Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Hamilton/Ancaster Ontario
Quote | Reply
I may have to work in Hamilton area for a few months, and wondering what cycling is like in the area.....any good roads, or routes for longer rides.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Hamilton/Ancaster Ontario [fe_man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snake Road

No. 2 Sideroad

Rattlesnake Point

Have fun!

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Dundas which borders Ancaster. Some really great riding. Go to Dundas. Hill repeats of Sydenham hill (called Clara Hughes climb) a must. As is visit to Grupetto a local coffee shop catering to cyclists. Once on top of Sydenham you are in the country with endless roads through Flamborough north west to Guelph.

Also roads from Ancaster to small town called Paris are sweet. Just be careful riding along grand river through Caledonia. Trucks take it as a sport there to diesel throttle riders.

As this is a triathlon forum, if you run check Dundas trail center which can be accessed in Ancaster from Sulpher Springs road.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of good riding and country roads. Where are you starting from (East or West side?, North or South of the Lake?)?

Starting on the South East side, most head towards Niagra. There are climbs that along the escarpment that will make anyone suffer. Of course, you can make it easier or harder depending on your mood.

On the North West side, it's easy to head North-East for some good country roads.

I don't live right in Hamilton anymore, but I still get together with buddies in the Hammer for a hard Wednesday 40k group ride. Not 'long' by any standards, but a great workout. Anyone is welcome to join. We usually have a slower group (avg 34-36kph) start out at 6:30 and then a faster group (37-40kph) chase them down starting at 6:35.

Neworld cycles or the Triathlon Club of Burlington (TCOB) has some good group rides (some longer weekend rides too), but those would all require some kind of membership.
Quote Reply