Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help needed! Where to ride in LA, CA?
Quote | Reply
I am arriving to LA, CA at August 18, prior to 70.3 Worlds in Chattanooga. Will be there for 15 days. Last time I've been in LA (10yrs ago :))), I was just a runner, and it was easy.
I am staying in Torrance and will have a car. Could you recommend me a few cycling routes (flat ones as well as hilly ones)

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed! Where to ride in LA, CA? [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in South Torrance (Torrance is a pretty big city), but you'll have some access to lots of flat (along the beach route) and hills (in Palos Verdes, next door). What distances you looking for, and level of riding? There are some pretty hard charging group rides around here you could jump on as well
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed! Where to ride in LA, CA? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since it's a 70.3 race, nothing longer than 70,80mi. I remember a beachside bike paths, but it would be more cyclotourist type of ride....
I don't have a problem to ride at the same 10-15mi road over and over. Usually averaging some 25mph (on a TT bike) over 40,50mi distance during my harder sessions, so I don't know if I fit in your groups. Mostly ride alone (specific sessions so I don't want to bother anyone), except on LSD rides when I ride my road bike in a group

Thank you Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are based in Torrance, I agree with the other poster regarding Palos Verdes. Some decent short/medium length rides there with some nice hills. I personally can't stand riding on The Strand (the beachfront path everyone raves about) as it is usually too covered with walkers, skateboarders, etc to get any real riding in. However, if you want to drive a little bit, here are some recommendations:

Malibu - head up into the Santa Monica mountains for some great rides.
La Canada/Flintridge - easy access to Angeles Crest Hwy, Mount Wilson, Big and Little Tujunga, and more.
Sierra Madre - lots of clubs meet here and go all over the place.
Encanto Park in Duarte - short ride to Glendora Mountain Road (leading to Glendora Ridge and Mount Baldy), Hwy 39 Azusa Canyon and Crystal Lake, or get right onto the bike trails (Rio hondo and LA River)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:
I am arriving to LA, CA at August 18, prior to 70.3 Worlds in Chattanooga. Will be there for 15 days. Last time I've been in LA (10yrs ago :))), I was just a runner, and it was easy.
I am staying in Torrance and will have a car. Could you recommend me a few cycling routes (flat ones as well as hilly ones)

Thanks!

No offense to locals who have to live there an mainly road bike, but Torrance for Tri riding is a bad idea....

I'd be in the car every day at sunrise to get out of there///either North, South or East...anywhere else where there is open road.

Or I'd bring the Trainer.

But for riding outside, I'd probably go for the St. Gabriel Mountains climbing or down the coast, Orange County for hilly/flat roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed! Where to ride in LA, CA? [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robegan99 wrote:
If you are based in Torrance, I agree with the other poster regarding Palos Verdes. Some decent short/medium length rides there with some nice hills. I personally can't stand riding on The Strand (the beachfront path everyone raves about) as it is usually too covered with walkers, skateboarders, etc to get any real riding in. However, if you want to drive a little bit, here are some recommendations:

Malibu - head up into the Santa Monica mountains for some great rides.
La Canada/Flintridge - easy access to Angeles Crest Hwy, Mount Wilson, Big and Little Tujunga, and more.
Sierra Madre - lots of clubs meet here and go all over the place.
Encanto Park in Duarte - short ride to Glendora Mountain Road (leading to Glendora Ridge and Mount Baldy), Hwy 39 Azusa Canyon and Crystal Lake, or get right onto the bike trails (Rio hondo and LA River)

Thanks, this is helpful!
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed! Where to ride in LA, CA? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
bojan wrote:

Thanks!

No offense to locals who have to live there an mainly road bike, but Torrance for Tri riding is a bad idea....

I'd be in the car every day at sunrise to get out of there///either North, South or East...anywhere else where there is open road.

Or I'd bring the Trainer.

But for riding outside, I'd probably go for the St. Gabriel Mountains climbing or down the coast, Orange County for hilly/flat roads.

I will have a car over there since I staying at my best friends house. He will even buy a turbo trainer for me :) :) but I prefer to have my long rides outside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We usually do the LA river bike path for TT work. Not too far from you and if you go from Long Beach up to Azusa it's 40 miles with 1 stoplight crossing and that's it. You can do San Gabriel as well but it doesn't seem to be as well maintained south of the dam.
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed! Where to ride in LA, CA? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I can roll out the door and get 80 miles with 7,000 feet of climbing with 3 stoplights the whole way

The horror.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want long and flat drive down to Los alamitos bay, park near a restaurant called schooner or later, hop on the San Gabriel river bike path (make the left over the bridge about 5 miles in) you can get 60 plus miles and even add some climbing halfway thru

Or, drive to cross creek in Malibu and take PCH north, exit Las Posas road and take that straight to the 101 and back, or turn left on hueneme road to harbor drive and you can make it all the way to Santa Barbara If you want to throw in climbs, turn right of pch to encinal or mulholland and climb and then descend (you can connect these so you don't have to descend the same road but it's a bit confusing if you've never done it.). Do not climb or descend Malibu canyon or Kanaan dume (IMO).

You could ride up to Malibu but I gave that up years ago, too many junk miles through cities to get there. Beach path only as a last resort and not on a sunny day

For hills if you don't want to drive you can rode the "Drives." Palos Verdes drive north, to east up to crest, short 10 minute climb then descend the switchbacks to pv drive west. I'd recommend doing it clockwise first, and preferably early. Full loop is 35 ish miles depending. There are lots of other climbs you can add on - Hawthorne, via coronel, via Del monte. I wouldn't join a group ride with a tri bike
Quote Reply
Re: Help needed! Where to ride in LA, CA? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a million to you all. I think I have enough ideas :)

Can't wait to spin this beast on South Cali roads

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.strava.com/routes/168088
Quote Reply