Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scotch, round 2
Quote | Reply
Bought a bottle of Glenmorangie yesterday. I've poured a finger, adding 2 ice cubes. Testing in 5 min...

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch, round 2 [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MUCH more pleasant aroma than the Ardberg... 3 min...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 16 is awesome

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch, round 2 [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is good. I don't know the descriptors that the connoisseurs use, but it has less bite than a lot of bourbons. Overall smooth.

Ok, highland Scotch seems good, the peaty Island stuff isn't my thing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest looking for longer barrel aged highlands, balconies 12 might be a nice led expensive choice for you. You may also find a difference with oak vs sherry barrel aging.
Just soft to look for if you like the Abelour

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch, round 2 [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My always in stock go-to is regular makers mark. I typically make whisky sours or mix with ginger beer (use Goya- really spicy) and a splash of lime. Same mixture with Kraken rummis good too.

I know you're a bourbon guy, but this glenmorangie is worth a shot. I like it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried scotch and I just cannot do it. I probably need to give it a shot again, but, man, I've never found one I like. I am currently drinking Eagle Rare 10 year, neat, with a couple drops of water.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im glad you like it.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch, round 2 [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a really solid suggestion. I'll pour you a glass if our paths ever cross.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a scotch drinker but sure as hell would like to be. Just looks cool as hell, I may grow up one day and give it a go.

Question, was at a bar in a fine establishment a while back. Guy orders a scotch, don't remember what kind, just remember the bartender saying it was $60 a pour. The gentleman nodded and the bartender proceeded to pull this metal contraption and put a large block of ice in it and melted it down to a perfect sphere. He placed it in the glass and poured the scotch. What was that ritual all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch, round 2 [SkipG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkipG wrote:
I am not a scotch drinker but sure as hell would like to be. Just looks cool as hell, I may grow up one day and give it a go.

Question, was at a bar in a fine establishment a while back. Guy orders a scotch, don't remember what kind, just remember the bartender saying it was $60 a pour. The gentleman nodded and the bartender proceeded to pull this metal contraption and put a large block of ice in it and melted it down to a perfect sphere. He placed it in the glass and poured the scotch. What was that ritual all about?

Many drink scotch on the rocks. Many scotches and whiskeys need just a little bit of water to open them up and some people like them chilled. So, that's why the use of ice.

However, most bars have small ice cubes from ice machines. Those ice cubes melt too quickly and dilute the scotch. You don't want that. So, instead, you use a very large ice ball that chills the drink, but does not melt quickly and, thus, does not dilute the drink.

You can make a large ice ball using an ice mold that you fill with water and freeze. However, the "fancy" way to do it is put a block of ice in a press and melt it down to a ball. Certain metals react with ice and melts it without having to heat it up. You don't need to go through this process to get an ice ball, but it is part of the presentation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However, most bars have small ice cubes from ice machines. Those ice cubes melt too quickly and dilute the scotch. You don't want that. So, instead, you use a very large ice ball that chills the drink, but does not melt quickly and, thus, does not dilute the drink.
---

Rookies. Enjoy your drink faster and you won't have a melting ice problem.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
SkipG wrote:

Many drink scotch on the rocks. Many scotches and whiskeys need just a little bit of water to open them up and some people like them chilled. So, that's why the use of ice.

You can make a large ice ball using an ice mold that you fill with water and freeze. However, the "fancy" way to do it is put a block of ice in a press and melt it down to a ball. Certain metals react with ice and melts it without having to heat it up. You don't need to go through this process to get an ice ball, but it is part of the presentation.
the presentation was impressive for sure. Googled some of the ice ball makers and they can set you back well over a $1000, did see this one for $50 that says it makes crystal clear ice balls.
https://www.wintersmiths.com/...ducts/the-ice-baller
Quote Reply