Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hoka Challenger ATR Trail Shoes
Quote | Reply
I have both the Clifton 2 (pavement) and the Challenger ATR 3 (trail). From my understanding, these two shoes are constructed quite similarly, but lately I have found myself enjoying the Challenger ATR 3 more and more, even on the the pavement. So I got a few questions for the Hoka experts here:

1. What the difference in these two shoes other than the obvious tread pattern of the soles?

2. Does running pavement with the Challenger have any negative impact?

3. How would the Challengers fare for the long term - shorter or longer life than the Clifton?
Last edited by: dalava: May 22, 17 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Trail Shoes [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CLIFTON and Challenger are the similar 2 shoes int he Hoka line. I believe they are the same shoe except for the nubs/ re-enforced bottom for the ATRs. Though I will say the ATR 3s and the Clifton 3s do fit a bit different for me in the forefoot. I have no issue with my standard 9.5 in the Clifton 3, but same size in ATR3 there is much more squeeze, thus I sized up to a 10.0.

The Clifton 1 and ATR1 were the same shoe, save the nubs on the Challengers. I still have one Clifton 1 and ATR 1 I may save or Ebay. I'm more partial to the 3s now, even if they are 3-4 ounces heavier.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Trail Shoes [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
I have both the Clayton 2 (pavement) and the Challenger ATR 3 (trail). From my understanding, these two shoes are constructed quite similarly, but lately I have found myself enjoying the Challenger ATR 3 more and more, even on the the pavement. So I got a few questions for the Hoka experts here:

1. What the difference in these two shoes other than the obvious tread pattern of the soles?

2. Does running pavement with the Challenger have any negative impact?

3. How would the Challengers fare for the long term - shorter or longer life than the Clayton?

Isn't the Challenger ATR more or less a trail version of the Clifton? Why not try the Clifton for the road. I don't think running on the road in the ATR would have any negative impact other than the treads wearing out faster, the ride will probably be a little smoother in a road shoe though.
Quote Reply
Re: Hoka Trail Shoes [iruntrails] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I meant Clifton 2 is what I have. I corrected in the OP.
Quote Reply