Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Elephant justice? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
Those animals also don't kill just to see something die. They kill for a reason.

Grizzly bear boars often kill cubs, often after a fight with the desperate mother.

Polar bears as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfo233Q6aOg

Do they do it just for a meal? Or to subsequently impregnate the mother, ensuring the propagation of their own genes? What do you think the reason is?

I saw an episode on zebras where the lead stallion took in a female into his group that was pregnant with another male's offspring. Upon birth, he kills it and the female goes on and accepts her role in his group. It was obviously about propagating his genes and horribly displayed that nature isn't always pretty.
Quote Reply
Re: Elephant justice? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
From my very limited understanding, elephants can be a very big nuisance to people who live around them. They're big, destroy a lot of stuff, and are quite dangerous.

I bet that sums up how a lot of animals feel about humans.
Quote Reply
Re: Elephant justice? [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zed707 wrote:
eb wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
Those animals also don't kill just to see something die. They kill for a reason.

Grizzly bear boars often kill cubs, often after a fight with the desperate mother.

Do they do it just for a meal? Or to subsequently impregnate the mother, ensuring the propagation of their own genes? What do you think the reason is?

I saw an episode on zebras where the lead stallion took in a female into his group that was pregnant with another male's offspring. Upon birth, he kills it and the female goes on and accepts her role in his group. It was obviously about propagating his genes and horribly displayed that nature isn't always pretty.

I think this is fairly common behavior especially among "harem" species like lions, gorillas, etc. I've read in some primates pregnant females will sometime even spontaneously abort fetuses when a new male takes over the group.
Quote Reply
Re: Elephant justice? [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:

I'll try to offer an honest answer whether you question was genuine or not.

I think its similar to how you respect an opponent, or a rival in any competition. I harbor zero ill feelings towards the animals I hunt. In contrast, the more I learn about them, the more times I try and fail to get within hunting distance of them, the more time I spend living in their environment, the more I admire and respect them. I had about zero feelings towards elk when I started hunting them. Now, 3.5 years later, having killed 2, I hold them in very high esteem. Their daily movement strategy, using mountain thermals, movement, and daylight/darkness to protect themselves from predators of all kinds is incredible as is their physical toughness and stamina.

Having said that, I also feel a slight remorse when I'm successful. Taking a life for my own gain isn't something that the vast majority of hunters take lightly. The elk that comes from my freezer, having been killed by me and carried out of the mountains on my back, is treated with great respect. My daughters know that they'd better not waste any of it because we all value what it took to bring it to our table. We had elk loin grilled with spinach and feta salad last night as a matter of fact.

The antlers on my wall remind me every day of one of the most important weeks of my life. Non hunters tend to think of the trophies as an expression of ego and I'm sure that's true for some, but for many, I'd even say most of us, they are important reminders of the experiences that led to them being there. My DIY, public land, solo 5x6 280" elk antlers and meat mean more to me than my 3 NCAA-II individual title awards.

In the general absence of guns, the concept of hunting in Oz is somewhat foreign. As such I never thought I'd say this, but I think that if I believed all hunters were like this I'd have few issues with the concept.

I also accept it's somewhat hypocritical to eat meat from shops and criticise hunting for food.
Quote Reply
Re: Elephant justice? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

I don't know if there's more to that story, but shooting that bear seemed unnecessary?
Quote Reply

Prev Next