Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Train with Music? [Nolabuckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never ride with music, never will, never would. I'm already stressed enough with cars not seeing me and all, not gonna add to that.

I always run with music except a few times in winter when snow removal is not ideal. Otherwise, for the roads I take, there is very little concern for me for cars. Except a few idiots not looking both ways when getting out of driveways (music or not would make no difference for these, and I am not well trained in spotting said idiots). I do sometimes very long runs (50+ km), and after 4h, music often is necessary to keep me going... I mean, you get to a point where sometimes you'd rather be home sipping a beer, so music either cheers me up to continue or keeps my mind off those thoughts, I dunno...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listen on the treadmill, but not on the roads and don't notice or miss it, but my runs aren't long either (4-5 miles). I won't listen on the bike. I couldn't hear people screaming "LEFT" if I had music on😂. Good luck, have fun at BOP (I do).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I thought about that as well prior to my race, however I realised it really helped me stay focused or zone out while running.

I had a playlist that was 1hr 30 mins long created and just went with it when running outside. Treadmill had to use Google Play to break up the boredom. Indoors on the bike, always music or Netflix (endurance) depending on the workout.

I never listened to music on the bike outdoors, or in the water.

Good luck with your race.
Quote Reply
Re: Train with Music? [Ben_82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for LSRs, I use the running bpm feature on Spotify app to keep my cadence up (been working on upping cadence this past of-season), 1-2 runs per week. Any other time I don't use music to train myself to get used to it.
On the bike: trainer, I use other forms of media, typically TV. Nothing on outside rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Train with Music? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Coros helmet and love it so far. Sounds is pretty good and the microphone works very well. At the same time I can hear cars and traffic on the road. The handlebar mounted remote helps FF, pause and start music and pick up the phone. Took a couple rides to dial in the jawbone mounts but all set now.

Banger
Quote Reply
Re: Train with Music? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Hi Troll,

Pots and kettles...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike:
Outdoors - nothing
Indoors - intervals = music; endurance/tempo = podcasts

Run:
Endurance = podcasts
Anything faster - nothing
Quote Reply
Re: Train with Music? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Trex Titanium from Aftershock.

It gets crowded between helmet straps and sunglasses but it seems to work just fine. Works better than visor/glasses/headphones.

https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium?variant=7698984833
Quote Reply
Re: Train with Music? [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started last year experimenting with the run then the bike and finally the swim. Now I use music everywhere. My first concern was the bike and safety. Turned out it was a none issue at least for me. Yes I can still hear the cars coming just not as far back as I did before. I played with all levels of sound. But what I really like it took away that anticipation when you hear a car behind you. I should mention I run bontrager flair rear light always to. If you have not used tunes while you swim you are missing something special. Bought a H2O underwater I pod shuffle. I use it in all swimming, pool, open water even group swims. Really need to experience this. I use the same I pod for running. LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Train with Music? [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck with music, listen to audio books.

I've always been into paperback books Then in my 30's I got hooked on books on tape. That was 20yrs ago. I listen to the books on tape when running, when cycling on a trainer, which is most of my cycling, and when lifting weights. The books on tape are part of my "reward system" that helps me do the workout instead of having a beer.

We have 3 kids in grade school. When they started showing up, the ability to go for long rides several times/wk went away, so there's been lots of early mornings on the stationary trainer, which sits in the garage in front of an AC unit. The books have been huge in keeping me from becoming pear shaped.

Since I only pick awesome books, being able to listen to my book makes that "reward system" highly effective. Many a time I've been hauling ass on the bike, heart beating out of my chest, tears streaming down my face because of the book. The "Game of Thrones" series of books, for example. Riding your ass off while crying like a school girl is an odd combo of emotional states.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply

Prev Next