Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BTA refilling at aid stations
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of switching from just a regular water bottle BTA to the X-lab Torpedo. I usually take 2 gatorades at aid stations along the course of a half ironman. I'm wondering how difficult is it to squirt this into the bottle. The gatorade endurance has a weird twist nozzle. Or do you open it right up and pour it in? I want to use the black quick refill piece on the x-lab.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA refilling at aid stations [endurance1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got one, it's really easy to refill w/ the black lid. Just push it in and squeeze. The twist to open lids are actually easier than the pull to open lids since they don't close when you push them in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the xlab torpedo and refilled it along the way during an IM. I used the clear solid cap though, not the black slotted one meant for refilling. I just popped the solid cap off, squirted the aid station hand-up into it, tossed the now empty bottle, and then put the solid cap back on. I had less splash that way than if I used the actual slotted top. The slotted top also was a pain when my bike was racked, as it would drizzle whatever sticky liquid i was carrying because of the angle of the bike.

However, I now just stick to hand-up bottles and a regular cage. I've tried too many front systems. I always come back to the basic bottle in a basic cage, zip tied between the aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the black lid is easy enough to squirt in more liquid. And for me it does not splash hardly at all in training or racing. As previous poster mentioned, it can leak depending on how full it is and how high the bike racks are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously. Easier is better. Just stick with the cage bta, throw away empty bottle and replace with full bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA refilling at aid stations [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^^ this...throw, grab stow and go..simple
Quote Reply
Re: BTA refilling at aid stations [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find that I come out of aero a little when drinking. Also, I had trouble in my last IM with water bottles not fitting into cage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have gone back and forth between using on course bottles and refilling my own bottles (e.g., BTA). I have had some issues refilling. For example, in one race at one aid station, the workers decided to just cut a slit in the inner seal rather than remove it. That gave a good enough stream for drinking, but not for quick refills. Obviously, this is not an issue if the Gatorade bottles come with plastic sleeves holding the top closed and in place rather than seals under the top. The other issue I have had (call me a klutz), is figuring how hard to turn the top to get it all the way open. Not enough and you cannot get the stream to flow fast enough. Too much and you actually start unscrewing the cap and Gatorade goes everywhere when you turn the bottle upside down and squeeze. So I went with on course bottles after that. In my last race, I went back to refilling. I used the sealed top to my BTA and took that top off and the Gatorade top off and just poured it in. It went very fast. I attached the BTA top to the BTA with fish line so I wouldn't loose it. Worked like a charm, but the next day my fish line had become disconnected -- obviously not over-engineered -- it worked for the exact number of refills required. YMMV! I think someone now has a top that opens on a hinge so no need for the fish line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What bottles does everyone start with that they just throw and replace? do you start with a plastic sport bottle like what is offered on course or just a bottle you do not care about?
Quote Reply
Re: BTA refilling at aid stations [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bottle I don't care about..usually one i buy for a couple bucks from the local bike shop or something along those lines
Quote Reply
Re: BTA refilling at aid stations [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exige wrote:
What bottles does everyone start with that they just throw and replace? do you start with a plastic sport bottle like what is offered on course or just a bottle you do not care about?

Regular gatorade or similar disposable, the kind of plastic drink that you get at the local gas station.

When I did my first HIM, I was wondering why all these stud cyclists on $10k+ superbikes with Di2 and carbon everything had a $2 gatorade bottle in their downtube bottle holder. Now I know - that bottle's gonna get discarded at an aid station and replaced with the aid station bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA refilling at aid stations [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know thanks I usually rock my insulated camelback one and just fill my frame (shiv) but would be better to leave the frame empty and just bottle swap
Quote Reply