Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Yellowstone in Aug--worth taking a bike?
Quote | Reply
I'm camping with my family for a week on the south end of Yellowstone lake. I can bring a road or cross or MTB if there are places to ride not choked with distracted motorists.

Any advice from those who have been there in August?
Quote Reply
Re: Yellowstone in Aug--worth taking a bike? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I worked a summer there, forget about road riding.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Yellowstone in Aug--worth taking a bike? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are there dirt fire roads or gated truck trails in the park?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few things.

1. If you can ride Beartooth Pass do that.
2. Riding in the park during the day is a death wish. Period.
3. Riding in the park at the crack of dawn is probably a decently safe option.

I was there mid July a couple years ago and saw a few cyclists out during the day. It's nuts. HEAVY traffic and basically zero shoulder. And everyone looking for wildlife and not cyclists.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Yellowstone in Aug--worth taking a bike? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i keep hearing that. i'm like smack dab in the middle of the park
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a cross bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few old dirt roads in the park that are open to bikes, but its pretty minimal. Fountain freight road is one of them. They actaully rent bikes from the Old Faithful complex, so I am sure they could point you in the right direction. There are a lot of nice dirt roads just outside the park in W. Yellowstone that would be great riding, but thats probably over an hour drive from where you're going to be. Wouldn't ride on the main park roads unless its before 7am and you're brave.
Last edited by: Lav: May 18, 17 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you're going for the eclipse? (Aug 21)

Grand Tetons great place for a hike, also yellowstone

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You cannot mountain bike in Yellowstone or Grand Teton NP for that matter. There are a couple of fire roads that allow bikes but no cars, but those are very limited and not near the lake. There is fantastic riding around the park for road or mountain bikes, and the trails are smooth enough in some of the national forests south of there that I have done them on a loaded touring bike (and I only have average bike handling skills) so you could do them on a CX bike.

However, if you bike in that area, you do need bear spray. According to a forest ranger I spoke to, grizzlies get freaked out by bikes and will bluff charge them.

ETA: You need to take proper weather gear. The weather there is extremely unpredictable. I grew up near there and thought I could read it, but when I rode through Yellowstone on my bike, there was one day when the weather went from 65 and sunny to in the 30s with driving sleet and lightning in about an hour. Most of my gear was in camp and I didn't even have a space blanket with me. My jacket, hat, and gloves were quickly soaked with sleet. By the time I found an unheated cabin for shelter, I was hypothermic. That was in August.
Last edited by: happyscientist: May 19, 17 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: Yellowstone in Aug--worth taking a bike? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes riding through the park a death wish? Motorists? That's unfortunate....I spent a few days riding through Big Bend National Park and it was amazing -- would have loved to do the same at many other National Parks.
Quote Reply
Re: Yellowstone in Aug--worth taking a bike? [ligersandtions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's LOADED with traffic. At times bumper to bumper traffic jambs for miles. And zero shoulder. Just the zero shoulder alone is crazy. Sure the first car in the line sees you, but what about the 2nd, 3rd, 10th car? Do they see you? I ride outdoors many thousands of miles per year. I wouldn't do it there mid day.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there last October when all but one campground was closed, and I did bring my bike but didn't end up riding. More out of family obligations and it was really cold in the morning. But even though I visited a bit out of peak season, I don't think I would have ridden past 8 or 9 a.m. The roads are narrow and packed with cars.

There are very few dirt roads in the park, we drove one near the NW corner where our campground was. It would be a fun excursion on a cross or mountain bike but short.
Quote Reply
Re: Yellowstone in Aug--worth taking a bike? [ligersandtions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not necessarily just the motorists, it's the sheer numbers with an inadequate road system for the amount of people and lack of shoulders. Not to mention, the drivers are looking for wildlife and scenery, on road with often times short visibility because it's the mountains. Every spring they do a week or so when bikes are allowed but cars are not, that would be when I would want to bike the park.

There are other national parks that are more fitting for a good bike trip. It's just smart to know what to do where.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there ~ 5 years ago. We stayed in/around the park for the week. I rode the whole 'Grand Loop' in three legs, riding every other day. Day 1 Mammoth HS to Lake Yellowstone, Day 2 Lake Yellowstone to West Yellowstone, Day 3 West Yellowstone to Mammoth. I was usually up and riding by 9 or so and had almost no issues with traffic or crowding. I did get stuck in one backup behind a car accident but it wasn't a big deal.

The catch? We went after Labor Day (early September) when things were not as busy.

Honestly that trip was some of the most fun I've had on a road bike. Way, way, way better way to see the park than all the poor saps stuck in their RV's. Got some great photos and had a blast. Got to ride over the continental divide twice.

If you do ride, pay attention to the wind which can be significant especially in the afternoons. Plan your rides to go with the wind, not against. Also, if you are not used to the altitude it can be an issue trying to ride hard. Mammoth HS is at about 6k feet. I got up to ~ 9k feet at the highest. Good luck.
Quote Reply