Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I sleep just fine...
Quote | Reply
I do! But is it excessive??

How long do you sleep? And how is the quality?

I sleep long and deep. As in dead deep. I wake up and I had forgotten that I was ever alive. My new Fenix 5 (4 weeks old) tells me my average is 9 hours +.

Husband (of 22 years) on the other hand, is <8 and wakes up frequently. He has a physical job and is primarily a cyclist but will ocassionally entertain me with a run.

We both live happily ever after... since this is ST and you are wondering.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by "forgotten I was ever alive"? Are you rested when you wake up? Ready to pop out of bed? Do you ever have a headache in the morning? Do you ever take naps?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLOgoing wrote:
I do! But is it excessive??

How long do you sleep? And how is the quality?

I usually sleep 5-6hrs and quality is okay, not great.
If you get 9hrs+ and it sounds like you sleep well and feel good, correct? What's to worry about?
You ask if it's excessive but what does that mean? Do you mean in terms of time efficiency, athletic performance, physical health, mental health, something else?
From a health and performance point of view, I don't think anyone would say 9hrs is excessive if that's what you feel you need and it leaves you in good shape. If it doesn't leave you enough time to live your life, work and train, then maybe a compromise is worth exploring. I doubt anyone else can tell you what YOU want.
Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
What do you mean by "forgotten I was ever alive"? Are you rested when you wake up? Ready to pop out of bed? Do you ever have a headache in the morning? Do you ever take naps?

Hmmm. Good questions. I sleep so deep that I really don't think I would ever know if I never woke up. I wake up and am like, "whoa! I forgot that I was alive!"

Very rested, but not leaping out of bed. No headache.

I never nap. I laid on my patio lounge yesterday and stared at the sky for 10 minutes. That was nice. But I was locked out of the house when husband went to the hardware store.

I'm just trying to figure if I'm just filling the space between night and morning with sleep or if I really need that much sleep.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need a lot of sleep. 7 hours for me is pushing it as far as the low end. I aim for 8-9 hours a night, but that is waking up several times a night. Often take a 20-30 minute nap during the day. I am worthless on anything less than 6 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a weird thing in our culture where people feel the need to prove how tough or ascetic or something they are by not sleeping. It sounds like your body does well on the amount of sleep that you get. Too much sleep can be a sign of depression or illness, but I don't get the impression that is what is happening. Also, the more active you are, the more recovery you need. So why worry about it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there dreaming involved? Remember, sleep is as important for the mind as well as the body. You may be physically recovered, but if you wake up just as scattered or anxious as when you went to bed, that doesn't really help much

I am a light sleeper by nature. I can be woken up by a misty rain on the window, the gentle click of a latch and the light squeak of a door being nudged open, muffled pawprints of a curious cat strolling across the carpet. But unless this happens, I go out quickly and dream deeply, often lucidly "Dude, don't panic. You didn't REALLY lose your car. Just wake up and you'll be fine"

D'Wife, on the other hand, has slept through an earthquake ... not once, but twice. She has also been known to sing, laugh, whistle, hum, and ever have arguments in her sleep. Still, she has warned me, in no uncertain terms: "I don't care what the fuck you do when you get up at 5 fucking whatever. Run, ride, knit, it doesn't matter. Just DON'T wake me the fuck up ... for ANY fucking reason!!!"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
happyscientist wrote:
There is a weird thing in our culture where people feel the need to prove how tough or ascetic or something they are by not sleeping.

I am often tempted to tell people who bragplain about their lack of sleep "You should consider a nap or some time off to balance your account in the Sleep Bank, unless you're always such an asshole, then it probably won't help"

happyscientist wrote:
Too much sleep can be a sign of depression or illness, but I don't get the impression that is what is happening. Also, the more active you are, the more recovery you need. So why worry about it?

Also, I've heard that insomnia can be a sign of over-training, ironically. I guess that although your body needs the downtime to recover, you're so jacked on endorphins that you can't sleep properly?

Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Is there dreaming involved?

D'Wife, on the other hand, has slept through an earthquake ... not once, but twice. She has also been known to sing, laugh, whistle, hum, and ever have arguments in her sleep. Still, she has warned me, in no uncertain terms: "I don't care what the fuck you do when you get up at 5 fucking whatever. Run, ride, knit, it doesn't matter. Just DON'T wake me the fuck up ... for ANY fucking reason!!!"

Rarely dreaming... my recurring dream is that I'm a passenger in a car, we are in the left lane of the 101 south near the 405 or we are in the carpool lane on the 405 (near the Getty) and the driver doesn't see that traffic is slowing ahead and I wake up yelling "stopping! stopping!" Ha. No clue why. Never had an accident, blah blah. Just always the same dream. But that is for my therapist ;-p.

I sleep deep unless there is a 1.0 earthquake or my cat meows. I'll always wake up for those. I feel earthquakes that nobody even knew happened. Not sure why. But they are pretty rare.

I'm pretty sure my kid would sleep through an invasion. I have to drag him by his feet out of his bed to even get a response. Poor kid takes after mom....

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you are sleeping just fine.

Remember, we would not remember dreaming unless we wake up in the middle of one.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That kinda has a Schrödinger feel to it:

"If you don't remember a dream, is it because you didn't wake up in the middle of it, or because you didn't have one?"

"If you DO remember a dream, is it because, in the dream yu told yourself to remember it, and that woke you up?"

"If you told yourself NOT to wake up during the dream, but then you didn't remember it ... did you really tell yourself NOT TO wake up, and you just forgot it anyway?"

Fuck, now I'm going to lie awake trying to remember my dreams without waking up, but I won't get to sleep, so I won't have any dreams

Oh look! A rabbit hole!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm similar to Ai_1, 5-6 hrs. about 3-4 hours of that is "deep" according to Garmin. I wake up easily (no snooze alarm, etc) when I sleep 6+, not so much at 5+ (early swim days). Even when I'm on vacation I gravitate to 6.5.

Garmin puts me in the "are you even human" category. Not a "brag", don't know what contest you can win by sleeping less....just the way I've always been. According to parents...all the way back to birth.

I try to be nice to someone at least once a week.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 22, 17 12:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. I like naps, too. Sleep is good.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mum tried getting me to nap when I was a kid. She still regrets that... I play to win. And I win at not taking naps.

Look! Squirrel!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, I've heard that insomnia can be a sign of over-training, ironically. I guess that although your body needs the downtime to recover, you're so jacked on endorphins that you can't sleep properly?

Insomnia can indeed be a symptom of overtraining. I don't think it's endorphin related; I think it is hormone-related (cortisol or something).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello SLOgoing and All,

Sleeping for me takes 10 to 12 hours and I usually do not nap .... (but nap occasionally if I feel sleepy or physically tired) I sleep sounder and longer after aerobic workouts .... while weight lifting has less effect on sleep patterns. I will be age group 85-89 in January so my sleep physiology is likely affected by aging .... but I have the same sleep pattern now as when younger.

If your sleep pattern feels good and has good outcomes ...... do it.

I spent a good portion of my working life crossing time zones and sleeping at odds with my circadian rhythm.

Sleep for me comes quickly and I wake slowly ...... daydreaming for a half hour or so before rising.

I think the test for sleep quantity and quality is ...... do you feel rested, are you healthy, and are you active .... and the optimum number of hours for sleeping varies for each individual human ..... often influenced by their exercise dose.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC3726209/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4067693/

Excerpt:

"It has been described in Japanese from Okinawa, individuals classified as having good sleep health, that regular sleep schedules and afternoon naps are associated with healthy lifestyle and emotional adaptability (Taira et al., 2002), which are factors that might be associated with survival and ability to reach extreme ages."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2542954/

Excerpt:

"Short sleep duration is associated with negative health outcomes, but there is little evidence that long sleep duration has adverse health effects."

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Insomnia can indeed be a symptom of overtraining. I don't think it's endorphin related; I think it is hormone-related (cortisol or something).

Insomnia is the very first sign of me overtraining. I used to think it was normal, but after a few markedly subpar race results, I'm pretty sure I was overtraining during those times.

I'm jealous of folks who can sleep for 7+ continuous hours! I can only sleep for 5 hours straight, and then my body wakes me up no matter what. I even have a freaking CPAP sleep apnea machine, which helps me get back to sleep, but the next 1-2 hours are usually pretty messed up in terms of sleep quality. If I skip those 1-2 hours though, I'm dragging all day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sleep 5-6 broken hours of an 8-9 hour attempt to sleep, wake up tired with a headache on the good days..
growing old, I can't recommend it.
before age 50 used to be able to sleep 7-8 hours most nights and wake up functional..
Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
sleep 5-6 broken hours of an 8-9 hour attempt to sleep, wake up tired with a headache on the good days..
before age 50 used to be able to sleep 7-8 hours most nights and wake up functional..

Sleep study for apnea?
Quote Reply
Re: I sleep just fine... [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
doug in co wrote:

Sleep study for apnea?

yep, not that.. yet ;-)

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrTriKat wrote:
Sounds like you are sleeping just fine.

Remember, we would not remember dreaming unless we wake up in the middle of one.

OK, so i remember part of a dream I had last night, but I don't remember waking up in the middle of it

Quote Reply