Sanuk wrote:
I have never understood why Iran is the enemy and Saudis are the allies

O i l
i
l
Quote Reply
Re: Saudi Arabia knows how to play Trump [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Iran is an innocent player, but a lot of what they have done is talk. They have threatened the Strait but haven't taken a lot of actions that directly impacted the U.S.

The issue over "wiping Israel off the map" is a perfect example of how they have been demonized in the Western press. Ahmadinejad's comment had nothing to do with Israel, he was referring to the regime, not the country. If his speech is translated properly, the word "map" was never used and a strict translation shows that he was calling for the regime occupying Jerusalem to be destroyed. He never used the words "map" or "wipe out" or even the country of Israel.

Meanwhile, the Saudis were largely responsible for 9/11 and continue to spread Wahhabism, an Conservative and extreme form of Islam around the world. They have terrible human rights and treat women like slaves. In return, they are rewarded with billions of dollars in contracts and world leaders go there and treat them as if the world owes them. Iran gets economic sanctions.

It's not even so much the way Iran is treated that bothers me. It's more the way the Saudis are worshipped that is the problem.
Last edited by: Sanuk: May 24, 17 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: Saudi Arabia knows how to play Trump [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
   What Slowguy said, and add in the Iranian destabilization of many countries in the region. That is why you have the surprising sudden, maybe not alliance, but at least kinship of Israel with several of these erstwhile enemies, that occurred in response to Obama's Iran deal. Our interest there probably revolves more and more around our relationship with Israel. One of the things Trump is doing is making very clear he is taking a side, and that with the group of states aligned against Iran. Is it time to write off the region and throw Israel under the bus? Would that redound to greater peace (and stability!) for mideast populations, for the US?
Quote Reply

Prev Next