Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BB compatibility question
Quote | Reply
I am trying to replace my fatbike FSA megaexo bottom bracket and save a little money. I obviously already have the 100mm tube or whatever you call it. I seem to be able to find other shell widths megaexo's not designed for fatbikes for much cheaper. My question is can I get those (assuming correct crankset diameter) and just use the external cups from those with my existing tube?
Quote Reply
Re: BB compatibility question [severinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should be able to find the exact brand, model, and size that you need. It will probably cost around $25 for the whole bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: BB compatibility question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is looking like double that price which is annoyingly expensive. This is the one. https://www.modernbike.com/...mb_NMCFcO3wAodZ5gJhQ

The smaller ones with the same diameter I can find for around 30.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess it will work fine. Really as long as the bearing ID matches, the only requirement is to get the preload set properly. Not sure what they use now to set preload. My exeperiemce with FSA is outdated and they were always changing how they worked around Shimanos patent using things like o-rings and crush rings.
Quote Reply
Re: BB compatibility question [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So theoretically even a 24mm dia ultegra bb would be fine?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It can work, but it will be a tight fit. Although both are 24mm, it seems like Shimano is ever so slightly smaller than MegaExo. The difference is tiny, but it does make it a pain to get the crank in and out.
Quote Reply
Re: BB compatibility question [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that's what I've read... 24.03mm vs 24mm and a slightly different top cap or something along those lines. Thanks for the help to all. I got an 24mm FSA one for 29 bucks as opposed to 50 and will see if it works.
Quote Reply