Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubulars?
Quote | Reply
What are people's opinions on running tubular vs clinchers for ironman length races? Faster?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [misterpersonguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faster in terms of what, changing a flat, rolling resistance, or air resistance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubulars for cyclocross and track only. The primary benefit of tubulars for pro cyclists - the ability to ride on a flat tire until a team car or teammate can get you a wheel - do not apply to amateur cyclists or triathletes.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: May 19, 17 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clinchers have faster/better tires available. The benefits of tubulars don't apply to triathletes in my opinion.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What are people's opinions on running tubular vs clinchers for ironman length races? Faster?

Tubulars suck. They exist from cycling's yesteryear. Pain in the neck to install and de-install properly (a gluey mess), a flat will cost you $100, and the tire selection is slower than many, many clinchers. You can ride on a flat with tubulars, but that doesn't really give it any advantage at an ironman length race.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Quote:

Tubulars suck. They exist from cycling's yesteryear. Pain in the neck to install and de-install properly (a gluey mess), a flat will cost you $100, and the tire selection is slower than many, many clinchers. You can ride on a flat with tubulars, but that doesn't really give it any advantage at an ironman length race.

Counterpoints:
Used tubular wheels are cheap as hell these days. You can often get a tire or two thrown in.
Gluing is a pain but hardly the end of the world. Only a bit harder than some of the horror stories you hear about jacking some clinchers onto wider wheels these days.
If you flat with a couple of km to go you can ride it in rather than stopping to change a tire. It depends on where you get the flat, but this can be a race saver.
If you are competing with someone on clinchers for the attention of a sexy European triathlete (or older triathlete) at an after party, you will win out 100% of the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Faster in terms of what, changing a flat, rolling resistance, or air resistance?

I'll take "None of the Above" for $200

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run tubulars and tubulars only on my race wheels.

I also, glue on my on tubulars, track all mileage on every tire, and inspect every tire after every ride/race.

In 32 IM's I've completed, have only had 2 (yes, 2) flats. Can easily change my tubular in under a minute. Yes, I can and have done this....because I GLUE ON MY OWN TIRES, SO I KNOW HOW MUCH GLUE WAS USED AND WHERE. Thus, when I need to change a tire, I know where to start to peel it off, and I know that I have used the bare minimum amount of glue initially to glue them on.

FWIW: I rode next to a guy at IM 70.3 Galveston this year who was riding a tubular on his disc that was flat as a pancake. I even told him his disc was flat, and he said he knew but was making it back to transition (5 miles away). Thus the benefit of a glued on tubular.

If you want to run tubulars, then learn how and glue them on yourself!!!!!! Be responsible for your own equipment and how it was built/installed. And NO, you DO NOT need to put down 3 coats of glue to get a tubular to stay on. That is ridiculous. You might as well throw away the entire wheel if you have glued the tire on that way, because the damn tire isn't ever coming off the wheel with that much glue used.

To each, his own........

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
Tubulars for cyclocross and track only. The primary benefit of tubulars for pro cyclists - the ability to ride on a flat tire until a team car or teammate can get you a wheel - do not apply to amateur cyclists or triathletes.

I mostly race bikes these days, and I have a couple of sets of tubulars that I race on. One set I bought because they're basically a 1000g wheelset with a 48mm deep section rim - you can't do that in a clincher. The other set I bought from a minor pro team that were folding, so super good value.

The primary benefit quoted above can apply to amateur cyclists, and to a lesser extent triathletes. Most road races in the southwest have follow cars (and, of course, crits have a pit). I'm assuming that if we can manage it in NM/AZ then other states can manage it. I've ridden the last km of a TT on a flat before now as well.

I'm not going to recommend tubular wheels for triathlon, but if you road race and want tubular wheels (or can get them cheap) then by all means use them for tri too.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's your process for gluing? or do you have a link to a process you follow? I am new to tubs and have a pair on my road bike

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
what's your process for gluing? or do you have a link to a process you follow? I am new to tubs and have a pair on my road bike

If you're going tubular, you might try Effetto Carogna tubular tape. Tap in general has had a bit of bad reputation, but my experience with this tape has been really good (for track purposes). Really solid adhesion. And way easier than gluing. And really easy to remove and replace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used tubulars for triathlon since 1990. Never a flat save once in transition not on the bike, after getting knocked down by a volunteer.

To glue, 2 thin layers on rim, one on the cotton backing, pumpnto full psi--dry overnight. Done.

I use Saran Wrap on my finger tip to put in on. Cheap and easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:

Three thin layers of glue on the rim. One thin layer on the tyre. Leave a gap in the glue of 2 inches opposite the valve (some will say this is more dangerous than setting fire to yourself). Let each layer of glue cure for 24h before applying the next.

Stand the wheel up, valve hole highest. Insert the valve into the valve hole and pull the tire down equally on both sides until it is mostly on. Flip the wheel and finish off. Inflate to around 30psi

Then get the wheel into something that allows you to spin it (eg the frame while the frame is in a stand). Spin the wheel. Look for where the tyre isn't seated right (it will be obvious). Stop the tyre and reseat that section. Repeat until it is all done.

Inflate fully and ride once round the block. Then inflate to 140psi+ and leave overnight to cure. Done.

Contis are notoriously too short and are bastards to mount. I use Veloflex Carbons which are easy and ride beautifully. Also used Michelin Pro4 and Bontragers which are fine (and also easy to mount).

Latex tubes lose air (maybe 40psi in 24h). I tend to pump mine to 140 when I drop the bike into transition last thing and they're good to go the next morning without needing more air. I have a track tubbie that folds down to the same size as a clincher tyre that I carry, pre-glued, as a spare.

I switched to tubs three years ago (808s and Super 9 on the tribike and Bora Ultras on the roadie) and wish I'd done so much sooner.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glue tape is slow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To get the lowest rolling resistance, you should put glue on the entire rim and use three coats.

If you flat, cut across the tire with a razor blade all the way through the tire. Stick your finger in the tire and peel it off like a snake.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

If I were going to to do IM, i''d race on tubies, less chance of a pinch flat, generally a few grams less weight, excellent Crr.
Changing a puncture takes practice tho
I use Schwalbe tubies on my hillclimb bike, great tires

res, non verba
Last edited by: RoYe: May 20, 17 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Tubulars? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone's tested Carogna yet. Could be wrong. My ghetto testing couldnt measure a difference vs. glue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said..I think this argument like always is going no where. Sealant works wonders in tubes. Had one flat ever in a race and that was on a Vittoria Crono.
Quote Reply