Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents
Quote | Reply
I know that this crap goes on everywhere and is nothing new, but has anybody noticed a recent sudden increase in incidents between car drivers and cyclists in their area?

In the past 2 weeks there has been a rash of incidents in my state.

a pellet gun assault during a ride, cyclist was able to get license plate, driver/shooter was arrested and apparently had been shooting runners also
a pellet gun assault during a century event, not sure if suspect was identified or if any arrests were made
a harassment/threat made during a charity ride, caught on camera, arrests were made
cyclist hit with trash thrown from car on purpose
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes bullies and degenerates are emboldened.

I live in SW Ohio and for the most part people are careful and considerate. I have had a water bottle thrown at me though, which had never happened in Cal.

It's generally dumb kids.
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [clutchy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...or maybe the culprit is the dumber cyclist who doesn't know the meaning of stop signs and redlights???
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [pinoyako] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pinoyako wrote:
...or maybe the culprit is the dumber cyclist who doesn't know the meaning of stop signs and redlights???

it's an important point. the traffic code of 30+ states call for citizens who witness traffic violations to shoot the violators with pellet guns.
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and sometimes paintball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pinoyako wrote:

Why don't motorist throw bottles and shoot pellet guns at other motorist when THEY run stop sings and lights?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am waiting for a cyclist to pull a gun and let loose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ì the UK Ì have had a bottle thrown from a car while running and a stale donut when cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
pinoyako wrote:

it's an important point. the traffic code of 30+ states call for citizens who witness traffic violations to shoot the violators with pellet guns.

Whataboutism. That logical fallacy needs to die already. Justifying horrible behavior by pointing out someone else's bad behavior. What's next? Shooting people that say meanie things? Oh yeah. That too happens.

Anyway didn't notice an increase in rage against cyclists. It is same as before. Everything is just fine 99.9% of time, and then there's an occasional asshole or a kid without a clue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see these incidents prosecuted as the hate crimes they clearly are.
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [boing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:
Ì the UK Ì have had a bottle thrown from a car while running and a stale donut when cycling.

And you know it was stale cause you caught it in your mouth?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:

Did you eat the donut? Because I probably would have.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pinoyako wrote:

Why is there one of these people on every cycling related forum?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of rednecks in Mississippi
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm probably a redneck according to many of the people here, but that doesn't make me someone who wishes to inflict harm on people that do things I don't like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a truck of teeny-boppers or early college kids pull up behind me while on a run about 25+ years ago & dump an entire Mtn. Dew BIG GULP on top of me. Good thing it was bloody hot out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boing wrote:

You got a stale donut! I used to dream about getting a stale donut thrown at me. Here in Southern Oregon all I ever get is a lump of dry poison.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
Why don't motorist throw bottles and shoot pellet guns at other motorist when THEY run stop sings and lights?

Because to most people a car is subjectively more valuable than another human beings life.
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
squid wrote:

Because to most people a car is subjectively more valuable than another human beings life.

While I think there's some truth to that, I believe it's primarily that motorists identify more with other motorists. The old in group/out group phenomenon.
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [alathIN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alathIN wrote:
pinoyako wrote:

Why is there one of these people on every cycling related forum?

I have to assume he/she was trying to be sarcastic.

No one could actually be silly enough to believe one should get shot by a pellet gun for running a stop sign.
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
boing wrote:

Did you eat the donut? Because I probably would have.

How would you know if it was stale unless you took a bite?
Quote Reply
Re: Pellet gun assaults and other various incidents [michael_runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael_runs wrote:
Lots of rednecks in Mississippi
ya think?
https://apnews.com/...calling-for-lynching

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply