Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
I have a race coming up this Saturday that I am looking forward to. It's going to be an epic local sprint race throw-down amongst my friends and aquaintances. But over today and tomorrow we are getting 9 inches of snow. Race morning water will be 55-57 degrees. Air forecast to be 37 at race start. Partly coudy conditions.

Race director last night said we're definitely swimming (though I would not be surprised if that changes on race morning).

I never thought I'd be one of those guys biking in their wetsuit, but if we do swim on Saturday, I'm thinking that might be the best choice. What say you guys?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: May 18, 17 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a pool-swim triathlon this past weekend. The pool water temperature was 82 degrees. Once out of the water, we went into 40 degree air (according to my Garmin 520) with pouring rain and. It was a nasty nine mile ride. I managed to squeeze into a semi-dry long-sleeved top but couldn't get my gloves on. I was wetter coming off the bike than out of the pool.

Yes, I kidded about wearing a wetsuit but in reality it probably would have been impractical :-).
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're racing the Summer Open Sprint in Longmont. I'm racing it too, and very much considering wearing my wetsuit on the bike as well.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Summer Open. Always a fun race.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except this year!

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you chose the right gear it could still be fun!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm racing this year as well! I did Boise 70.3 in 2012 when Matty Reed and several other pros rode in their wetsuits. The funniest memory I have from that day is being relieved after getting into the 53-ish degree water because it was so much warmer than air temp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
If you chose the right gear it could still be fun!

Right! Toe warmers and hand warmers are already on the race day checklist.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! I was about to reply with some snide comment, thinking, "What weather do these crazy westerners think is cold now?" ...but that is probably right about where I would make that call! How long is the ride? 20k or less, I say you are free to stay in neoprene! Up to 40k, I'd weigh against how long it would take for you to transition to thermal wear. If you'll be over an hour, take the time to dry off and get cozy!
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a 20.6k bike. I rode that course in 2 different races last year, once in 30:10 and once in 30:03.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
It's a 20.6k bike. I rode that course in 2 different races last year, once in 30:10 and once in 30:03.

In a wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm bringing knobbies and my cross bike. Cross country spikes for the run.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:

Haha, are you expecting there still to be snow on the ground or is this supposed to be in pink?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

Haha, are you expecting there still to be snow on the ground or is this supposed to be in pink?

Partially pink, but not counting it out.

Looks like Longmont is getting more rain than snow.

I'm actually contemplating wearing a garbage bag "base layer" under my tri suit to keep the core wind proofed.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doublea334 wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
doublea334 wrote:

Partially pink, but not counting it out.

Looks like Longmont is getting more rain than snow.

I'm actually contemplating wearing a garbage bag "base layer" under my tri suit to keep the core wind proofed.

I bought a space blanket yesterday for a similar base layer plan.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're going to see some record long T1/T2 times for sure.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello RowToTri and All,

This might work quite nicely ... to keep you warm on the bike ..... and aero too .... probably slicker than many aero suits.

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/t1-wetsuits

Two piece top .... just strip of bibjohn at T1 .... (worn on outside) ...... keep top on for bike ..... might work OK.

Disclaimer: Never tried it with mine .... possibly bibjohn on outside would cause some drag in swim .... ??

I am going to test it sometime .... before I would try it in a race ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXER9fzhFSc

Take top off at T2 ...... comes off quick ................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcX2dMvLtEg

Toasty warm.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't. If you do, I'd put in an order for a new wetsuit now since you'll destroy yours biking in it. You're saddle height will effectively be 3-5mm higher while wearing one which may throw off your position. I'd be surprised if you could put out the same power in one since it's so restrictive. (And hot probably)

Not sure if this post is a joke. If it is then haha, if not my advice is above
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably would hurt the suit.

Suppose you could lube it up where it hits the seat to keep down the friction :-p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Problem solved. The latest update is water temp dropped to 45 this morning, the swim is cancelled. We'll get a nice 1.5 warmup run in its place.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i say find a 1x, get some pogies (37F air!) and go row.
you'll be warmer.

but seriously, the wife and i did a sprint last year w/ water temp 56 and air temp 51.
it was also lightly raining.
i put a jacket and gloves on in T1.
the wife could not feel her toes on the run.
was a memorably terrible experience.
and the air temp was 15F warmer than what you're doing.

not pro, too cold (for me).

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: May 19, 17 4:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
Problem solved. The latest update is water temp dropped to 45 this morning, the swim is cancelled. We'll get a nice 1.5 warmup run in its place.

Jackpot. :D

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Conditions like that would be an instant DNS for me. I'm not doing this to be completely miserable.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: What conditions would it take to get you to ride in your wetsuit? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
...I'm not doing this to be completely miserable.

Yes, you are! We all are! It's the whole point of the sport! If you can handle more misery than everyone else, you win!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hail Balls
Quote Reply