Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Lactate Threshold Score on Garmin Watch/HRM
Quote | Reply
I recently did a lactate threshold test on my Fenix3 using my HRM chest strap at the running track. I wanted to see how I score in comparison to others in my age or other age groups given race times listed below.

Garmin LT: 163bpm
5K PR 20:46
10K PR 45:02
Half PR 1:42:37
Garmin VO2 Max: 51-54 (depending on how much running I have been doing)

I run about 10-15 miles per week on average but sometimes more/less. The highest I have ever seen my HR go on a recorded workout was 183bpm. In Sprint distance races or 5Ks I find myself to be front of the pack. Maybe I am not racing anyone special who knows :P I am an ex smoker and lived a more gamer lifestyle in years past. Never been overweight but I am sure years of that lifestyle has an impact on my potential and current state.

How accurate would you say these Garmin tests are in comparison to something more controlled? I am thinking of doing another test soon to compare but not sure how much stake I should put into these numbers.

Please share your numbers and indicate your level of fitness. Just trying to gauge where I am at among the masses and given background.
Last edited by: NotSoFast80: May 18, 17 8:15
Quote Reply
Re: Running Lactate Threshold Score on Garmin Watch/HRM [NotSoFast80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit confused by your questions. It depends how you set up your LT test. But to answer the one question about the devise. Consistency in testing is the most important. If you can duplicate the exact test each time you should be able to gauge your fitness level.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Re: Running Lactate Threshold Score on Garmin Watch/HRM [NotSoFast80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would expect your LTHR to be a bit higher given your age.

Garmin numbers are typically over optimistic. Compare what the race predictor says vs your actual PB's to get a sense for how optimistic.

I think the numbers are fun to follow the trend, but not much you can do with them.

You have some talent as your times are pretty good on 10 - 15 mpw. If you want to see improvements then up your mileage. I would work towards 20 - 25 mow to start.

For reference

Garmin LT has me at 163 bpm (my max is 174 bpm) and VO2 Max of 61 as a 39 yo M. I'm a sub 20 5k (barely) 40 10 k and 128 HM runner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The numbers are a guide only. What is more important is the long term trend, particularly if you are training specifically to affect aerobic capacity, aerobic or anaerobic threshold, lactate threshold. Get a measurement at the start of the specific program. Get a measure at the end. Has it moved in the right direction? If not why not?

As a guide for numbers:

Male 60 yrs old. 80kg, 166cm
LHT 161 (running) 157 (cycling)
VO2max 48-51 ml/kg/min Garmin, lab tested 49 ml/kg/min
5k PR 22:48
10 PR 48:12
1/2 M 1:43:9

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: May 18, 17 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those VO2max numbers seem quite high compared to everyone's 5K times vs

https://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2race.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Running Lactate Threshold Score on Garmin Watch/HRM [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I agree. No way I am I the caliber of runner a VO2 max of 61 would suggest.

I have seen it go up over the past year - so, I am happy with the trend but either I don't know how to suffer enough to reach my potential or the number is no where close to accurate in absolute terms.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Lactate Threshold Score on Garmin Watch/HRM [pokey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pokey wrote:
Those VO2max numbers seem quite high compared to everyone's 5K times vs

https://www.brianmac.co.uk/vo2race.htm

How much faith can you have in those numbers? Are they referring to Daniel's VDOt? VO2max in ml/kg/min is relative to body mass - hence the /kg. If the calculation gave you the opportunity to input mass, then there might be some relevance. As it stands, it's just a number.

Garmin's calculations might be way off (although mine tie in with lab results reasonably well) but they do take into account body mass.

An interesting read on the fallacy of VO2max as a training tool - http://www.scienceofrunning.com/...2max-and-vo2max.html

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Running Lactate Threshold Score on Garmin Watch/HRM [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a very interesting paper. One more thing to not worry about.
Quote Reply