Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by NedRise [ In reply to ]
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Can you explain how the school choice works then since my understanding is you pick the school you want to go to get in the lottery and if picked get to go

The charter schools work on a lottery, but many of the surrounding schools are open to SOC students. It's mostly those with access to transportation that are fleeing the city school.

I was really looking more for insight than a debate. I have only a fuzzy understanding of the system and since my son is grow, I don't have a passionate opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

School Vouchers and segregation.

I share a home town with the Secretary of Education. As a believer in the free market, I like the idea of School-Of-Choice but seeing what it has done to our community, I have reservations. It feels like we are on a path that will eventually lead back to mandatory desegregation.

What are your thoughts? Do we allow parents to pick the school system for their kids or do we strive to bring all schools up to a standard?

-
The article is decrying the reduction in diversity, but does not include anything about the education the kids are getting. Other factors that may have caused or contributed to the segregation. At any rate, has this "white flight" been accompanied by worsening performance by minority kids? The black community are generally pretty big supporters of school choice (as I would be if I had a kid I cared about being forced to attend a failing school). Obama was a big supporter of choice before he moved to DC and teacher union support became too important. I read this piece yesterday:
https://www.usatoday.com/...on-column/101743268/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by MOP_Mike [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: May 22, 17 14:32
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well thats a cheery thought. I guess now we can start talking about the guaranteed minimum wage.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Post deleted by NedRise [ In reply to ]
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's bad. Our public charter school middle schoolers are making fidget spinners with their 3D printer. And selling them for $15 to raise funds for some project.

I like how they can divert to a trend and turn it into learning.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: May 22, 17 15:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Can you explain how the school choice works then since my understanding is you pick the school you want to go to get in the lottery and if picked get to go

It depends on the state right now. Mass is first come first serve.

But for public charter schools, it either first come first served or a lottery depending on how in demand the school is.
Quote Reply
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Thom wrote:

School Vouchers and segregation.

I share a home town with the Secretary of Education. As a believer in the free market, I like the idea of School-Of-Choice but seeing what it has done to our community, I have reservations. It feels like we are on a path that will eventually lead back to mandatory desegregation.

What are your thoughts? Do we allow parents to pick the school system for their kids or do we strive to bring all schools up to a standard?

-
The article is decrying the reduction in diversity, but does not include anything about the education the kids are getting. Other factors that may have caused or contributed to the segregation. At any rate, has this "white flight" been accompanied by worsening performance by minority kids? The black community are generally pretty big supporters of school choice (as I would be if I had a kid I cared about being forced to attend a failing school). Obama was a big supporter of choice before he moved to DC and teacher union support became too important. I read this piece yesterday:
https://www.usatoday.com/...on-column/101743268/

The bigger correlation should be Detroit. It's the platonic ideal of Betsy's program. DPS is hugely black, IIRC over 90%. They got vouchers that DeVos lobbied for. What happens? A mass exodus from DPS. So now there are schools with 2, 3, 4 kids per class - schools are closed and consolidated.
Where did the other kids go to? Mostly for-profit charters that popped up across the city now that no government agency has to oversee them anymore. Seems to be great, for-profits making money etc. But then during the school year, these charters start to close, taking the money and running.
What happens next? Should the kids go back to DPS? Too bad, they can't cause all the schools are closed and full. So now you have kids who can't go to school, and fly-by-night companies that got rich off them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a former teacher, I agree. It makes as much sense as having the 5 minute milers and the 10 minute milers train together at track practice.

Quote:
one of the problems with public school these days is that dumb kids with bad parents are taught in the same classroom with the same teacher, same curriculum, same material and same resources as smart kids with good parents.

Neither the smart kids or dumb kids are well served by this.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

Are you seriously trying to ignore location/transportation factors on purpose, or am I falling for a stupid troll?

We've got a handful of public charter schools in our town; both my kids went to one. Which one? The one that was closest to where we already lived. Most of the other families there were affluent as well, I'd say on avg even more so that we were/are, in fact (some vastly so). Hardly any came from way the hell across town, even though they were just as 'welcome' (via lottery) in as any other kid anywhere in the district.

A voucher may make a school affordable, but it won't buy you a 26-hour day if said school is located over an hour from where you can afford to live.
Quote Reply
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My daughter at Lehigh just finished her first CS course there (having APed out of the first two courses). Her final project was challenging and not amenable to Googling for solutions. It required her to determine algorithms and appropriate data structures to accomplish the given task, using instructor-provided Java classes to do unrelated tasks. A properly designed assignment should not be solvable by looking it up.

(for what it is worth, I've been writing software professionally for 37 years next month; my wife teaches AP CS at a local high school.)

We are no closer to computers writing code (there was a program in the 80s called The Last One or something like that (version 1.0 :-) that was supposed to do that) than we've ever been. We still write code, but at a higher level so that software can do the mundane tasks (and who do you think writes that software?). Pretty sure I'll never have to implement a B-tree again, but I'm still writing Java and Python and using other config/scripting languages.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Engineers! I mean Brown and White! I mean Mountain Hawks!
Quote Reply
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Go Engineers! I mean Brown and White! I mean Mountain Hawks!

Hawkineers!

Funny that Lehigh's best sport is wrestling, and I'm a Cornell graduate who follows Cornell wrestling. Lehigh wrestling fans have a serious chip on their collective shoulders regarding Cornell.

For my birthday last week, daughter got me a Lehigh wrestling shirt, and the wife got me a Cornell wrestling shirt.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For my birthday last week, daughter got me a Lehigh wrestling shirt, and the wife got me a Cornell wrestling shirt.

A friend of mine did her undergrad at OU and graduate work at U of M. She bought 2 sweatshirts and cut them down the middle and sewed them back together half and half, one for her mother and one for herself.

My freshman year roommate was a wrestler.
Quote Reply
Re: Betsy and School of Choice [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
windywave wrote:

Are you seriously trying to ignore location/transportation factors on purpose, or am I falling for a stupid troll?

We've got a handful of public charter schools in our town; both my kids went to one. Which one? The one that was closest to where we already lived. Most of the other families there were affluent as well, I'd say on avg even more so that we were/are, in fact (some vastly so). Hardly any came from way the hell across town, even though they were just as 'welcome' (via lottery) in as any other kid anywhere in the district.

A voucher may make a school affordable, but it won't buy you a 26-hour day if said school is located over an hour from where you can afford to live.

I'm not ignoring it but there are poor white people and middle and upper class minorities. It's not enforced segregation as the article seems to imply.

I grant I may not be following how school choice works there but I don't think it is nefarious. The limited school choice in Chicago benefits minority kids which is probably why I see a disconnect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
It would help if you could describe what'l it's done to your community.

Quote:
Do we allow parents to pick the school system for their kids or do we strive to bring all schools up to a standard?

Both. And it would be much easier to achieve if the fucking teachers' unions would stop fighting both every step of the way.

Not being able to fire bad teachers is a problem. Teachers unions are a part of that problem.

There are 28 right to work (weak union laws) states. Those 28 states make up 8 of the 10 worst performing states in education. The 22 states that are not right to work (stronger Unions) make up 8 of the 10 BEST performing states in education. It is worth contemplating that....
Quote Reply

Prev Next