Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to a video that shows you an easy way to put on Arm Coolers.

CLICK HERE

As always let me know if you have any questions.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Last edited by: Emilio: May 23, 17 12:35
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: An easy way to don Arm Coolers [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as someone who (esp later in life) fatigues a lot from too much solar radiation, i love these things (and i can't find another manufacturer who makes an arm cooler nearly as to my liking as these).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: An easy way to don Arm Coolers [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hey Dan, I did not know this, thank you very much for your kind words. We are actually running a special offer of 20% off all Skin Cooler tops, Arm Coolers and other accessories through this friday. Viewers can click here for details.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Under what conditions would you recommend these vs the wings?
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for another tip. I will definitely be using this for my arm coolers. The sun has finally come out this year, so the arm coolers get to come out of hibernation.

I have been using the putting on a tri top tip since it was posted here a few weeks ago. Stepping through the neck is genius.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
Under what conditions would you recommend these vs the wings?

If you have a tri top with short sleeves or if your race is short, or if you are using them for training in a traditional bike jersey, get the Arm Coolers.

If you have a tri top without sleeves, your race is long, and your shoulders need protection from the sun, get the CoolWings.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Emilio

I have a pair of cool wings that I've been using since 2009. Has anything changed in the design or material since then?
Last edited by: kiwi.: May 23, 17 17:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Customer service like this is why Desoto gets my money.

I've been thinking about picking a set of these up and now I will.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiwi. wrote:
Hi Emilio

I have a pair of cool wings that I've been using since 2009. Has anything changed in the design or material since then?

They lasted you 9 years! Great to hear this. To answer your question, yes, the material has changed drastically. Back in 2013 we eliminated the meshy knit. It is less see-through now, more durable, more aerodynamic, and disperses the moisture across the body better. Also it blocks more sun. Read below for details on the Skin Cooler 90 fiber and fabric.

Skin Cooler 90™
Skin Cooler 90™ has a silky cold sensation and offers the sun protection.
When the human body gets hot, it sweats to cool itself. In the past, other brands have tried to help that process by developing fabrics that wick moisture away from the skin and expedite evaporation. For over a decade, De Soto has taken this concept a step further by using that moisture to create a cooling effect. YES! WE WANT YOU WET. Skin Cooler™ works by a series of channels knitted into light fabric. As these channels get wet, they absorb moisture and swell, which dissipates the heat making the fabric against your skin actually cooler, how much cooler depends on factors including airflow, humidity, ambient temperature, and moisture temperature. When you sweat, the garment’s surface temperature drops and creates an actual cooling sensation. Skin Cooler 90™ offers this cooling effect while offering even more sun protection.
NOTE: No garment should ever be a substitute so we always recommend you wear sunscreen underneath these, and all, products. It is crucial to keep in mind that a sunscreen's (whichever brand you may choose) SPF/UPF rating refers only to its ability to protect skin from UVB radiation. Because we know that UVA damage can be just as insidious, it is essential for the health of your skin that you use a sunscreen that contains the UVA-protecting ingredients of titanium dioxide or zinc oxide.
DO THE COLORED FABRICS OR THE PARTS WITH LOGOS AFFECT THE COOLING?
NO! No matter what the color is of the Skin Cooler Products or the logos on the outside, you will notice that the fabric on the inside is still all white. The reason is that the sublimation process we use to place our logos or any other color on our fabric, turns the ink into a gas that adheres only to the outside of the fabric. Therefore this ink is non-absorbent and does not affect the technical integrity of the product in any way. So the colored parts of the products will keep you just as cool as the white.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio wrote:
kiwi. wrote:
Hi Emilio

They lasted you 9 years! Great to hear this. To answer your question, yes, the material has changed drastically. Back in 2013 we eliminated the meshy knit. It is less see-through now, more durable, more aerodynamic, and disperses the moisture across the body better. Also it blocks more sun. Read below for details on the Skin Cooler 90 fiber and fabric.

Thanks Emilio. From photos it looked like the fabric had changed. The older mesh style wasn't the most comfortable and I look forward to trying the new one.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new Skin Cooler 90 feels like silk. I mean that in both literal and figurative terms. That was my goal. You will blown away at this new generation of Skin Cooler.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm getting ready to cycle across the country. While I'm got my regular arm warmers I've wondered about using arm coolers or something else when coming into the sunny states like SD, etc & across the hot Midwest. I tired some yrs ago in an IMCDA & found the hot & confining. I was told one needs to keep them wet with cold water which wont be a reality for me with long mileage days out in the boonies Have things changed so I should be considering these?
I'm interested in protecting skin & staying cool?
Thanks,
ps Now have 2 pair of your 400 bike shorts (men's M) that I'll be using.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Great question. What you were told is wrong. You do not have to wet them. I hope you will consider the Arm Cooler or Coolwings for your adventure.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also still rocking a TEN-YEAR-OLD pair of original Arm Coolers that you handed me directly at the TriSports Opening Day in Tucson.

I'm rocking them now in COLOMBIA (South America), although the elastic top cuffs are due for retirement. Can't wait to get some new ones and a Balaclava as well.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markvoss wrote:
I'm also still rocking a TEN-YEAR-OLD pair of original Arm Coolers that you handed me directly at the TriSports Opening Day in Tucson.

I'm rocking them now in COLOMBIA (South America), although the elastic top cuffs are due for retirement. Can't wait to get some new ones and a Balaclava as well.

Very nice. Wow you are overdue. You will love the improvements over that 10-year old set. As for the Coolhead Balaclava, it is a must for anyone trying to stay cool, in the heat.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but the Balaclava will be for extra SUN PROTECTION only 400 miles from the Equator.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You definitely need it there.

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just ordered the Balaclava from Desoto Sports. I'll have the next person that visits us from the States down to Colombia bring it down.

Gracias.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Emilio,

An idea I hope you'd consider someday - A hat with extra room in the top that you can pour ice in when you run through an aid station. It then holds the ice and lets it melt over your head as you run. One way would be a flap with velcro around the rim. Pull the flap back, pour ice in, push the velcro ring back down, put hat back on your head and run cool.

I've been doing a small cloth bag with ice in it under a bigger trucker hat down here in Texas and the difference is amazing.

Still LOVING my De Soto two-piece wetsuit! Truly the Ferrari of wetsuits, as you promised. :)

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jun 1, 17 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So stopping mid-race, unclipping, straddling the bike, reaching in the jersey pocket for the arm coolers, dropping them to the ground, cursing, unstraddling the bike, leaning it against my legs, reaching down for the arm coolers, bike moves and falls, more cursing, finally putting the arm coolers on, and then picking up the bike and finding a bent RD hanger, is the wrong way to do this?
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I only race in truckers and we use a quality cap with a rather high brim for this very purpose! As for a flap, stuff like that just raises the cost of the cap to a point, that people would say, "screw that, I will just use a trucker." Look around more and more people are racing in truckers, and it is not just for the bad ass looks. Glad you are enjoying that T1 Wetsuit, you might be overdue for a new one by now. GreenGoma rubber is way better!

ZenTriBrett wrote:
Emilio,

An idea I hope you'd consider someday - A hat with extra room in the top that you can pour ice in when you run through an aid station. It then holds the ice and lets it melt over your head as you run. One way would be a flap with velcro around the rim. Pull the flap back, pour ice in, push the velcro ring back down, put hat back on your head and run cool.

I've been doing a small cloth bag with ice in it under a bigger trucker hat down here in Texas and the difference is amazing.

Still LOVING my De Soto two-piece wetsuit! Truly the Ferrari of wetsuits, as you promised. :)

Emilio De Soto II
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: A fast and easy way to put on Arm Coolers [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
So stopping mid-race, unclipping, straddling the bike, reaching in the jersey pocket for the arm coolers, dropping them to the ground, cursing, unstraddling the bike, leaning it against my legs, reaching down for the arm coolers, bike moves and falls, more cursing, finally putting the arm coolers on, and then picking up the bike and finding a bent RD hanger, is the wrong way to do this?

Yes. Have you tried dropping the full length arm cooler into your front spokes and getting the whole thing wrapped around your fork and then saying, "There has to be a better way." while airborne on your way to a surprise helmet test?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply