Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone know what Lukas Verzbicas is up to??
Quote | Reply
I remember when I first got into the sport he was making the swap over to tri and had a nasty cycling accident, but remember he started a comeback with Sutton as his coach. Anyone know what he's up to?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know what Lukas Verzbicas is up to?? [Quincyceltic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know but think it is safe to assume that pro athlete is no longer in the cards. I hope he made the mental transition successfully, finished his degree and embarked on a fulfilling career.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know what Lukas Verzbicas is up to?? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. If it was possible for him to go back to strictly running (pending what lingering effects the accident had) I would love to see that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's still trying the pro route. Not sure whom is overseeing it at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know what Lukas Verzbicas is up to?? [Chris Athey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris Athey wrote:
He's still trying the pro route. Not sure whom is overseeing it at this point.

Sorry to hear that. It's his life of course, but the lack of results over the past four years suggests it isn't going to happen. At some point, he's just wasting time that he could have invested into a new career path instead of hanging on to a fading dream.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have to look to see what type of college program he was in or what pathway.....but it can be a challenge when you go route of full time athletics over school. Now I'm not saying he went down wrong pathway (essentially being part time student while training as full time athlete)....I think what you see is that in a blink of an eye, your life can change.

So maybe his best current pathway is pro that leads to sponsor ambassador type of gig and work the behind the scenes of sport (sports agent/product designer/advisor, etc) as a career.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know what Lukas Verzbicas is up to?? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He wasn't on any normal college path when he quit school and started on that pseudo USAT college program. Unless he has some natural skills that lend themselves to working sport in the background I think he would just be disadvantaged without a regular degree. He gave up a lot to go the pro-route and he's only 24 ... not too late to go back to college this fall. And while no longer top pro material, he probably has enough eligibility left to get a full ride. But again, his life, his choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And while no longer top pro material, he probably has enough eligibility left to get a full ride.
----
I would have to look at rules but I think he wouldn't be eligible. At D1 level your 5 year window pretty much starts when you step on campus. You don't get to stop/start it, so his ability to go to school on their scholarship dime is pretty much done. Add in fact he likely would have to pay back money earned (he's won running road races), so that's likely closed out.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know what Lukas Verzbicas is up to?? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer. In which case, he should go D2 and get the college experience. Can't help myself, but as a father of four with 3 through college and 1 about to start this summer, I just think he lost a lot more than his pro-career when he was injured. I truly wish him the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fairly certain i heard awhile back he was training himself up to give BUD/S an attempt. not sure he ever enlisted though just heard it was something he was aspiring towards.

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know what Lukas Verzbicas is up to?? [VALHALLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I asked Brett Sutton this via twitter and he said LV had gone back to university and enjoying life. No more details..
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone know what Lukas Verzbicas is up to?? [FeketeBlob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FeketeBlob wrote:
I asked Brett Sutton this via twitter and he said LV had gone back to university and enjoying life. No more details..

Good decision, good outcome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
FeketeBlob wrote:

Good decision, good outcome!

he's looking good..

https://www.instagram.com/...en-by=lukasverzbicas

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply