Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bigger penalty box tent may be needed
Quote | Reply
https://www.instagram.com/...n-by=fred_of_the_day

THink its Chatt from weekend. Looks like it.
Last edited by: albertok: May 23, 17 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [albertok] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bahahaha. Saw that whole pack out there. Everyone taking turns. I tried to ride past them a few times and finally gave up and let them go. Glad to see they got caught.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
albertok wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/...n-by=fred_of_the_day

THink its Chatt from weekend. Looks like it.

That is quite the sin bin - I recognize two people in that picture btw. Surprisingly everyone looks pretty calm. Those volunteers must be veterans in the penalty box to handle that kind of load. How did they manage the 5 minutes with that many people?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They had a crapton of stop watches, and there was an honor system. It looked like they could handle about 20-30 people at a time. My wife was across the street and that spectator crowd was laughing and commenting at how busy the tent was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they do a group flying mount leaving the penalty tent? most of them leave shoes in the pedals and are barefoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
They had a crapton of stop watches, and there was an honor system. It looked like they could handle about 20-30 people at a time. My wife was across the street and that spectator crowd was laughing and commenting at how busy the tent was.

lol

you mentioned you got a penalty. is that you in the yellow. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
Did they do a group flying mount leaving the penalty tent? most of them leave shoes in the pedals and are barefoot.

I was wondering the same thing. Why would you take your shoes off?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The tent should be moved onto the grass for the volunteers and let the drafters sit out in the sun.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol... I did look for myself in that picture. There were only about 1/2 dozen people in the box with me. We had a nice nutrition picnic, encouraged one another, and then pedaled on. :)

The volunteers in the tent were top-notch professional, and none of the riders were rude. I wonder if the USAT marshals had the directive to flag anything that remotely resembles a draft; that the mac-daddy smackdown was underway. Still, it occurred to me last night that if I had jumped into one of the early draft packs, I would probably have ridden 15-20 minutes faster. If I got busted with a penalty, I would still have been net 15 minutes ahead. From an economics point of view, institutional cheating totally makes sense!

mgreer wrote:
The 2nd tent was only about 30 yards from the bike dismount line into T2. So, there was no point in clipping in, because there were just a few strokes before getting back off the bike.
Last edited by: exxxviii: May 23, 17 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
ChrisT wrote:

Wild guess. First guy to the tent did it and the others saw and followed because they didn't want to look like wimps. (Even though they wouldn't have.)

Makes no sense. Pavement all the way, and they can ride straight from the tent. Keep the shoes on.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
bahahaha. Saw that whole pack out there. Everyone taking turns. I tried to ride past them a few times and finally gave up and let them go. Glad to see they got caught.

Ditto. And kudos for the ref(s) for giving out that many cards. I've been in too many races where the refs are either timid or really just wanted to have a front row seat of the bike leg instead of doing their damn job.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dismount line was about 20 yards away. I was out of my shoes before I even knew the tent was there. No , I didn't get a penalty LOL

Big Sexy Racing 2018
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [Diehl78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the got some of them, :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [dandr614] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The title to that pic is funny as hell!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing that group. We really need a Game of Thrones style penalty box for these douche bags. Send the wetsuit strippers over to the penalty box to strip the trisuits and march them through T2 while spectators pelt them with banana peels and Gu wrappers yelling "shame!"

Or if that's too much, penalties should be like 15 minutes. You could easily save 20 or more minutes over 56 miles by drafting. What difference does 5 minutes make if they're already up 20 and saved energy in the process.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:
I remember seeing that group. We really need a Game of Thrones style penalty box for these douche bags. Send the wetsuit strippers over to the penalty box to strip the trisuits and march them through T2 while spectators pelt them with banana peels and Gu wrappers yelling "shame!"

Or if that's too much, penalties should be like 15 minutes. You could easily save 20 or more minutes over 56 miles by drafting. What difference does 5 minutes make if they're already up 20 and saved energy in the process.
My suggestion: penalty tents paired about 5 miles apart.

They should make you stop at the 2nd station, get a sticker or whatever, then ride *back* to the previous station and turn it in. Then continue the race. Adding miles on to someone's race is a much better deterrent.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's brilliant. Like the penalty laps in biathlon.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Bigger penalty box tent may be needed [rotosound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rotosound wrote:

too bad there's no quick way to make their bike a fixie and make it a super easy gear. maybe move the chain into the small ring, bust off the derailleurs, and ding the big ring with a hammer so they can't even move the chain there manually.
Quote Reply