Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You and the aging process [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 39 and feel really fortunate about my health. My mom died at the age I always joked I would die -- up until the point she died, now joking about it seems a little macabre -- which was 47. I still don't really know what she died from, other than the likelihood that it was some weird combination of effects from medications that should be taken together destroying her insides over time since she went to different doctors who didn't know everything she was taking; she was addicted to pain killers on top of her other health issues, and that addiction screwed up her mind & likely made her terrified of losing those. Heart disease runs in my family as well as high cholesterol, things that terrify me.

Until then I didn't really care about overall health, short of wanting to be at a non-obese weight. Weight was up and down like a roller coaster, but never out of control. After her sudden death I decided that an early death might happen to me, but I wasn't going to be a participant in making it happen, so I took control of my health & fitness. I've quit racing due to other circumstances, but am trim, can tell that I actually have abdominal muscles when I take my shirt off, do what I can to keep manageable stress at a minimum, eat really well but balanced enough to not hate life, take place in activities that are physical, emotional, and intellectual to maintain a good balance overall, keep a circle of friends that are a great influence and people that add to my life rather than making me tolerate it, drop like hot potatoes those who lack that capability.

Niggling sports injuries hit me here and there, but nothing awful or unexpected. Once every couple of years I seem to go down pretty hard on the mountain bike and ache for a few days. In transitional seasons from a cold winter to a hot spring & back to a cold wet spring, I'll get a lingering cold that lasts a couple of weeks. Thought I had the high family cholesterol, but despite LDL being borderline high, everything else is excellent, which makes my ratios good and the doctor has zero concern at this point; other health markers apparently look quite good as well. All in all, I'm good. And I feel particularly good when I'm at an event with a bunch of other dads my age and see that most of them appear to be in far worse shape and far worse health than me. Not that I know their situations, but I know that the comparison to an average person with situations similar to mine indicates that I'm taking care of this particular area of my life well, whereas a comparison to some young stud athlete makes me think I'm a slug (and in comparison I am, but I'm the stallion compared to most other average, working, real life, middle class dads).

mv2005 wrote:
I'm 42 and have generally considered myself to be in good shape my whole life. But for some niggling injuries I'd be out there belting out the k's. Wouldn't say I'm particularly strong but have an athletic build that with recent training hiatus might carry up to one kg of cuddliness.

What I've noticed over the years:

A bunion that developed around the age of 31-32 that hasn't got significantly worse but gives ongoing mild discomfort.

Had laser surgery for short sightedness when I was about 35-36. I've recently noticed pulling away from objects thrust in my face so I'm not sure how long I can hold off on reading glasses.

Various training related injuries mainly in my right leg that have halted a usually solid regime but not sure they qualify as age related.

Was convinced I was going bald from about the age of 24 with excessive shedding but may have just been stress and depression. Some mild signs the process has now begun. Decent amount of greys underneath the dye!

Lower back has been really stiff of late. Sometimes takes me 10-15 seconds to straighten up and move freely. Hoping this is a short term inactivity thing. But the back got me thinking about this thread.

Have been fortunate with no serious illnesses but I'm at the age where I need to be vigilant.

So what have you noticed through the years?

On a morbid extension of this, have you planned for death? If so to what extent other than insurances? I had extended family that bought plots fairly early on.
Quote Reply

Prev Next