Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sell my soul or dream job [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw you asked for more PTO.....can you even spare the time to take vacation even? What good is it if you can't use it?

I am in a similar situation to you (about hating my job) in that I transferred positions temporarily in my company from my original job to my current "temporary" position. "Temporary" went from a 6 month support assignment to 2 years this month so far. Sent to help out our Project Manager team as they were (still are) short people).

I moved offices across town so my commute doubled most days (tripled on bad weather days) time wise (distance wise it is not proportionate). Work much longer hours....before I'd be working 40 hours on the nose 8 out of 10 weeks (with occasional travel). Now, consistently work 45-50 hours weeks (more at times) and even on my days off/vacation gotta be on call/answer emails (got guys on site for installations). It sucks to realize that I've been spending nearly 12 hour spans gone for work (combined commute and at the office time) at least 1x or more per week on a consistent basis. Don't travel as much which is nice but it's not like I lived on a plane before.

They wanted me to stay here and I flat out told my direct temp manager unless they give me significantly more than 10% it is not going to happen (can't buy time which is what I am losing more of these days). They wouldn't pay me so I pushed back more aggressively to go back to my original position. So now after 2 years I'm finally going to transition to my original position again over the next few months. Eventually will transfer my projects out here to other PM's once they hire more people (still trying to hire but the HR screening process for interviews baffles everyone who isn't upper management at my company). Got a couple that still have quite a bit of work to perform for the next year or two.

I do have a kid and won't take a large pay cut for his stake (wife is working part time so she can stay at home). But, I won't slave myself away as I'm finding myself more angry outside of work and it is starting to affect my personal life way too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to agree with a number of others in this thread and say: pick neither.

Find a better job in your field, with a better culture, and more support. Or go back to school for a different career while you're still young and don't presumably yet have kids.

But the key here is to have both a career and do something that you enjoy doing. It may take a while, and you may have to shop around for a bit while you find it, but there are jobs out there that offer both career progression and quality of life.
Quote Reply
Re: Sell my soul or dream job [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Preach brother.

Between vendors, customers and my own staff, when I get home I just want to sit and try to decompress before I have to do it all over again the next day.

My wife works a job where she might talk to someone all day, so when I get home, she is ready to chat.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
that is where i'd start...

Fat bikes are the wave of the future man....
At Outerbike 27.5+ seemed to be the rage.
One scary thing with retail is getting stuck with inventory.

I quit a very good paying job to start a business. I regret it immensely.

One huge mistake I made was not adjusting my standard of living when I started it.

Being an employee at an lbs probably will not afford you the opportunity to retire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're this unhappy and you have a chance to walk away I'd take it. You can always get back into a higher paying job after a year at the bike shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Google something like 'how long to quit after accepting a counter offer'. Most people will still leave shortly after accepting the counteroffer. Because the counteroffer doesn't cover the things that made you want to leave in the first place.

Is your current dislike of your job just money? If not, how does money solve those issues?

In your head you have already quit, now you are just looking for the right spot to land. If the bike shop is it, then go there.

I may have a little more experience than many when it comes to major career changes.

In the mid 90's I was a practicing lawyer. The stress was literally making me contemplate taking a header off the roof. So I went back to school and got a degree in computer development. I decided at 32 I was too young to do a job that I hated for another 30 years. Never regretted it for a second.

I was at the job I got from that for just short of 18 years. At one point in there I had been with the same area for 10 years. I got another offer within the company for a promotion, my old area offered me the same money but no promotion. I went through all of the things you are, and figured out it wasn't about the money and took the first offer.

After another 6+ years I found myself bored to tears. My job was easy and it paid pretty well. But there was no challenge and nothing to keep me interested. Each day felt like it lasted a lifetime. I could switch areas again, but the same problems would follow me.

So I did it again. My brother had been trying to get me to join his law practice for more than 5 years. I never took him very seriously and I was comfortable making good money and not working very hard. I decided that at 50 I was too young to go into retirement mode and just plow through another 10 - 12 years doing a job that made me want to cry from the monotony. Which means of course that I am a lawyer again. I haven't wanted to defenestrate myself yet and I am certainly not bored.

Go for it. What's the absolute worst that could happen? You need to get a different job.

Hell, even if it went completely tits up, with a little preplanning, even going bankrupt isn't that bad. You could end up being president someday.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I left pharma sales to coach full time. Do I regret it? Not a bit. Do I miss the $1000/wk pay cut I took leaving pharma? Every single day.

I traded a job I like to be able to do something I really enjoy...most days.

I've said no to Amgen offers 2x different times and a medical device company. Both of those jobs were going to more than make up that $1100/wk. The device job would have more than doubled that $1100/wk base + target bonus.

That being said for the last 5-6 years I was in pharma I banked 30% of my gross pay by maxing my 401k then dumping the rest in savings & the market.

If you do it I'd encourage you to live below your means, be value oriented but not afraid to splurge on those bad values now & then. If you're going to be pinching pennies I'd encourage you to take your company's offer then start looking for a new job in that field or a field that pays well
& you enjoy after a few months. In the meantime I'd shovel as much as possible into my 401k/Roth IRA, the stock market and savings

I'd encourage you to start developing an exit strategy now for 10 years down the road. I didn't really have a strategy in place but I knew I was burning out in pharma sales and didn't know what was next.

Would I do it all over again? Fuck yeah I would. Could I have done this at 30, 35 or even 40? Nope.

As someone else mentioned, I traded money for time, less stress and a much higher quality of life. I've been able to hang out with my Dad and my Poppop (RIP) more in the last 4 years than the previous 10.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next