Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Camelbak bladder as a BTA?
Quote | Reply
This is a bit outside the box, and my Google fu has not found a prior expeiment with this, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to rig up a 100 oz bladder between the arms for hydration. It appears to be able to fit with some straps. I haven't road tested it yet but I'm wondering why not do this? 100 oz would he enough for a 70.3 bike leg so no need to have multiple bottles all over the place, getting out of aero, etc. The bladder would have to be terribly un-aero to negate the benefits. Most bta bottles are probably more aero but they hold barely more than a regular bottle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Will
Quote Reply
Re: Camelbak bladder as a BTA? [willhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Besides the aero penalty, I see a few problems:
  • as it drains and the non-rigid bladder gets floppy, will the straps keep it in line? Will it droop/fall out?
  • 100oz on your bars is a lot of weight. It will change handling characteristics...perhaps not too bad. But it will be weird at first, for sure.
  • It will look weird, but who cares? Race officials could think it is unsafe (as above).

Quote Reply
Re: Camelbak bladder as a BTA? [willhs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The solution to this is to buy a long, skinny bladder and build a carbon fiber shell for it :) It's a project I have going at home. I'll post the Amazon link for the bladder when I get to my gate.
Quote Reply
Re: Camelbak bladder as a BTA? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was eyeing those skinny bladders. They are cheap! A shell would obviously be ideal or I was going to build a sling. It will truly fill the space between the arms. Might need to aero test it...
Quote Reply