Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone here own/use a derailleur hangar adjustment tool? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Thanks. Yup, familiar with the replaceable derailleur hangers and their concept, but for some reason it still always gave me that sinking feeling when yanking on one with the tool! :)

I've snapped a lot of hangers over the years but never a frame. Most of the time you'll know before you even start that the hanger will snap but it is a bit of fun to give it a go anyway.

I also have the joy of playing with a lot of vintage, retro and Team Issue bikes, most of which tend to have non-replaceable hangers. Admittedly they are usually made of steel which helps but it's still a nerve racking task.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here own/use a derailleur hangar adjustment tool? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one and bought it when I built up my first bike from the frame up. Haven't used it since that build but it did come in handy as the hanger on the used frame I bought was slightly off.

Mine's just taking space in my toolbox as my shifting is fine on that bike so no need to check it.

Another poster reminded me I should really get a spare hanger for my road bike and probably MTB too for the just in case moments. For my Tri bike Felt was kind enough to not provide removable derailleur hangers on my B12. So I didn't even bother to check that one since I can't adjust it. But it seems to be a theme among most Tri/TT makers to that too (seems Felt isn't the only ones to jump on that bandwagon). A little disappointed in that but it is what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone here own/use a derailleur hangar adjustment tool? [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
In cylcocross I have seen frames destroyed by jammed derailleurs. Both cases amounted to thousands in damage due to a poorly designed $20 aluminum hanger.

That happened to me last year at Jingle Cross. 6 month old carbon fiber frame; same one as a pro team was racing that weekend. While I brought an extra hanger and derailleur, I never did think to bring an extra frame. The carbon fiber around the dropout cracked about 1cm and even though it's metal underneath (structurally sound), the cracked frame pushed outwards against the replacement hanger so there was so way to get get a chain to drop down into the 11 tooth....or even shift somewhat well. The hanger was/is a pretty beefy two piece affair. The body (along with the cage) of the RD bent and the hanger bent quite a bit before the RD was ripped out of the threads, but the hanger stayed in one piece.
Quote Reply

Prev Next