Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What is the next new Ironman?
Quote | Reply
It's slow today as evidenced by the aero shootout on cheeseburgers. However, in the past 7 days, WTC has announced new IM70.3s in Spain, Sri Lanka and Argentina. Is there any informed speculation out there about a new IM (besides China) possibly in the U.S. or is the market maxed out and we need to wait a few more years?
Quote Reply
Re: What is the next new Ironman? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard rumors from a Navy friend years ago that some Team guy was planning some new type of endurance event. It was said to be multiple days long and include everything from underwater swimming, weight lifting, mountaineering, some other stuff, and then to be culminated with an Ironman triathlon. I have not heard of much since, don't know if the idea fizzled out or not.
Last edited by: honestly: May 19, 17 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.epic5.com

The next Ironman is just more Ironmans!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: What is the next new Ironman? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
http://www.epic5.com

The next Ironman is just more Ironmans!!!!

That is way beyond my ability at age 60. However, there will be an announcement from Ironman South Africa on Friday. Speculation is:

1) New 70.3 in Cape Town
2) New Ironman in Cape Town
3) Ironman South Africa moves from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think they could garner enough interest in a 2nd full without the 75 slots for a championship? I didn't follow along registration this year but the full didn't sell out last year

I'd put my money (and hopes) on a cape town 70.3 as I think PE works well enough for them to remain

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: What is the next new Ironman? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did IMSA last month and my personal opinion is that the country cannot support two fulls. More than a third of the field was international, and while many are not there to try and KQ, the whole championship aura is part of the draw. It was an outstanding race, and I hope it doesn't move. As a participant from this year, I'm getting a lot of the FaceBook feed about this Friday's announcement and the speculation from the comments comes down to the 3 options I identified. We will find out soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No new races at all... The announcement was a Kona lottery for one slot (75 entries) which costs about $400 to enter (ZAR 5,000).

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: What is the next new Ironman? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a pile of shit. They had everyone going with their "big announcement" when really it was just an advwrtisement for more of the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...another letdown lol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I did IMSA last month and my personal opinion is that the country cannot support two fulls. More than a third of the field was international, and while many are not there to try and KQ, the whole championship aura is part of the draw. It was an outstanding race, and I hope it doesn't move. As a participant from this year, I'm getting a lot of the FaceBook feed about this Friday's announcement and the speculation from the comments comes down to the 3 options I identified. We will find out soon.

Plus you will get mugged! Call it Ironman Cape Town & Mugging!
Quote Reply
Re: What is the next new Ironman? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While in Port Elizabeth I heard nothing but good things about Cape Town. You may have just lost your job with the local tourist bureau. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
While in Port Elizabeth I heard nothing but good things about Cape Town. You may have just lost your job with the local tourist bureau. :)

Well we know he won't be there either!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either that or he will stay on the course next time instead of where he was. Coming from the US, I figured the course would be well monitored during race week, and so it was. I felt safe at all times including downtown. If I can earn a slot to the 2018 70.3 WC I will go back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Well we know he won't be there either!

Are you sure Fredrik won't be back. I am not sure you know what you are talking about. For the record, I rode all over the place in and around Port Elizabeth on the course and off the course through all part of the place touring around on my decked out P3. Everyone left me alone. I personally felt quite safe, but I have been to many rougher places around the world, so I don't get phased that easily.

I would like to qualify for 70.3 World's and will be going back if I can in 2018.
Quote Reply