Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

R2R2R Report
Quote | Reply
Some notes from my run on 5/16. 45 miles in 13:12. Down South Kaibab, up North Kaibab, Down North Kaibab, up Bright Angel. 6:10 across. 23 minute rest at North Rim. 6:48 back across.

Bright Angel campground (7) in 1:45
Cottonwood campground (14.8) in 3:30
Leave Manzanita (16.2) @4:10
North rim (21.x) in 6:10
Leave North rim @ 6:23
Walk in to Phantom (35) at 9:45
Leave cottonwood campground (35.4) at 10:00
1.5 mile rest house (43.4) at 12:35
South rim (45)by 13:12
4200 calories consumed
10000 calories burned
Brought in pack:
1800 calories of efs (stopped using at North rim)
6 liquid shots (400 cal each) only ate 4
4 stinger waffles
4 clif bars- only at 2
Lots of salt stick pills
10x 200mg ibuprofen (took 8) for altitude sickness
Drop bag at phantom ( 1 liquid shot, 1 clif bar, 1 bag of efs, extra socks) didn't need/use it. Animal found it and ate half of it anyway.
Temp: 37 at start on south Rim
100 at Phantom at 2:00pm
Training:
worked way up to 60 miles/week
1 long run a week
3 longest runs at 20 (2 trail, 1 road)
Crowders mtn run 2x (16.5, 20 miler)
Ran everyday for durability
Did big sets (50-100 reps) of body weight lunges, squats, step ups for strength.
Myrtl routine for hip girdle stability and glute strength
Training mistakes:
- needed more consistent strength training for legs. 2-3x a week for months
- Needed to train more eccentric loading on quads. Needed to do that 2-3x a week for months along with running.
-More consistent hip girdle/glute training (Myrtl routine)
Gear:
Altra Olympus shoes
Altra gaitors
Sls3 compression socks
Compression spandex shorts
Old Nike running shorts with good pockets
Dri fit tshirt
Arm warmers
Long sleeve t
Toboggan
Visor
Sunglasses
Buff bandana
Gloves
Ear buds w music downloaded onto phone

Added:
180 lbs at start
2 liter bladder/ 24 ounce bottle
10 day taper/ last long run 17 days out
No speed training
Garmin 305 w/ HR monitor
Quote Reply
Re: R2R2R Report [PBFLRacing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats! based on your notes, I'm assuming you were trying to do it as quick as possible?

We did it last year, but were out just to do it and enjoy the canyon. Just did the Zion Traverse a couple weeks ago with the same group of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats, R2R2R is definitely on the bucket list
Quote Reply
Re: R2R2R Report [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, in general, I was trying to put up a decent time. But still trying to enjoy myself. 15 of us in the group. 12 doing R2R2R, 3 R2R.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBFLRacing wrote:
Yes, in general, I was trying to put up a decent time. But still trying to enjoy myself. 15 of us in the group. 12 doing R2R2R, 3 R2R.

Were the water sources available all along the way? I did R2R2R in October 2015 and it was so nice having the fresh source of water to constantly refill our packs. I took a filter, just in case, but never needed it.

Did you run into many other people on the trail once you were past Phantom Ranch?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job!

I just did a R2R2R attempt with my GF on Saturday. Perfect conditions, but she was struggling with allergies and just felt weak, so we decided to pull the plug at the top of Fake Hill by Ribbon Falls. Turned around and headed back up Bright Angel. Still got in about 29-30 miles, but not what we went there for. I think it took us a little less than 11 hours, about 9 moving.

All of the water was on heading up Bright Angel and also at the Kaibab / Bright Angel split by the river. I didn't need to use my filter. Temps only got up into the mid-80s in the Box and we only needed long sleeves / gloves at the top before the start. I was surprised at how many restrooms were available along the way.

I carried way too much stuff, not knowing what services would be available and how long we would be out there. Took a tri pack and I think I hauled around at least twice as much stuff than I actually consumed. My shoulders were the only thing that was really bothering me towards the end, but we were going pretty slow up Bright Angel. It took forever to get to the top! If I go again when the services are on, I'll just take a running pack and two handhelds. Probably won't stop to take as many photos, either.

I'd like to go back sometime soon and go for a time, now that I know what to expect (and I'm trained up for it), but it looks like the window has closed, weather wise, until October.
Quote Reply
Re: R2R2R Report [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost all water sources were open except Supai Tunnel water. So Bright angel campground, Phantom, Cottonwood campground, Manzanita, North Rim, Indian Garden Camp ground, 3 mile pump house, 1.5 mile pump house all had water.
There were 12 of us attempting R2R2R in my group. We were all at different levels so we were spread out along the trail in groups of 2 or 3. I also saw another group of 4 doing it together. I didn't see many people between Phantom and Cottonwood (along the bottom). I did see a good number of people coming down from the North Rim. Saw one couple running from the North rim to Phantom and back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your gear list has a "toboggan". Can you explain?
Quote Reply
Re: R2R2R Report [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry that is a southern term for a winter hat. New England they say beanie? Here in NC they are toboggans.
It was 37 degrees on the South rim when we started and I wanted to stay warm. But we dropped in so fast, and got to lower elevation so fast, I didn't need it after an hour or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBFLRacing wrote:
Sorry that is a southern term for a winter hat. New England they say beanie? Here in NC they are toboggans.
It was 37 degrees on the South rim when we started and I wanted to stay warm. But we dropped in so fast, and got to lower elevation so fast, I didn't need it after an hour or so.

Huh, that's interesting. Here in the cold North (Canada) we call them tuques
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PBFLRacing wrote:
Almost all water sources were open except Supai Tunnel water. So Bright angel campground, Phantom, Cottonwood campground, Manzanita, North Rim, Indian Garden Camp ground, 3 mile pump house, 1.5 mile pump house all had water.
There were 12 of us attempting R2R2R in my group. We were all at different levels so we were spread out along the trail in groups of 2 or 3. I also saw another group of 4 doing it together. I didn't see many people between Phantom and Cottonwood (along the bottom). I did see a good number of people coming down from the North Rim. Saw one couple running from the North rim to Phantom and back.

That is awesome. I cannot wait to go back and do it again. I have done a lot of IMs and a few ultramarathons but R2R2R was, by far, the most fun adventure I have ever had.
Quote Reply