Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

THREE piece wetsuits?
Quote | Reply
I've done a couple kinda-chilly races recently. Struggled with the chill bc I only have a sleeveless. I'm also due for a new wetsuit.

I'm entertaining ideas of switching to a 2-piece wetsuit, but maybe with choice of two tops. I'd have either sleeved or sleeveless available, with the same pair of bottoms to go with either.

What's the groupthink on 2-piece suits in general?
Anyone heard of the 3-piece option?

I could while away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain
Quote Reply
Re: THREE piece wetsuits? [pj_haas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Desoto three piece option. I have the bibjohn, a long sleeve, and short sleeve top.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are more than three piece wetsuits today. Both Desoto and now Orca (RS1 models) feature two (separate tops and bottoms) piece models. Plus one can also have a sleeved and/or sleeveless tops. Zone 3 has a neoprene warmth vest. Then there is the swim run models and various neoprene swim shorts that can also be used with various tops. Mix and match to your needs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two piece suits used to have a big advantage in reducing stroke restriction. Now with better suit designs that gap has closed and the main benefits imo are the ability to get a more custom fit (different size top and bottom), and having a less expensive way to have sleeved and sleeveless.

Additional thoughts:

Most testing puts the De Soto suits about mid-pack in terms of speed.

De Soto and TYR make sleeves you can wear with a sleeveless top for more speed/warmth. They look like neoprene stem warmers.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: THREE piece wetsuits? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Two piece suits used to have a big advantage in reducing stroke restriction. Now with better suit designs that gap has closed and the main benefits imo are the ability to get a more custom fit (different size top and bottom), and having a less expensive way to have sleeved and sleeveless.

Additional thoughts:

Most testing puts the De Soto suits about mid-pack in terms of speed.

De Soto and TYR make sleeves you can wear with a sleeveless top for more speed/warmth. They look like neoprene stem warmers.

Most testing puts the De Soto suits about mid-pack in terms of speed. ---- If this refers to testing by Slowman, then a better statement would be "non-significant difference".
Quote Reply
Re: THREE piece wetsuits? [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My statement is based on Slowman's tests, two rounds of testing by Lava, and my n=1 testing.

Given the difficulty in controlling variables and lack of blind testing, I doubt there will be testing that meets stat sig at a typical conf. With a reasonable protocol.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: THREE piece wetsuits? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Titanflexr and All,

How did a sleeveless top or full wetsuit test with arm warmers? .... If you tested ...

That might be a good idea with an arm warmer/sleeveless combo that leaves only a very small amount of skin exposed and very little restriction to swim motion ..... for the best of both worlds ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: THREE piece wetsuits? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try the "arm warmers" out in the local pool to obtain some insight on whether they will help you with speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the conversation + ideas. Now I'm getting drawn to the idea of a "2+2 piece"... bibs, sleeveless top, arm warmers.

I could while away the hours
Conferrin' with the flowers
Consultin' with the rain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Try the "arm warmers" out in the local pool to obtain some insight on whether they will help you with speed.

I'm guessing they would (no data). The main advantage would probably be the lowered drag during entry/glide/catch due to the SCS coating (vs. skin/hair).

Could be a good solution for those who just don't like the stroke constriction of a FS. It won't seal against water entry as well as a FS, but might be a reasonable trade (esp. for those whose alternative would be a lower-end/less flexible FS suit).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you already have a sleeveless, then just get a good quality sleeved and own 2 wetsuits, rather than an assortment of wetsuits.

Ian
Quote Reply