Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Favorite Michigan Races?
Quote | Reply
I wanted to see if anyone else out there would be doing tris in Michigan, and what ones everyone like and why, etc...

Here's my list of favorites:

Tri Greenville - June 3rd, Greenville, MI. This was the first tri I ever did, and it's been one of my annual favorites. It's a sprint (400yards, 11.8mi, 5K), but has one of the best transitions I've seen. It's focused on a small lake, offering a warm swim with a fast run course around it. Highly recommend.

WolverineMan - August 5th, Gregory, MI (Near AA). Tough run course on a hilly, rocky trail. This was my first race with a trail run, and I was not ready. It's technically a sprint (800yd, 14mi, 5mi) but that last leg will wear you down. It's a decent bike course that features rolling hills and finishes with a busy transition area.

Ludington Lighthouse - August 20th, Ludington, MI. I love this course. They offer a sprint and olympic that feature long stretches of Lake Michigan. The bike, I thought, was tremendous fun. You ride out into a stiff headwind, but when you turn around, you're averaging 30 mph+. Seriously. Yes it's a 3Disciplines race, but I think the course alone was worth it.

I know I've left out some big races (ie. Grand Rapids), but what are everyone else's favorites in the Mitten?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Michigan Races? [ProfessorB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had many, many tris I enjoyed through the years living there. My first (Hubbard Lake Triathlon) was my first tri ever, so that holds a special place especially as it is about 10 miles from my hometown. I really enjoyed a tiny Upper Peninsula race called "Copperman" in the fall which was stunning scenery and the run was on trails/dirt road that was winding upward before the turn around. Mark Mellon Triathlon was really awesome. But there was one in Grand Rapids I won one time back around '92 or '93, I forget the name of it--but it was like the largest race I had ever won at the time (500+)--it was super cool because nobody knew me & I sure as hell didn't expect to come across in first. There are so many nice races with that small town feel by local organizations & the scenery is typically pretty nice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm partial to the Petoskey triathlon as it was my first and it's also my favorite place to visit.

I have yet to race Greenville but it's 15 minutes from my house and I know quite a few people who use it as a tune up for GR.

Speaking of GR, that's probably my favorite "big" race in the area (big for something that's not Ironman branded).

Tri del Sol is a fun race and I like that it benefits the camp I went to as a kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to beat Steelhaed. Tom Z. does a great job and the location on the beach in St. Joe is outstanding.

I was a fan of Johan's Trifest, but like many of the old races, it isn't around any more.

The race Rocky is referring to is Reed's Lake, it was my first. It's still around and they do a good job with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Michigan Races? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's it! Reed's Lake! Thanks Thom...see what happens when you get old...memory goes. You keep racing--know it hurts, but forget how much each time, because your memory is gone! Viscious circle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Battle of Waterloo.

Not a traditional triathlon but probably the most fun I have had at a race in recent history.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Michigan Races? [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
Battle of Waterloo.

This. Awesome race. Not to be missed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come up north and check out the Boyne City Triathlon on labor day weekend. One of the best races I've attended for both venue, organization and perks.

Ben McMurray
Northern Michigan Small Farm Venture ---> http://facebook.com/hillvalleymi [/size]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start the season with small local-well-attended race up in East Jordan. 500y/20/3.3. The outright best 20mi bike route in the state! Finished in time for breakfast.
Local volunteers take your bike, have your shoes (and a chair!) for you personally. Entire race is fun throwback to the early days of tri.
All proceeds go to East Jordan Ambulance service.

Harbor Springs has terrific small race too. Lotta the same people who show up for EJ. Harbor Springs also another great bike route, and a flat, but very pretty lake shore run.

3Disciplines makes it convenient to race all summer long. I'm partial to Ludington, and love to finish season with Tawas - Sprint/Olympic/1/2.

To me, Tawas always gets the nod over Steelhead, cuz Kenny (RD) is not going to cancel the swim. Steelhead seems to cancel swim if there is any reason whatsoever to do so. Gives me the feeling that director is more afraid of his insurance company than putting on a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Michigan Races? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BIKE3 wrote:

To me, Tawas always gets the nod over Steelhead, cuz Kenny (RD) is not going to cancel the swim. Steelhead seems to cancel swim if there is any reason whatsoever to do so. Gives me the feeling that director is more afraid of his insurance company than putting on a race.

Kenny cancelled as many swims last season as Steelhead has in it's history.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Michigan Races? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Had many, many tris I enjoyed through the years living there. My first (Hubbard Lake Triathlon) was my first tri ever, so that holds a special place especially as it is about 10 miles from my hometown. I really enjoyed a tiny Upper Peninsula race called "Copperman" in the fall which was stunning scenery and the run was on trails/dirt road that was winding upward before the turn around. Mark Mellon Triathlon was really awesome. But there was one in Grand Rapids I won one time back around '92 or '93, I forget the name of it--but it was like the largest race I had ever won at the time (500+)--it was super cool because nobody knew me & I sure as hell didn't expect to come across in first. There are so many nice races with that small town feel by local organizations & the scenery is typically pretty nice.
Was going to suggest Copperman as that's one of the most memorable races I've done. Low key, grass roots feel. Just fun to be out there.Distance is short of an Olympic though they just call it a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Michigan Races? [BIKE3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the name of the East Jordan race? I'm headed up to Petoskey and was going to ride part of the MMM course and I believe it goes out that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Michigan Races? [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
East Jordan Triathlon. Pretty low key and grassroots race. Always a good one when I've raced it in the past. Last year they had the Middaugh brothers in town for it since they're originally from EJ. For your ride from petoskey ride toward charlevoix on the path, head south on horton bay road or pincherry if you like. Head into boyne city and out to the ferry or turn at penninsula and head towards east jordan. Head back on bc/advance rd. That loop is the tri bike route for both the ej and boyne city tri and part of the mmm.

Ben McMurray
Northern Michigan Small Farm Venture ---> http://facebook.com/hillvalleymi [/size]

Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Michigan Races? [ProfessorB] is a Big [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hawk Island Triathlon in Lansing next weekend is the start of summer for me - our local world champs and my barometer for where my fitness is. My team also puts on a kids race there on Saturday the 3rd. The run course is my favorite ever for a fast 5k.

Brother in law lives up north and loves the East Jordan race. I miss the Barefoot Tri up there.

For 3D races I've enjoyed Ludington, Cadillac and Inter Rockin.

Truly, so much of my summer racing is based around the family schedule that I try new ones every year. To some degree any race is a good one, even if there's something I don't like (biking Island Lake, etc.).

Hoping to do one of the Belle Isle races this year or next.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Little Traverse Tri in Harbor Springs, and Jordan Valley tri are worth a look. They offer a nice small town atmosphere and are locally sponsored.

I'll second the recommendation on the Boyle City tri on Labor Day weekend. It's one of our best events in northern Michigan.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grand Haven Tri in early July is fine. Swim has been very (i.e., extremely!) cold the past couple years. I don't like the 1/2 mile or so run from the beach to the transition area, but the bike course is good. Small-ish race and nice atmosphere in a small town. Can be a destination race that combines nicely with a family vacation to the region.
Quote Reply