Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Labor Law Question
Quote | Reply
Hypothetically, no legal advice needs to be given.

Not that it matters since i wouldn't sue, but is there anything illegal about this situation? My manager left company 2 years ago. I applied and was made manager of a group of 10+. I face the client and manage the team to make sure work is completed in successful manner. My manager was very happy with my performance. Even though no one got a raise in the company he tried to get me one. The main problem is HR has never actually made me the manager of the team. my team members actually report to people in other countries and other US managers. I do their appraisals, and in every way am their manager, I just don't show as their manager.

The problem is HR can't make me a manager because I have the wrong title. And there has been an 18 month freeze on promotions so there is no way they can fix this. They have been turned down at the highest level even when no extra money was required. They also say with coming reorgs they don't know when this could be fixed.

In the meantime I continue to work much longer hours with no additional compensation. Also the manager that hired me has quit since he was so frustrated with mismanagement in the company. btw, this is not a small company, they just don't ever seem to know what they are doing.

Mostly I am a sucker for not leaving, but there are various reasons for not leaving.
Quote Reply
Re: Labor Law Question [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY, NOT LEGAL ADVICE.

Unless you have a written employment contract that spells out your position/duties/pay and the company is not adhering to those terms, there is likely no legal cause of action. Of course, there are multiple variables that could change this case, but, you have not provided enough information. For example, if you have an employee handbook that talks about position descriptions and you have position descriptions and salary scales and the company is not following its own internal procedure, you possibly could have a cause of action. However, if this is a large company, that likely have the necessary caveats in their handbook explaining that nothing in the handbook creates a promise, guarantee, and/or contract. Those types of cases are few and far between and rarely successful.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Labor Law Question [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks JSA, I figured as much. Believe me working for this company is entertaining.
Quote Reply