Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recovery from a week in the mountains (cycling)
Quote | Reply
I have spent the last week in Spain, riding around 500 miles with about 55k of climbing., this was done mostly at endurance efforts apart from a few threshold/sweetspot intervals on some of the hills. I have a power meter and all my activities are in trainingpeaks. For those that use it, my PMC showed a peak TSB of -80, currently -55.

2 weeks before I did a week in Majorca but less miles and climbing. Before this, my bike has been fairly consistent even with having to drop running and swimming to some degree. Biking around 8-10 hours per week at some good intensity mostly.

My last ride in Spain was Saturday, it was a fairly gentle ride with 1 single 30 second effort on a very steep hill.

Yesterday I did an easy 30 minute spin.

My question is when should I start to think about getting back to normal training?

Generally, I feel okay. The legs are a little sore, but no massive amount of fatigue that I am aware of. Nothing that is really indicating that I should be either; a) taking time off the bike completely, or b) doing lots of recovery rides.

I have read various articles online and some go as far as waiting until all fatigue is gone (positive TSB).

I want to go out on the club chain gang tomorrow, and the club TTT wednesday, and the club session Friday, and the........

I was thinking of doing an hour easy (recovery effort) tonight. Tomorrow would be an outdoor ride with a few hills in with a view of then doing the TTT on wednesday and monitoring things. If the legs feel sore, flat, HR high, RPE high, etc and I would bin it.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from a week in the mountains (cycling) [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the Georgia mountains for a week where I rode about 300 miles with about 30,000 feet of climbing.

While I was back to training a few days later I wasn't back to 100% for nearly 2 weeks.

You did a bit more that I did, I'm almost 50 and may recover a bit slower than you.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from a week in the mountains (cycling) [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you know you were not at 100%?

Generally, I seem to have a fairly decent recovery rate. The camp itself was 100% about the training (and recovery from) with proper nutrition, daily massages and doing nothing but resting/eating after riding, until the next. I also made sure I stretched and used foam roller on top of the massage, so never felt beaten up.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Recovery from a week in the mountains (cycling) [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't do my threshold intervals as planned. I was about 20% off.

In addition to riding I also ran about 30 miles and swam 4 times during that week so that may have contributed to my fatigue as well.

jaretj
Quote Reply