Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does every pro triathlete get routine massages?
Quote | Reply
Just a debate at work because I hate massages and don't believe they add much and a person said that every pro gets them and for a good reason.

So just wondering what percentage of pros/elites get them and how beneficial it is to their training?
Quote Reply
Re: Does every pro triathlete get routine massages? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Just a debate at work because I hate massages and don't believe they add much and a person said that every pro gets them and for a good reason.

So just wondering what percentage of pros/elites get them and how beneficial it is to their training?

Nope. Never. Well, not anymore. I used to do it because, "everyone did it," but I always wondered whether they added anything. Haven't done massage since 2010. I do have a physiotherapist that I work with who does a form of manual therapy called MAT - https://muscleactivation.com/ - but it's definitely not any form of massage.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no pro but in season I probably get 4 of them before some races. I feel they help loosen things up and get my muscles firing correctly but maybe it's placebo. Who knows. I did just buy the Air Relax boots so I will be using those since I suck at recovery. If these do their job then I can see myself not getting massages unless something is axtually going on. And if that's the case these boots will pay for themselves in a year.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read Matt Hanson's blog and he says he never gets them. He's pretty thrifty though.
Last edited by: Pat0: May 20, 17 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You hate massages? Why? They feel awesome. I can understand the debate about whether they help you be a better athlete but massages are awesome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sometimes wonder if some of them get them for free as a trade for exposure-as in--Tweet or Instagram or Facebook post about 'the amazing massage that KingMidas just gave me and is going to make me the next World Champ'? That leads me to wonder would they still get them/is there benefit if they had to pay for KingMidas' amazing massage?
Quote Reply
Re: Does every pro triathlete get routine massages? [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i had an itu pro stay at my house who would hit top 20 here and there in wts. when he is shipping his only bike in cardboard box on plane, and building it himself, I can assure you he cant not afford one, as many others.
Quote Reply
Re: Does every pro triathlete get routine massages? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
i had an itu pro stay at my house who would hit top 20 here and there in wts. when he is shipping his only bike in cardboard box on plane, and building it himself, I can assure you he cant not afford one, as many others.

Yeah that's about what my thought/ASSumption was on this topic!!
Quote Reply
Re: Does every pro triathlete get routine massages? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
You hate massages? Why? They feel awesome. I can understand the debate about whether they help you be a better athlete but massages are awesome

I just don't find the fact that someone pushing on me and hurting me fun. Plus when I got it a couple times all I could think about was that I could be using that time to workout or play video games. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only those with a happy ending
Quote Reply