Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "No problem" [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
Also, they're not doing you a favor by ringing up your order.

Well, actually they kind of are. At the grocery store I can check out on my own but at the coffee shop I can't.

Sure, I'm paying them for the service but if someone is nice to me and smiles and seems genuinely happy to be ringing up my order then I don't see it as some kind of burden to say thanks.

Exactly this. I find if I'm pleasant, they're pleasant and more apt to say thank you to me first. It's just polite interaction. A lot of what people say is in their intonation and presentation, not in their actual words.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I do t disagree at all that politeness and a kind word go a long way, especially since both are in short supply these days. And I certainly am not saying you shouldn't say "thank you" to people who provide services. But the mindset that they're doing you a favor by simply doing the job they are paid for is part of the emerging culture we have. Some snotty kid who could only get a job bagging groceries thinks he's doing you a favor putting your eggs under your canned tomatoes. The default at a grocery store is the checkout line. If anything, the self check is a benefit because the regular checkout lines get too long.

Someone at work told me that they were told that they had to chip in to get someone in IT a gift certificate for helping them on a project. Now, I know the person that will be getting the gift certificate and she works hard. However, I also know that she is well compensated for working hard and working on projects is pretty much her job.

If someone told me that I had to chip in to get someone who makes more than me a thank you gift certificate I would not be a happy camper.

I would thank the person for their hard work. However, I do not feel in any way indebted to them for doing their job.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A lot of what people say is in their intonation and presentation, not in their actual words.

Undeniably true. Although, the example that prompted this post is the young woman in the checkout line in my hospital cafeteria. There's nothing unpleasant about how she responds to my TY with NP, and it would be just as robotic if she were responding with TY, and yet it's still jarring. In contrast, the operators that direct all of the calls inside the hospital universally respond to TY with "my pleasure," no doubt as they have been trained. It's no less robotic, and yet it's still more pleasant and proportionate for the interaction.

I think it just comes down to professionalism.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: May 23, 17 5:28
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you feel about "any time" or "it was my pleasure"? What other phrases would we not be allowed to use if Sphere was King of Earth?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd allow any phrases people care to use. People can either project a solid grasp of language and etiquette, or not. It's their choice irregardless.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
A lot of what people say is in their intonation and presentation, not in their actual words.

Undeniably true. Although, the example that prompted this post is the young woman in the checkout line in my hospital cafeteria. There's nothing unpleasant about how she responds to my TY with NP, and it would be just as robotic if she were responding with TY, and yet it's still jarring. In contrast, the operators that direct all of the calls inside the hospital universally respond to TY with "my pleasure," no doubt as they have been trained. It's no less robotic, and yet it's still more pleasant and proportionate for the interaction.

I think it just comes down to professionalism.

That, and the meaning of the words. NP means that whatever it is they did for you is insignificant and doesn't really require your thanks. "You're welcome" or "my pleasure" acknowledges that they did something nice for you, and that they did so willingly and that they're happy to have helped you.

Obviously, tone and context can change the meaning of anything, but in general, that's how I would view the difference.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Millennials are idiots.

The end of the period: https://www.nytimes.com/...t-using-it.html?_r=0

"the period is being deployed as a weapon to show irony, syntactic snark, insincerity, even aggression

If the love of your life just canceled the candlelit, six-course, home-cooked dinner you have prepared, you are best advised to include a period when you respond “Fine.” to show annoyance

“Fine” or “Fine!,” in contrast, could denote acquiescence or blithe acceptance"

WTF?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
People can either project a solid grasp of language and etiquette, or not. It's their choice irregardless.

That was on purpose, right? :)

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is an interesting topic to me as a 31 year old who works in sales and service. I will admit to using No problem sometimes, other times I use You're Welcome, depends on the situation I suppose.

If someone thinks they are asking a lot of me when really it is my job it does feel more natural to respond with a no problem. "Oh thank you so much for helping me with that, I really didn't know what to do and was so confused". A response of "it's no problem at all" or something along those lines seems to make sense. If it was a "i was so confused and didn't know what to do, thank you", "you're welcome" seems more appropriate as it immediately follows the thank you.

I have also noticed that sometimes a "you're welcome" seems to obligate people to say thank you as they have momentarily forgotten they already expressed their thanks. I get this one all the time. "thanks so much for your help, that really makes me feel better" "you're welcome" "thank you". Almost seems as if the "you're welcome doesn't immediately follow the "thank you" they get confused and issue another "thank you" in response to the "you're welcome". This makes me feel like I chastised them with the "you're welcome" and reminded them to thank me, when in reality I would never do that.

A conundrum for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [Danno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Danno wrote:
sphere wrote:
People can either project a solid grasp of language and etiquette, or not. It's their choice irregardless.

That was on purpose, right? :)

Excellent point.

Quote:
The classic example is irregardless, a jocular dialect play dating back to 1912 on irrespective and regardless; it's a joke, not a word.

From William Safire, whose death marked the end of the relevance of the New York Times.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: "No problem" [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, it was intentional.

Quote Reply

Prev Next