Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running band/belt for carrying water?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to carry water with me on the run but have yet to find a traditional belt or handheld that I can stand (tried Nathan and Amphipod). Was thinking of trying out this:

http://www.nakedrunningband.com

or something similar and was wondering if anyone had used one for such a purpose.

Related, any particular bottle suggestions that are both easy to open and don't leak?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [shsbrim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just paced a marathon using something similar, but its called "flip belt". I like it a lot cause the bottles dont bounce out like they do on my "fuel belt" especially on steep hill races. Only problem is putting the bottles back in, cause its so secure. Next time i will use disposable water bottles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the naked running and and wanted to love it. The problem I had is that because the band is so thick it cannot sit just on your waist like a traditional belt can, so the elastic parts are more spread out and naturally sit against and squeeze on your stomach. It felt uncomfortable even just for a few minutes so I didn't think it would work well for an event, but who knows, maybe it would be fine. Otherwise seemed like a very nice product. I was bummmed it just wouldn't work for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just FYI they are supposed to be releasing a new and improved 'version 2' of the naked band in June. I think I may give it a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amphipod. I found them last year - very customizable with water bottles, gel flasks, phone cases, bib holders, etc. I used it in multiple races and training and love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Naked Running Band almost daily for about 18 months now. Absolutely love it. I think it's the best waist band out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
I've been using a Naked Running Band almost daily for about 18 months now. Absolutely love it. I think it's the best waist band out there.

can you put a race number on it?
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does not have race number tabs although you could safety pin a number to it. I pin my number on my run shorts - just a runner now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran the Marine Corps Marathon with my wife a few years ago as her first marathon. She wanted to have a phone along (don't ask), so I picked up a Fitletic running belt at the expo that had a space large enough for my iPhone. I've actually come to like it and use it on most long runs. The downside is that it only holds just under 20 oz (each bottle holds a bit more than 8 oz). I've used a FuelBelt and Camelback in the past, and prefer the Fitletic - it stays put w/out any bouncing when properly tightened.

I'm planning on using the belt for Eagleman in a few weeks. One of the bottles will hold gels mixed with water and the other will hold water that has a few salt pills mixed in - also has bib # attachments for race day.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lost the belly fat, none of the belts would stay down for me. I'd end up wearing them as a midriff. Switched to the Nathan hand held bottle for training and never looked back. Since it has the strap that goes around your hand, it doesn't really feel like you're gripping it the whole time.

For racing I use a plain fitletic belt that fits a few gels and salt and has the bib holders and live off the aid stations for hydration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the "Fuelbelt Helium 4" and have been pretty happy with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it does-see website for pics
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 19, 17 9:32
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
natethomas wrote:
I ran the Marine Corps Marathon with my wife a few years ago as her first marathon. She wanted to have a phone along (don't ask), so I picked up a Fitletic running belt at the expo that had a space large enough for my iPhone. I've actually come to like it and use it on most long runs. The downside is that it only holds just under 20 oz (each bottle holds a bit more than 8 oz). I've used a FuelBelt and Camelback in the past, and prefer the Fitletic - it stays put w/out any bouncing when properly tightened.

I'm planning on using the belt for Eagleman in a few weeks. One of the bottles will hold gels mixed with water and the other will hold water that has a few salt pills mixed in - also has bib # attachments for race day.

Did you have any belt rotation issues with that belt? I seem to have my belt annoyingly rotate all over the place while I'm running and never settles the bottles down at my sides.
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
natethomas wrote:

Did you have any belt rotation issues with that belt? I seem to have my belt annoyingly rotate all over the place while I'm running and never settles the bottles down at my sides.

No - Not quite sure what you mean by rotating. Like having the bottle holders end up on the inside? I've always thought it was a great belt for someone who doesn't need a ton of hydration or can stop to refill along the way on a longer run.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Running band/belt for carrying water? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant for me, the belt and bottles start turning around so the bottles are sometimes in front, in back, even though the belt doesn't slip up or down. I had this with a similar-appearing Amphipod belt that was highly rated - drove me nuts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is it that you don't like about the belts or handhelds you have tried? You need to also consider how much water you want to carry, if it's more than 24oz or so then you may be better off with a vest.

The Nathan VaporKrar looks similar to the naked band you mentioned, check that one out.
Quote Reply