Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

RIP Sir Roger Moore
Quote | Reply
Passed at 89.

Actor Sir Roger Moore, best known for playing James Bond, has died aged 89, his family has announced.
He played the famous spy in seven Bond films including Live and Let Die and the Spy Who Loved Me.
Sir Roger's family confirmed the news on Twitter, saying he had died after "a short but brave battle with cancer".
The statement, from his children, read: "Thank you Pops for being you, and being so very special to so many people."
"With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated," they said in a Twitter post.
http://www.bbc.com/...inment-arts-40018422

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: May 23, 17 6:54
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too bad, but that's a good long life.

Moore's Bond has grown on me over time. AMC or TNT or some other station did a weekend marathon of the "Bronze Bond" last year, which I thought was a good title - I figured it alluded to him being most people's third favorite Bond, also the third in line of portrayal, and perpetually tanned :) He was a great Bond for the campy '70's, not at all believable as a badass but still cheerfully louche in a non-threatening, less rapey way than Connery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sad news. Seemed like a life well lived.

As a kid though I probably remember best from Cannonball Run.

RIP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Live and Let Die is still one of my favorite Bond movies, in addition to the classic boat chase I always liked this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZBlO5glJ2s

"Same time tomorrow, Mrs. Bell?" RIP

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Christmas the little missy bought me this big coffee table book of all the Bond movies in chrono order. There is a chapter for each movie, with background stuff, interviews with cast and crew, gossip, and behind the scences info and photos. So I made a point to read a chapter, then watch the film via Netflix. Went through the whole series, start to finish.

Roger Moore's version of Bond may not have been my favorite, but the early movies were quite entertaining. Sometimes schmarmy, but good action, decent vilians, and of course the bond girls. Except Moonraker. No excuse for that.

All in all, I give Sir Roger thumbs up.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Live and Let Die is still one of my favorite Bond movies,.....

Yep, same here.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me were certainly his best.

Anyone remember Ffolkes? He kills Anthony Perkins with a spear gun.

Couple years ago at a silent auction I won a framed print with all 7 movie Bonds autographed.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NedRise [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I hate to hear that. He was my favorite Bond actor, not as phycial as later actors, but I thought he delivered Bond quips better than anyone.

RIP 007

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me it is a shame that Roger Moore will be remembered as James Bond.

I thought Moore was just wonderful as The Saint. He was the perfect actor to play Simon Templar but was miscast as James Bond.

Moore's Bond was not good but not because he was not a good actor; he just wasn't the right actor. I will add that the writing was part of the problem as well. Bond movies in the Moore era got awfully silly. Moore could have been a better Bond if the script writing was better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite 007. RIP
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
outerlimit wrote:
To me it is a shame that Roger Moore will be remembered as James Bond.

I thought Moore was just wonderful as The Saint. He was the perfect actor to play Simon Templar but was miscast as James Bond.

I have to agree. He did a great job as both Bond and The Saint, but I much preferred him as Simon Templar. And I'll always remember that Volvo P1800 that he drove. RIP Roger.

Last edited by: cerveloguy: May 23, 17 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Live and Let Die and The Spy Who Loved Me were certainly his best.

Anyone remember Ffolkes? He kills Anthony Perkins with a spear gun.

Couple years ago at a silent auction I won a framed print with all 7 movie Bonds autographed.

I respectfully disagree. For Your Eyes Only was clearly out in front. Ski chase scene - check. Climbing - check. Hot, young ice skating queen who you know was a hell of a romp - check.

RIP
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Moonraker was the first Bond movie I ever saw.

My dad was the production and location manager for the Italy crew for Moonraker. Most of the space stuff was filmed a mile away from my home in the studios of Boulogne-Billancourt, and some a bit farther in Epinay. He passed away nearly 3 years ago, so reading this today brought back some memories. He took us for 2 months in Italy (Lido, right next to Venice) and we got to meet most of the actors. Pretty memorable when you meet James Bond and you're 8.

But, yes, it was otherwise a pretty dreadful Bond movie.
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Post deleted by NedRise [ In reply to ]
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did I. But I was a kid, it was James Bond, and anything my dad did was awesome ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was obviously a legend in Nigeria too..

http://dailypost.ng/...tor-james-bond-dead/
Quote Reply
Re: RIP Sir Roger Moore [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.independent.co.uk/...nature-a7752636.html

Great little story about Mr Moore
Quote Reply