

Quote Reply
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [jfranci3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a box just like that one to ship a bike to many places in North America.

My only real complaint about that case is that when rolling across a non-flat surface (uneven sidewalk) the bottom drags on the ground.

Other than that, the case is larger than most I've used and packing is really easy.

I normally call a FedEx store to check on the receiving. Some FedEx stores are really another business with a small FedEx section and are not a full-blown FedEx package and ship center.

I try to have it arrive 1 day before I do. Realistically, I get off the plane, get the rental car, drive to my destination and want to relax. I then pick the bike up early the next morning.

Since on Delta the bike fly's for the price of a bag now, I've been taking it on the plane but shipping it home.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [jfranci3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend using shipbikes.com instead of bike flights now. Bike Flights lost their FedEx parternership and rates have increased a ton.

I typically just pick up a cardboard box from a local shop and use that. $50-80 each way.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll to right ========> For those that selected "UPS or Fedex" why??? [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had something happen w/shipbikes.com 2x now in shipping bikes from AZ to NC and back.

They have said delivery day of X.

I've arrived home the day before delivery to find my bike case delivered sitting in my carport.

pretty badass imo!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next